Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the feeling that this is going to be a really short discussion with lots of people saying "HELD!"

I am replacing my old gear piece by piece. I'm working out the glove situation. I'm considering the following gloves:

CompanyGloveCost EstimateLinky
AlpinestarsSPS$70http://tinyurl.com/vtl2l
AlpinestarsGP Pro$180http://tinyurl.com/yypfeg
HeldAkira$200http://tinyurl.com/yylr2k
HeldNinja$100http://tinyurl.com/y6h9u9

I have tried on the two A* gloves. They fit and felt great. The difference between the two (as far as I can tell) is the gauntlet and I am not sure whether I need the gauntlet. Any thoughts on gauntlets? The Held Ninja looks like it has the beginnings of one...

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks, guys.

EDIT: I pinged the local board for suggestions about places to try on Held gloves in Phoenix. I'm hoping that pans out...

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
swerdna said:
I have the feeling that this is going to be a really short discussion with lots of people saying "HELD!"

I am replacing my old gear piece by piece. I'm working out the glove situation. I'm considering the following gloves:

CompanyGloveCost EstimateLinky
AlpinestarsSPS$70http://tinyurl.com/vtl2l
AlpinestarsGP Pro$180http://tinyurl.com/yypfeg
HeldAkira$200http://tinyurl.com/yylr2k
HeldNinja$100http://tinyurl.com/y6h9u9

I have tried on the two A* gloves. They fit and felt great. The difference between the two (as far as I can tell) is the gauntlet and I am not sure whether I need the gauntlet. Any thoughts on gauntlets? The Held Ninja looks like it has the beginnings of one...

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks, guys.
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I had bought a pair of A*'s and found them to be stiff, and my hand cramped pretty quick. I think I may have got the wrong size. Then I picked up a pair of Held's and they seemed to be a lot better.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Can't speak to the Held's, but within probably 8 months of part-time riding, my 2006 Alpinestars SP2's had started to lose a seam in the palm area. Plus there's a seam at the end of the thumb that causes mine to go numb. Next time I'm going with something else.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I have Held Akira. They use Kangaroo leathers, and it fits like a glove day one (oh, I mean they are comfortable).
I have tried A* at the stores, and I found them too stiff for my personal taste.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the Held's Galaxy for my "fast" type riding and the Steve's for distance.
The fit is great. My only comment to this is buy a perfect fit. These gloves do not give. The size you buy is the size they stay. Great gloves. My Galaxy's have ~40,000 miles and the Steve's ~15,000 with no stitching problems.
They do come in 1/2 sizes, so take your time if you purchase them and make sure they fit well.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I own both the A* SPS gloves and the Held Steve gloves. For me the A*'s will take longer to break in, and don't feel as nice as the Held gloves. The kangaroo leather is great stuff, and because of it I can "feel" the bike much better through the Held gloves than anything else I've owned.

As far as construction quality, I had to send back the first pair of A* SPS's I had due to an incorrectly stiched thumb. The tip of the thumb as stiched to a point instead of a nice round curve, and I discovered that this was pinching my thumb to the point of cutting circulation off after riding for a while. The replacement pair of gloves they sent me ended up being too small and fit way way to tight. So far I've had no issue with the construction of the Held gloves.

All in all, I'm going to stick with Held from here on out. Next spring I plan to get a pair of Held Akira gloves.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'm a firm believer in gauntlets; good overlap between glove and jacket could make a big difference when the big one hits!

I have two pairs of A*. No quarrel with either, but I aspire to Held Galaxy's ;D

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
i have a couple pairs of a* gp pros. i like the look (and they match my other a* stuff), but honestly they're not very comfortable. even when they're "broken in," they're still stiff and scratchy.

my held gloves, on the other hand (no pun intended) have been super comfy from pretty much day 1.

and like crash! said, gauntlets are your friend to cover the gap between your jacket and gloves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a firm believer in top quality gear, and haven't been disappointed with my Held Steves. I have 2000 mi on them (no crashes), so that's not the greatest test in the world, but I just wanted to add to the feedback.

I could see going with no gauntlets for very low-key riding, but if you're riding with any speed, why chance it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a pair of SPSes, that have served me well for about a year. I picked them up because they were the most feature-rich non-gauntlet glove I could find at the time - reinforcements, kevlar palms, and solid knuckle protection.
In terms of breaking in, I bought what I thought at first was a pair about 1/4 size too small. Over the course of a month they stretched out, and I now have no complaints about the fit- so, expect breaking in to happen in the form of some expansion and molding to your hand. The leather was pretty supple to begin with.
If you do buy these, be careful to pull them on using the leather flap by the palm, and not the velcro tab. I had to have my repaired after ripping off one of the tabs. Aside from that, no complaints about quality - no bleeding, no stitching problems.
I do like Held, as they seem to have all the ingredients to make a good glove, but after reading RiDE's review of the A*s GP plus, they are at the top of my list.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a pair of Held Akira gloves. They are the only gloves I own. They are great!
They are VERY comfortable. If you read about Held gloves you will buy them. They are supposed to be one of the safest and best made gloves.

Ara

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Held Galaxies, nothing better. A* is alright, but the helds are amazing. The studded palm is a brilliant design and the roo skin is the cat's pyjamas. Spend the extra money, you'll be glad you did when your hand doesn't look like this...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
chocwheaton said:
Just in case you would consider something a bit different, I've got a pair of these coming in the post: http://www.motostrano-store.com/ramekagl.html

Shite name, but they got a good review on webbikeworld and a couple of other forums I've seen: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/racer-gloves/
Choc
These gloves are Awesome! I got mine a couple weeks ago, and they are sweet! [thumbsup] You'll be really happy w/ them Choc. By the way, there is the waterproof version as well that I got for my other half, also very, very nice. Here's a pic of the highends:

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
Wow. I always knew excessive masturbation could cause blindness, but never did I picture it could be this bad! I'm cutting back... to three times at day... and only at work...

[laugh]

Anyway, I have Held Akiras and Galaxys. Fantastic gloves that fit really well. I have yet to crash test them. I also wore a pair of A* SPS for a year. Although I never experienced any failure on them, they streteched a half to whole size within a couple of months. The leather got real loose. YMMV.

BTW, a seller on eBay is blowing out their Akiras for $150 shipped.

Good luck!!!

Lester

darylbowden said:
Held Galaxies, nothing better. A* is alright, but the helds are amazing. The studded palm is a brilliant design and the roo skin is the cat's pyjamas. Spend the extra money, you'll be glad you did when your hand doesn't look like this...

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
darylbowden said:
I really liked the Held Galaxies; very comfortable....But,

the Palm Buttons do not always 'work'....
And....there is no finger bridge...so the small finger pulls away and the leather separates...now I wear the A*s with the finger bridge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Well, here's the glove afterwards...

And, the reason I don't wear the gloves with the fingerbridge is because I use my middle and ring fingers to brake, no pinky. Those gloves bother the hell out of me because I don't want them connected, I can't blip and brake as well with them combined like that...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I have both Alpinestars GP Pro (1 year) and Held Krypton (nearly 4 years). I have only had 1 small spill with the Helds at around 5mph when a car ran into the back of my old Gixxer in a traffic jam.. they worked fine.

I must say the Held gloves have amazing quality and I couldn´t really ask for better after sales service - 3 odd years after purchasing them, the pinky finger on the right glove was looking worse for wear so I contacted Held. They collected the gloves FOC and replaced the finger FOC and sent the back to Spain (Held based in Germany, me based in Spain).. and they said if it ever happened again, they´d fix them.

The A* gloves are nice put not as soft as the Helds and took longer to break in but overall I feel safer with the A* when I´m hooning around with my bike and have more of a probability of falling off etc.

Now, I want waterproof winter gloves just as good as my summer gloves but ones that keep my fingers nice and toasty.. I was thinking Dainese Jericho. Any thoughts?

NuTTs

·
Banned
33 Posts
Just for Ridin', I use the Dainese HellFire gloves. They work pretty good. You can tighten them at the wrist and the forearm. A buddy of mine wears these big gaunlet gloves straight out of Mad Max beyond Thunderdome, he loves 'em. I say, try on many gloves, because just like boots, ya gotta be comfortable. Laters, S...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts