Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to stop riding with my girlfriend because she just refuses to lean with me on tighter turns

"It feels like the bike is going to fall over"

I almost went wide into a gravel pit today.

maybe ill just ratchet strap her to my back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You have to tell her to trust you and the bike. If she keeps sitting up, she's gonna cause a pretty serious accident. You could cross the double yellow with traffic coming... :eek:

-Danimal

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
....or maybe you should slow down for a while until she gets used to riding???? Not trying to crack on you. My wife was the same way. She's fine now and leans with me readily. Sometimes you just have to wait for it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah. i slowed down. to the point where i didnt even have to countersteer.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
It'll happen for you man. Just wait for it. When it does happen, it will be sooooo worth it. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ehh i dont think thats the answer. perhaps i need to stop bitching about it, but im not going to stop putting her on the back of the bike. because.. lets face it.. when you stop and you feel tits on your back.. its worth almost going head first into an 18 wheeler.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
doe sshe hold onto you or the bike?
tell her to hold onto you. take it slow until she gets used to it.

explain very clearly how it works and what will happen when you do it.

then go slow at first.. she will start leaning with you before long.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
CliveS2R said:
ehh i dont think thats the answer. perhaps i need to stop bitching about it, but im not going to stop putting her on the back of the bike. because.. lets face it.. when you stop and you feel tits on your back.. its worth almost going head first into an 18 wheeler.
heh.. ok, ok.

i was only speaking pragmatically about safety for you both. but when you put it that way.... ;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nah i made her hold onto me. I tried explaining the physics of centrifugal force on a body in motion, but i dont really understand them myself so that didnt go over too well.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
CliveS2R said:
Stop riding period and just run towards her, stop, and feel her tits on your face. Both safer and better [laugh]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HAHA! i might just do that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tell her...if you're leaning to the right then just look over your right shoulder. Nothing more than that. Of course the same applies for the left. Of course.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
meddle said:
Tell her...if you're leaning to the right then just look over your right shoulder. Nothing more than that. Of course the same applies for the left. Of course.
+1

My fiancee "got it" after that. Now all I hear is "take that corner faster next time so we can lean more" :p ;D

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough has a great section on riding two up.
You should ask your girlfriend to read that section...

·
Registered
126 Posts
find a new one

·
Registered
799 Posts
It worked well for my and my g/f when I told her to try to focus more on the road ahead (in particular, looking over my inside shoulder).

·
Registered
322 Posts
this is why i don't 2-up on my bike. i hate that crap. find a girl with her own bike or a friend (girl) that can teach your girlfriend how to ride. you'll be much happier. unless you are the type of guy that has to have his girl on the back of the bike instead of on her own. i know a few like that.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I, like many women here, started off as a passenger. With time and some reading (Total Control by Lee Parks), I became quite good at it. I rode as passenger on my guys Sprint ST 995 and his best friends 749. His friend complemented him on my ability to be a good passenger, and he is a very aggressive rider. Here's some things I learned.

TRUST
she needs to be totally comfortable with your abilities

RYTHYM
the right moves, in the proper sequence, with precise timing

SIGNALS
you need to establish some touch signal to let her know your intentions.
a touch on her calf when you plan on really getting on it, will keep her on the back.
she can also signal you by touching you somewhere to let you know the pace is too fast/slow

MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO
she should try to be as unobtrusive as possible, by mimicking your movements.
You lean, she leans the same amount as you. You tuck, she tucks, etc.
The key being no sudden movements.

HOLDING ON
she should keep her arms around you so she can get her hands on your tank for stopping.
this will keep her weight off you, and she can do a quick flip of the wrist to hold on. her legs should do most of the work. She should dig her toes or heels into the sides of the passenger peg brackets to give her a solid connection to the bike. She can also use her thighs to squeeze the rider for stability. Being a passenger is a total workout.

ALERTNESS
the one eyed peek over your shoulder will keep her looking ahead, so she's ready when the unexpected happens. she should look to the inside of the turn.

DID I MENTION TRUST
if she doesn't trust your abilities, don't ride with her until she does...
if you don't trust her as a passenger, don't do it.
[thumbsup]

good luck :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts