Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't have threaded rods lying around... i'm not as cool as you guys yet to have that kind of stuff in my garage :-[

oh its nothing special. im just going to check (and adjust, if necessary) my cam timing this winter once the rain picks up.

im also thinking of building a new toy that goes bang :)

fookin winter.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I made a fully adjustable piston stop myself out of an old spark plug. Here is how it is done. First the fun part. Smash the ceramic part of the plug. Then drill out the core of the plug with a standard size bit. Next tap the bore of the new hole and screw in the appropriate size bolt. You can now adjust the depth of the stop by turning the bolt in or out. This little tool works slick as snot and doesn't cost a thing if you have the proper ingredients in your shop. :)

·
Banned
412 Posts
AKmnstr said:
I made a fully adjustable piston stop myself out of an old spark plug. Here is how it is done. First the fun part. Smash the ceramic part of the plug. Then drill out the core of the plug with a standard size bit. Next tap the bore of the new hole and screw in the appropriate size bolt. You can now adjust the depth of the stop by turning the bolt in or out. This little tool works slick as snot and doesn't cost a thing if you have the proper ingredients in your shop. :)
Nice!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Ash said:
is there an automotive sparkplug that is long that i can use as a piston stop? i'd cut off the electrode obviously. i figure this has to be cheaper than buying an actual piston stop... maybe.
No, there's no spark plug long enough to do that.

AKmnstr's method is about the easiest/cheapest way to do it. High MacGyver point score. [thumbsup]

There are some sizes of metric allthread is available, but M14x1.25 isn't a common size (I'm pretty sure that's what your spark plugs are).

·
Registered
298 Posts
AKmnstr said:
This worked well for me. Just be sure to get a small rubber boot or something to protect the piston. You wouldn't want to ding up the pistons dialing in the cams. Don't ask how I know this one...

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
AKmnstr said:
That is one cool idea!!! If you aren't cranking the engine fast you won't damage the piston top --- just come up slow & easy. You could also round off the end of the bolt with a bench grinder too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts