Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Getting my bike fixed

656 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ericmonstro 
#1 ·
Well since I have a $250 deductable on the ol' Duc I decided to claim it on my insurance. IT sounds like they are going to be totally cool with getting all the various things fixed up which is nice.

Thing is, I have to take it to a shop for an estimate on the repair. So my question is this, where do I take it? I honestly planned to fix it all myself, BUT if they require me to get an estimate can I just have a shop DO that and not fix it? I honestly don't want new mirrors like the ones I have ya know?

So any advice would be appreciated. I was thinking about going to BH Ducati since it's the closest, but I know Oceanside has the better rep.

Do you guys thing I can take a bike to Oceanside and say "hey give me a repair estimate on this" and then I just go pick the bike up and get my check?

PAIN IN THE ASS

#2 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'd be ok with the shop fixing all the things that I'm getting repaired with stock factory parts, but for the other things I'm not sure I want to have them fixed.

But yeah I want to be totally 100% up front with the shop, I'm sure they would understand my desire to not replace the stock mirrors ya know?!

#3 ·
Didn't Tom go through this scenario after he binned his Foggy?

#4 ·
You want to call around and find out how much they charge for getting a crash estimate. Charges vary depending on the shops as I was quoted $50 - $120 about 3 years ago. Then they reimburse the charge when you hire them to fix your bike. Some shops ask you to leave the bike over night for the estimate and this is something you want to avoid. Often they charge over-night storage fees and you end up paying for them if you don

#5 ·
That's what happened to me. Took the bike in for an estimate and was going to have them fix it. After nearly two months of the Foggy sitting under a tarp outside the shop and the head mechanic getting beligerent every time I called I went ahead and picked it up with my neighbor's truck. Took the insurance money, paid off the bank, and fixed the bike myself.

Here's the fun part - of course I told everybody that did or did not want to hear it to steer clear of that particular shop. A buddy of mine wouldn't listen when he crashed his R6 on the track. Took the bike there and sure enough, same deal... the bike was sitting around for four weeks. I went to pick up his bike with him just to see the look on the mechanic's face when I'd show up there to pick up yet another bike (he didn't know Seth and I knew each other). He was not pleased :D (by the way, my buddy's battery mysteriously went missing during its four weeks in that shop).

That was Hammy Boys in Santa Monica and the mechanic was Peter, just in case you were interested :) A shame really if you consider how cool their parts guys Theo and Ferris are.

Anyway, enough of that. My concrete advice (pretty much along with what everybody else said): you have to get an estimate from a shop, you can't just tell the insurance damage was so and so much. Take the bike in and tell them all you want is an estimate. Then the ins company will send an adjuster to verify the damage. Then you pay the shop for the estimate (probably around $60 - $100) and pick up the bike. Easy.

-R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.