Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you looked at my post on the Women's Gear thread here, you'll see that I like looking female on the bike. I have been shopping for months for a good girly-looking helmet and can't find anything that's just right. Where are the helmets that are pink or purple but don't have silly looking flowers or butterflies on them? Something like flames or skulls but ... pink. I have a pink and silver Z1R Stance helmet, but don't like it. I want a Shoei or an Arai (mainly because I'm familiar with them). I thought I'd check with the women here and see what comes up.

Price is not a factor - this is my head and (Loreal commercial) I'm worth it.

Found this one, Icon - how do they fit and shield from wind noise?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Icon_Mainframe_Helmet_Hooligan_Lavender--507570B.html

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Can't comment on the Icon helmet as I don't have any experience with that brand. i do like the lavendar color though! Have you thought of maybe picking up a solid color Arai or Shoei, then having a custom paint job to suit you? Then you could get a helmet you know you like exactly like you want. :D

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SheMonster said:
Have you thought of maybe picking up a solid color Arai or Shoei, then having a custom paint job to suit you? Then you could get a helmet you know you like exactly like you want. :D
I have thought of that, and might do it. Have the name of the guy who did this Louis Vuitton helmet. It's pretty expensive, though - can be $250-$500 for a custom job, on top of an expensive helmet. OK, I know I said price is no object, but...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I've been thinking about doing a Tootsie Pops helmet or one with Mickey Mouse parts on it (gloves, pants, shoes), but haven't made the plunge.

I have seen the ICON helmet, and I think Shark may have some feminine-ish ones, too. Don't know about the fit, you should probably try them on before you commit.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm curious, so many people custom paint helmets but I understand that paint, solvents, and even adhesive from stickers can weaken the polymers used in the helmet shell. I had considered getting a plain helmet and doing something to it but the Shoei info confirmed that it could damage it and they say not to do anything - and I think would probably kill any warranty. I ended up with an x-11 Kagayama which I think looks handsome so its good, but am I too cautious? I had wanted to maybe add something reflective, but not if the solvents in the adhesive can damage the helmet...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
GIR said:
I'm curious, so many people custom paint helmets but I understand that paint, solvents, and even adhesive from stickers can weaken the polymers used in the helmet shell. I had considered getting a plain helmet and doing something to it but the Shoei info confirmed that it could damage it and they say not to do anything - and I think would probably kill any warranty. I ended up with an x-11 Kagayama which I think looks handsome so its good, but am I too cautious? I had wanted to maybe add something reflective, but not if the solvents in the adhesive can damage the helmet...
IMHO, the manufacturer is trotting out the ultraconservative 'party line' to avoid product liability exposure.

There are quite a few folks that paint helmets for a living, I think Troy Lee is one, or started that way.

At one point in time, there were helmets that had a plastic shell, as opposed to the more common fiberglass/composite construction.
*Those* helmets were sensitive to solvents.

I don't see how any sticker will degrade a helmet shell.

Some solvents can be very hard on the inside liner and any plastic trim.

I think any skilled and responsible painter will avoid issues.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I dunno, I can only tell you what I heard about and then what was in my new helmet's booklet.   I can dig it up for the exact wording if it helps.   I don't think any painter would do anything intentional to harm the helmet (and I'm sure there are different types of paint and methods that can change things), but it sounds like there is a chance that chemicals can effect each other and you won't know its weaker until you need it.. Anyway, that's why I'm asking about it.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I've heard the no paint and no sticker thing before. I going to go with its caution on the part of the manufactuers. both my helmets and my husbands helmets have stickers on top of the clearcoat---these are the Snell and DOT stickers that came with the helmets. That says to me that stickers shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
uberwench,

I recently just purchased this helmet and i like it alot.  The helmets I own are arai's and suomy's and I must say this one feels pretty comfortable.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
449 Posts
aprilmaybe said:
I've heard the no paint and no sticker thing before. I going to go with its caution on the part of the manufactuers. both my helmets and my husbands helmets have stickers on top of the clearcoat---these are the Snell and DOT stickers that came with the helmets. That says to me that stickers shouldn't be a problem.
It does not seem that all stickers from every place and the adhesives they use are the same though..

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
What an excellent addition to the DML!
Ducati Women [thumbsup]

I've been away from the forum for a few weeks, and discover this section.

Now... about the girly helmets...
I was in the same dilema as you uberwench, that is until I picked up this Suomy Spec1R Flowers!
It's a great helmet. Very light, visible, and GiRLY! It is noisy, but I wear earplugs anyway so for me it's not a problem. Let us know what you get!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
THe Scorpion EXO-400. I now have one. They are Snell2000 and DOT approved. Vents up front and in back. Quick release shield. Only a few ounces heavier than a Shoei. Removable padded liner so it can be washed. Anti-fog shields (that really work). Breath deflector. Very quiet (quieter than a Shoei), but I always wear earplugs anyway. And the best part, its only a little over $100 (more if you get different shields and other little extras).
Here is a review over on Squidbusters. Scorpion Helmets. We now have a big population of people who own them
Blue is "sky" and pink is "blush".

·
0 Posts
My roommate has a icon mainframe helmet, it's flat black. The finish on it looks and feels pretty cool, but I've ridden with it a few times. I gotta say that it is noisy and the finish(build quality) of the helmet wasn't that great when compared to Shoei (what I have and love) and Arai. Something to keep ion mind when shopping, don't just look at the paint scheme, look at the quality and fit first [thumbsup]

and +1 to what speedogg said, you can always get it painted and I also think the manufacturer's warning is similar to sitting to close to the T.V. Not a great idea, but it's not *really* going to do anything.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I have a friend as an ex AMA Racer and now testrider and states that if you want excellent results from a crash...go with Arai and nothing else......

Good head  =  Arai                        Bad head  =  other                          ::)

;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Icon mainframe helmets -- kudos for the effort on girlifying the helmets to them, but they are REALLY windy and hard to fit. Mine loosened up in less than 3 months, now I just keep it at work for tooling around when they let us play out back on the atvs. Go with Shoei, Arai, or Sumoy -- at least, in my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Bad Dog said:
I have a friend as an ex AMA Racer and now testrider and states that if you want excellent results from a crash...go with Arai and nothing else......

Good head = Arai Bad head = other
While I agree with the sentiment, the fact is that not everyone has an arai shaped head. ::) Shoei tends to fit the people that can't wear Arai and is a suitable substitution. [thumbsup] HJC/Icon and other ~$100 lids show their cost cutting in the fit and finish, and IMNSHO, are a waste of money that could be put towards the (admittedly more expensive) Arai/Shoei.

Speeddog said:
IMHO, the manufacturer is trotting out the ultraconservative 'party line' to avoid product liability exposure.

There are quite a few folks that paint helmets for a living, I think Troy Lee is one, or started that way.
+1. If painting helmets was dangerous, there wouldn't be so many pros in all manor of motorsports with custom paintjobs.

·
Registered
449 Posts
When I was trying on helmets I found that Shoei and Arai each offered fits for various head shapes - turned out that I fit both the Arai Profile and the Shoei X-11 best.  I went with the Shoei as it is supposedly quieter w/o the Arai external shield ear muff thingies, plus, via Helmet Harbor, the Shoei prices were very reasonable.  Based on what others say re: crash results and such I do not thing the Shoei is any lower quality then the Arai, and they both are well made and have great materials, fit and finish.

As for the paint, I don't know the answer, maybe there are some paints and ahesives that don't use certain chemicals and are okay, or, since the weakening of the shell based on the effect of the chemicals happens over some time that might account for Pros doing it (since they go through helmets and replace them frequently).  I only know what the manufacturer states and would rather be on the side of the caution and the warranty vs finding out that the helmet shell had become weakened or brittle the hard way. I just was trying to help others by discussing the info, but to each his own of course.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have that flower one in black that other women have listed here. I thought after I got it that I could have also gotten a black one then done the girly stickers and maybe stickers that said "I like boys" which I thought could be funny.

Ok, on a different note, does anyone remember the really sexist ad campaign that Triumph ran last year? I'm looking for copies or screen shots of them so I can blog flame against it. That's one of the reasons I like the Ducatis so much is that they are so pro-women as a demographic.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts