Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys give people **** who ride without gear?

I tend to leave most folks alone if it comes up outside of an actual ride, but I don't ride with guys who do the T-shirt thing and the guys I do ride with will ask new people to gear up or not join us.

I tend to think of this forum as a professional, pro-gear group, and because of that also expect some polite pressure on others to wear good gear. It's obviously everyone's individual choice, but it's nice to find folks where the norm is leather and it's expected to give new riders some strong-arming to set aside funds for protection. Not allways the case on the net.

Chris

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Lead by example and with some good natured ribbing. Anything beyond that is not likely to be successful anyway.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
CRASH! said:
Lead by example and with some good natured ribbing. Anything beyond that is not likely to be successful anyway.
That's probably the best way in general. This sites very good about that. Very pro gear from the outset and help plant the seed in new folks mind that 'gear is good'

If it's someone you know well, you can try various other ploys, or just flat out harrasment depending on their personality type.

I used a mix of guilt, scoffing at lame excuses and persistence to get one of the otehr locals to beef up their gear compliment.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Statler said:
Do you guys give people **** who ride without gear?

I tend to leave most folks alone if it comes up outside of an actual ride, but I don't ride with guys who do the T-shirt thing and the guys I do ride with will ask new people to gear up or not join us.

I tend to think of this forum as a professional, pro-gear group, and because of that also expect some polite pressure on others to wear good gear. It's obviously everyone's individual choice, but it's nice to find folks where the norm is leather and it's expected to give new riders some strong-arming to set aside funds for protection. Not allways the case on the net.

Chris
i was just thinking about this last weekend

i had my bike outside the garage while i cleaned, and apparently i have a squidly-girl neighbor.
i was curious who the hell was reving their cbgixxeryzf 11tybillion inside their garage - so i peak my head out to see a girl in a white sweatshirt and -designer- jeans putting on her helmet (i'm sure she wouldn't if it weren't illegal).

i shake my head and go back to my cleaning, while she rides past she cruises down the street at about 9krpm in first gear

i was trying to figure out how the hell do you talk to people like that?
i'm a young kid, and would never ride without my gear - but how do you tell that to the squids?

i'm uncool, and i don't think they will listen to me

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
MrFry said:
so i peak my head out to see a girl in a white sweatshirt and -designer- jeans putting on her helmet
Long sleeves and jeans? Shoot, thats better than half the people I see on rice rockets (SC and AZ), and 75% of the Harley riders.

What gets me is the people who know better, like my MSF instructor friend. I have to give him a hard time because he should know better than to take off for a 5mile ride in a tshirt, no helmet, gloves, etc; unfortunately, he does it all the time.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
how about educating the msf instructors? in both occassions when i took my msf basic rider & experienced rider courses, there was no real emphasis on safety gear. the 3 msf instructors at basic rider course only made mention of helmet law in ca. never touched on the subject of protective clothing. the experience rider coaches only mentioned that they do not recommend wearing shorts & flip flops.

i was the only one in class that showed up in experience rider course in 2-piece leather & riding boots. they pointed out my attire was excessive for street riding & denims would be ideal. i kept my mouth shut since i wasn't the one running the class & wanted to get through the day.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CRASH! said:
+1

I've toned down my gear harassment recently, doesn't get you very far with most people. I just always ride in full leather and hope that people can see from my example that it's not too much of a big deal.

Excessive? WTF? That's really not cool. :-\

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Calvin56 said:
Long sleeves and jeans? Shoot, thats better than half the people I see on rice rockets (SC and AZ), and 75% of the Harley riders.
well it was a little cold

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Statler said:
Do you guys give people nuts who ride without gear?

Chris
Define gear...Sometimes I wear fashion type leather motorcycle jacket with no padding or thick cotton Brogden Track motorcycle jacket in the summertime. You will never catch me riding in just a T-shirt though. Just wondering if that would be grounds for ribbing? ;D

BTW
I was stuck in some pretty heavy traffic last summer and was wondering why. I finally pullled up to see a VERY SMOKING HOT GIRL riding with only a tiny tank top w/ Spaghetti type straps. Her shirt was flapping around the wind like crazy and I guess everyone was slowing down to take a look. I coudn't believe she would ride like that!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I've got a friend w/ an S4R who happens to have a 3 year old daughter. Said daughter is NOT afraid to say anything to anyone. Many times she's seen guys pull up on bikes w/o helmets and she'll tell them.... "You should be wearing a helmet. What heppens if you fall off your motorcycle?"

While going out and having a kid just so she can speak pro gear is a bit drastic, you could always borrow the neightbor kid and do some coaching. [laugh]

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
scoprire said:
I've got a friend w/ an S4R who happens to have a 3 year old daughter. Said daughter is NOT afraid to say anything to anyone. Many times she's seen guys pull up on bikes w/o helmets and she'll tell them.... "You should be wearing a helmet. What heppens if you fall off your motorcycle?"

While going out and having a kid just so she can speak pro gear is a bit drastic, you could always borrow the neightbor kid and do some coaching. [laugh]
Ha Ha! That is so cute & adorable!

G

·
No gear, no riding with us....period. I don't want to help with picking asphalt out of a "fellow rider's" body or body parts for that matter while waiting for a tow truck/ambulance.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Wearing a T-shirt and jeans on a beautiful day is a great feeling, If I could lose the helmet I would as well. I understand The danger and I accept what could happen. Bikes are dangerous. Guess how I feel about beautiful woman and wearing condoms ? sorry folks

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CRASH! said:
+1

Remember, there's a billion people out there who think _we're_ crazy for buzzing along a highway without a ton of steel wrapped around us...

big (I nearly always wear a jacket, but I can't remember the last time I wore leather pants on the street...)

·
Banned
33 Posts
My wife saw a guy in jeans and a t-shirt, giving his 9 year old a ride thru OKC. The 9 year-old was wearing an adult helmet, way too big because you could only see one of the boys eyes. Oh, and the kid was on the back. I sure wish I was there to make comments. Crazy. S...

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
ScottMilk said:
My wife saw a guy in jeans and a t-shirt, giving his 9 year old a ride thru OKC. The 9 year-old was wearing an adult helmet, way too big because you could only see one of the boys eyes. Oh, and the kid was on the back. I sure wish I was there to make comments. Crazy. S...
You should see how they ride in China! They have a baby in front while they steer! NO protective equipment at all! Not even sunglasses!

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i've done my fair share of riding without equipment. fortunately, all the crashing i've done has been with gear on.

that's not to say i haven't still occasionally gone out with a helmet, but no jacket. what can i say, i'm 22 and pretty goddamn stupid. :p

i've been trying to do my part to preach the gospel of gear to my fellows.

"hey, jackass! i myself enjoy having all my skin... why don't you throw something on before we head out?"

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
My good friend Gus is always out on his Hayabusa with something that resembles cowboy boots (soft version, very queer) and usually never has gloves on.. and all this with jeans. In the summer, when even friends who don't like leather are in full cordura gear, this guy is usually in jeans because of the heat whilst I'm in full leathers etc.

He is a really good friend and neighbour and I'd hate to see him get hurt but at 50 years of age, he just won't listen to anyone! It kinda sucks as he's not that agile on a bike either and I've seen him have a few "moments". I just hope he listens to me one of these days!

Yeah, it gets on my tits too - but what can you do, try and talk to people but most folk just get offended or think you're showing off with your leathers/trying to be a wise a$$.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Statler said:
Do you guys give people nuts who ride without gear?

+1. With the group I ride and associate with, if you don't at a minimum have helmet, gloves and jacket, we don't ride with you.

As for the the rest, well... the law in Illinois is non-existent so they can proceed as they see fit. Free country and all that shiznit. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.