Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to how tightly riding gloves should fit...Should they be like batting glove tight? or should it be like winter ski gloves tight? I'm just wondering b/c I just bought a nice pair of gloves and not that I've tried them on a few more times, I'm wondering if I should've gotten a smaller pair and stretched out the leather. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
you'll want the glove to feel comfortable but not too tight... as long as it's not loose to the point that it bunches if you grip the throttle tightly or roll on the throttle it should be okay. Gloves will stretch so as long as the fingers aren't too long or too short for you, they should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
One of the small details to look at - the more curved position the gloves are cut for, the tighter they can fit your hand without bunching up on the palm side. Some gloves are visibly more curved like your grip position on the handlebar.

But don't go tight enough to restrict circulation in your hands.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
The most important factor to me is that the glove does not put pressure on the tip of thumb, index finger, or the webbing in between. I'd rather have a glove slightly too big, than one slightly too tight, that pulls even tighter when you grab ther bars and makes your fingers numb. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can't go wrong if you go into a dealer and try a few on and ask a few questions.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I prefer gloves with a velcro strip across the back of the hand so that you can make them more secure.

Although when I crashed in October, the gloves didn't have that feature and stayed on even while I was breaking my hand and scraping the other one up. They were Olympia Kevlar gloves and came close to failing, but they didn't fail and I have no injuries that I can blame on them.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The palm and fingers should fit closely but comfortably. You want to make sure that there isn't a lot of extra leather/material, especially around the upper part of your palm as it will tend to cause blisters on long rides.

Most leather gloves will stretch a bit in circumference, so if the glove is a tad snug but the fingers are the right lenghth, I'd probably err to the snug side. (I've got a set of Frank Thomas gloves that stretched so much that they became too large to wear except when I'm wearing gloveliners under then in winter)

A glove with a kangaroo leather or other thin leather in the palms can give better feel and less chance of blisters, but make sure that they are reinforced at the heel of the palm for better abraision resistance.

SRN has made the best point. No matter what you find comfortable for your hand, I believe that glove should have an extra closure on the front or back of the wrists to help ensure that the glove is retained in a crash. Several years ago my brother was on his bike and had someone change lanes into him on the freeway. As he slid down the concrete he lost his gloves and his natural reaction to try to stop sliding was to try to stop himself with his hands. By the time he had stopped he had ground or tore the fingernails out of his hands.

HTH,
--Fillmore

1 - 7 of 7 Posts