Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new bike I wear a full face helmet. I need a good pair of glasses for when the shield is up. They need to block wind well for when I am twistin' the wick. I would also like some impact resitance. I took a goose turd in the right eye last week. I had glasses on but they do not fit right under the helmet. If a big turd can find its way through than so could a little rock.

What do you wear?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Wiley-X makes many different styles of ballistic glasses. This link is for the "no tears" line that has very subtle padding around the eyes to keep sand, wind, goose turds, etc. out. I have a pair of the XL-1s, with two sets of lenses (smoke/clear). I like them a lot, and they're very secure.
I have another pair of Wiley-X glasses in a more "tactical" style that lasted through several sandstorms and firefights. Nary a scratch on them. Worth the money, and no, I don't own stock in the company.

http://www.wiley-x.com/noTearsSeries.php

http://www.wiley-x.com/xl1.php

Should we move this over to "Gear?"

G

·
As Sapper said Wiley X makes great ballistic glasses. I also have a pair of Oakley M Frames. They have ballistic lenses and multiple shades for different lighting conditions. The Oakleys are more expensive, but worth it IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
It's hard to get glasses to fit properly under a helmet, HJC makes a " glasses friendly" helmet and it is still hard to get them to fit in that helmet
My husband wears glasses, so we have been trying all kinds of helmets on lately. He normally ( does the bad thing) and doesn't wear a helmet, but we were looking for a full face for him, and so far have been unsuccessful in finding one that is comfortable on his head with his glasses!

I have been tempted to wear glasses when riding in the rain, cause I have to crack the shield to get rid of fogging , and the rain gets in! But like I say, it's hard to fit glasses under a fullface helmet.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
He does have the WileyX prescription goggles and likes them. But they won't fit under the helmet either. :-/

G

·
I have a Shoei RF-900 helmet and both my perscription glasses and all my sunglasses (I usually wear contacts) it under them fine. Wiley-X has a pair (XL-2) which lightens up what you see when its kind of dark but still breaks up the glare. Well worth it when riding in the morning with the varying light levels.

Do most people have a problem wih glasses and helmets?

The Shoei RF-900 is a comfortable helmet also.

Good luck,

Tom.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Any pair of Oakley's. Ballistic lens's. Shoie RF-900 and no problems with glasses fitting inside.

G

·
I've got a pair of Oakley Valve Ducati sunglasses. I got them from Ebay. They are nice and fit great. The best part about oakley's is that they don't have the part that goes behind your ear. That make for putting them on much easier since your ears are usually hard to get behind once they are in the helmet. I have an RF-1000 that I wear them with.

Tom E

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I've got a KBC fullface and I always wear my Arnette Raven sunglasses when the sun's up. They fit fine under my helmet, I can barely feel they're there. My faceshield is usually all the way up unless I'm riding on the freeway. After dark I just use the clear faceshield on my helmet and keep it cracked a tad so it doesn't fog up. I like the look of the Oakleys but I have a big melon so I'd need to try them before dropping the $$. Cheers,
Hanns

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I wear Oakleys as well. I dont know if they are still called Frogskins or what. They are the regular plastic frame with straight side pieces which fit in really easily. I saw a demo once of the Oakley lenses taking a shotgun blast and not cracking. Oh, and I do not endorse trying that while they are on your face- the stuff that dont hit the lenses really hurts.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I'll volunteer Loki for rocksalt testing! 3" magnum or 3

·
Registered
204 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm an optometrist! You didn't say if these need to be prescription lenses or not, so that makes a difference. I wear a Bell Pro-Star full face helmet. My prescription glasses fit easily under it and are comfortable to me. My frame is metal- titanium, for strength and corrosion resistance- with a very narrow temple for comfort. They also take a magnetic clip-on sun lens for bright days. Make sure your lenses are polycarbonate for impact resistance- Look for a Z-87 certification on non-prescription lenses. But polycarbonate scratches easily, so Sapper (love that name!) probably has good intel on the dust/sand resistance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A GOOSE TURD IN THE EYE? :D :D :D :D

that is by far the funniest visual i have had all week!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

roflmao!!!!!

how does that happen? goose turds and like small dog turds! in the EYE!!!!! oh jesus...whew. man...hehehehe. buzzing along....OH>>>AHHHHH, eeek! GOOSE TURD!!! oh god!!

tell another story!

what does a goose turd at full velocity actually feel like?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Interesting. I don't doubt what you're saying, but I've been wearing glasses under a full face helmet for >30 years. Never had an issue w/ fit.

It's hard to get glasses to fit properly under a helmet, HJC makes a " glasses friendly" helmet and it is still hard to get them to fit in that helmet
My husband wears glasses, so we have been trying all kinds of helmets on lately. He normally ( does the bad thing)

G

·
FogTech

lll0228, we make FogTech and appreciate your comments. The Shoei line of helmet faceshields are the toughest to coat, but FogTech works on them too.

Let me know if I can use your quote on my website.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
After I saw this thread I figured I'd give the idea a whirl. Since I never know how late I'll be riding home from work, I wear the tinted shield in the A.M. and carry the clear in case I go home after dark. So, I've switched to just the clear, and I wear my Wiley-Xs if it's sunny. Beats packing the extra shield, and I can keep the shield open until I hit the freeway. Hmm, that kinda helps ventilation a little.... Can't believe it took me this long to figure it out.

I do miss the "dark-visor-Terminator" effect, though...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can't say enough about my Smith sunglasses and my husband loves his too.

http://www.smithsport.com/products/sunglass/slider_index.html

Check out the Slider series. Interchangeable lenses and generally comes with 3 different lenses when you buy them. Hubby has the Mainlines and I had the Toasters (had because they were stolen when our truck was broken into at the hockey game :mad: ). Don't even notice them under a full face helmet. I miss my Toasters so much. :-/ Definitely need to buy new ones.

G

·
i used to have the same problem.
but aftre my last eye exam, the optometrist said that prescrition had changed enough to warrant new lenses. i also am lucky enough to have an eye program through work. after bending the crap out of my last few pair of frames trying to stick them in my helmet, i finally opted for a pair of Flexon frames (I believe others might have a version called twistaflex) which allows the frames to be bent in all sorts of ways without actually screwing up the fit. it also comes in handy with a baby ( ;D ). i also invested in 2 tinted shields and an extra clear shield for my helmet. leave one pair at work and the other at home and I will always have a shield for any occasion. but i got sick and tired of killing sunglasses inside my helmets as well.

does anyone know if they make prescription oakleys?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts