Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the situation: I am rebuilding a 900ie, and I am thinking of powercoating the frame. My concerns are;

(1) any parts that I have to replace (rubber mounts, gaskets etc) if I were to do a complete strip down?

(2) is the original coating on the frame so good that I should not even attempt this?

(3) I assume that powdercoating the frame is better than painting it?

Thanks for input, fellas.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Powder coating is awsome, espicially is the guy knows what he is doing. All the rubber pieces must be removed berfore proceeding. and checked for cracks and wear easy inexpensive check and replacement. the origional coat can easily be changed there is only 1 coat of paint and is eeasily modified. once totally removed and placed aside the powder coating process is quick, easy, and depending on the color very nice and much better than paing and the finishes are beautiful and long long long lasting with care. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Powder coating will last longer than paint even in a high abrasion situation. Powder coating is a thermoplastic that is bonded to the surface with heat and is typically thicker than paint. With the electrostatic application process you get a way better finish match between horizontal and vertical surfaces. It doesn't run like paint unless the powder coating shop does a bad job. Plus its way more environmentally friendly than paint too. I have painted and powder coated bike frames before and the powder coat outlasted the paint by a long shot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Powder coating will last longer than paint even in a high abrasion situation. Powder coating is a thermoplastic that is bonded to the surface with heat and is typically thicker than paint. With the electrostatic application process you get a way better finish match between horizontal and vertical surfaces. It doesn't run like paint unless the powder coating shop does a bad job. Plus its way more environmentally friendly than paint too. I have painted and powder coated bike frames before and the powder coat outlasted the paint by a long shot.
Thanks for the views :)

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
i powdercoated my M900Sie frame
easy to take apart....took a little longer putting back together ;)

plan that you may find pieces that should be replaced and leave enough time to wait for these parts to come from ducati if needed.
you might want to put in some new steering head bearings while its apart...
easy to adjust the valves then too if you are due

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Where's that picture of you sitting on the back of Filmore's bike?
Ps: I like good quality paint better than powdercoating and whatever you do, clean up those toothpaste welds before you start.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you're doing it yourself I would plug any holes on the frame with something so you don't get the coating inside a hole that a bolt is meant to go through. It's a lot easier to do that before you coat it than to drill all that stuff out as you come to it because a bolt wont fit back in its hole.
If you're taking it to have a pro do it they should do that anyway and they have plastic plugs, and special tape and such specially for that purpose.
I would also sand blast the frame first
...just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
137 Posts
On second thought...I don't think you have to plug holes that fasteners run through, I think they would be alright...for sure plug anything with threads though, or you'll have to chase the threads...sorry I haven't powder coated anything since I was in highschool
Good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey all, great comments
2 questions
- How does powdercoating compare to paint in terms of cost?
- might be a stupid question but can a pc finish be glossy??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
from my point of view powder coating is alot cheaper, dont know about anyone else who has had it dont but from $500 to paint all my parts it cost me $350ish to powder coat Blood red with a silver pearl. and the look was outstanding. thats me others may have different results, but the people i took the parts too really knew their stuff and did both paint and powdercoat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts