Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gilles Tooling Rearsets on Ducati M1100

Got them installed today by GP Motorcycles in San Diego. Great guys and great rearsets! The fit and finish are superb and IMO they look fantastic on my M1100. The mechanic had never installed them before. It took him about 3 hours and he liked them too. He said he'd recommend them to others.

I have them set up so the pegs are about the same height as stock, but about an inch farther back. It feels just right for me. The distance between the peg and toe piece on the shift lever is a little closer. For me (size 9) it's fine, but someone with big feet might have an issue.

I'd say they are about 1.5 pounds lighter on each side, maybe more. At $300 less than Rizomas I think they are a great deal. Like you said, the drawback for some might be the lack of a passenger bar option. I never ride the Monster two-up anyway, so I don't care.

As an added bonus they are the only rearsets I've seen with the European TUV safety rating, so you know they're high quality.

CHEERS!

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63240&d=1266629259

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63241&d=1266629259

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great looking bike! Did the packaging show any designation that it only fits the 1100? I've looked at several stores that lists that it only fits the 1100, except for the store I listed in the original post. I would think that it would fit the 696 the same?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The store you listed is actually where mine came from. They arrived to my door in a USPS box, so I don't have any original packaging. The installation pictures show a M1100. It doesn't say anything about only fitting the M1100, but it doesn't say they WILL fit a M696.

I've also seen them listed as fitting the M696 and the M1100, as well as other brands of rearsets, so I would think they'll fit both.

However, on the Gilles Tooling website they only show an application for the 2009 M1100 (VCR-D03-) so I'd contact them to be on the safe side.

http://www.gillestooling.com/en/motorradtyp.php

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard back from both Gilles and shift-tech-carbon.com. The rearsets will not fit the 696. Gilles also stated that they are debating whether or not to build a set for the 696.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hmmmm, sorry.

I recently saw another post from a guy that put Sato Racing rearsets on his M696. They look petty good, though not as good as the Gilles :p and silver wouldn't be MY choice. I think they cost around the same as the Gilles Tooling too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I looked into these for the 696. This is the reply from shift tech. I told them I really wanted these but dont see a listing for the 696.

I know what you mean but I can only go by what Gilles has to say, might be that they only did the verifaction from the German TUV ( simular to DOT ) for the 1100 model.

I don't want to tell you that they fit and then they don't..............

Does anyone have a theory why they may only for the 1100 and not the 696? From what I gather every other set out there works for both?????

jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The theory I have is that because the 1100 has a single sided swingarm, gilles might have utilized the extra space on the brake side. Rearsets designed for the 696 should then fit all 1100's, but rearsets designed for the 1100 might not fit the 696. ..but this is just a guess

·
Registered
203 Posts
The theory I have is that because the 1100 has a single sided swingarm, gilles might have utilized the extra space on the brake side. Rearsets designed for the 696 should then fit all 1100's, but rearsets designed for the 1100 might not fit the 696. ..but this is just a guess
When you get yours, try to confirm this. It seems like a good theory. Try to imagine a DSS on your bike and see if you think it would fit.

My other option is to just order them, try them, and if they dont work, someone will buy them and save a few bucks off of my experiment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim, I have the 696 and ended up ordering the metaltech rearsets. BPA5150 might be able to provide feedback though

·
Registered
203 Posts
Jim, I have the 696 and ended up ordering the metaltech rearsets. BPA5150 might be able to provide feedback though
I thought you ordered the Gilles for 1100. Take some pics of the Metaltechs when you get those.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just theory, because I don't have an M696 to look at...

You might be right about the single-sided swingarm being the difference. The Gilles Tooling rearset is definitely an EXACT fit on the M1100.

The way the brake reservoir/line is setup it might not reach on the M696. I don't know if you can see it in my lousy pics. However, I doubt the fix would be as simple as a longer brake line.

Gilles Tooling stated they are CONSIDERING making the rearset for the M696. If it was as simple as a longer brake line I think they would just say that and market it for the M696.

Again, just theory. I know it doesn't help you guys, but they do fit and function flawlessly on the M1100. Great rearsets, especially at $300 less than Rizomas.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info BPA!

Apparently motowheels.com told me that the rear brake switch isn't included with the Metaltech rearsets, and their order for them are weeks out. They kindly offered me a refund and said they'd notify me when the switches came in stock. I am just not having any luck! :mad: Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the rizomas..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the info BPA!

Apparently motowheels.com told me that the rear brake switch isn't included with the Metaltech rearsets, and their order for them are weeks out. They kindly offered me a refund and said they'd notify me when the switches came in stock. I am just not having any luck! :mad: Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the rizomas..
Man, no luck! The Gilles also came with the rear brake switch.

DoWorkSon has the Corse rearsets on his M696. Do a search and you'll find pix of his bike. Another guy just put Sato Racing rearsets on his M696 and likes them. Those are both in the price range of the Gilles Tooling. I think the Corse are even less.

"Worst" case you get the Rizomas. Beautiful rearsets. The only thing wrong with those is the price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not that into the styling of the corse. The sato's look alright, but I'd would rather have the metaltech's for the money. I think I might just wait until motowheels has them in stock.

Do you hear that motowheels? I'm waiting on you! :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts