Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys still narrowing down the monster vs the sv650. i really want the monster but i keep hearing from everyone that the bike cant get to far from a shop. I LOVE the monster but i live in maryland i want to go on a bike tour from her to florida to new orleans to san diego and back. how would the ducati perfomr on that? The ducati is recommended to have basic tune up every 600. i see friends jap bikes that perform like a digital watch after a year of heavy riding with only oil chagnes basically and sometimes not that. am i going to be able to make a trip like this? am i going to have to work garage check ups into the trip? am i going to be stuck in the desert on mile 650?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Ducati's dont respond as well to neglect, but with care they are reliable.
The service interval is every 6000, not 600 (the 600 service is just the first one after break-in)

Here's some good info on touring with a Monster
www.tigerracing.net

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Woah! Captain misinformation rides again...

Ducs do NOT require maintenance every 600 mi. There is a first check is at 600. The subsequent service interval is 6000 mi, except for oil changes which are completely independent of make (generally accepted to be 3000 mi with synthetic oil).

I'll concede that Ducati's are not "sealed for life" units and I'll concede that some Japanese models approach that ideal. But even they have problems sometimes. I've read extensively about design issues with Gold Wings (only remotely related to motorcycles, I realize).

Still, I would not hesitate to take my Monster anywhere. Just wish my life allowed for that. Others on this board have many more miles under their wheels than I, but in my experience (also shared with 21 years of Italian car ownership including big mile XC tours) is that there's never been a problem that laid me up. I've always been able to schedule work on my Ducati, Fiat and Alfa Romeos. None have ever left me stranded anywhere (though I have had to be creative on a couple of occasions).

If you want the Monster, get it. You'll learn about it. you'll develop confidence in your ability to maintain it and in your ability to depend on it. Sort of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. If you don't want a "relationship" with your bike, maybe you should get the SV. It's a fine machine. It simply doesn't "speak" to most of us on this board.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you both. 6000 vs 600 makes a slight difference:) yeah that will suit me well. totally acceptable and you are right after a while of riding it i wil have as much info as i need to judge its performance

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a 2000 SV650 new, put 24,000 miles on it, and traded it in on a new '03 Monster 800. The Suzuki was a good bike with a great motor and crappy budget suspension. When you look at the better suspension and components on the Monster for a little more money it's well worth the price difference. The SV was also kind of soul-less, I liked it as I would like a nice stove or refrigerator, it works fine but no emotional connection. You can't help but grin like an idiot on the Monster!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah you are 100% right about that. ive been working out each bike with the mods i want and all. and the sv has never one. the SV with every mod i want is just some metal. to tell the truth i was going to get the monster even if it was a tune up every 600mi i jut couldnt have done my tour. i just need to quit drinking so i can pay for it

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can't remember where i read it, but last year or two years ago, a lady did a 4points run on an m750. what's a 4points run? maine -> florida -> arizona -> washington state -> maine.

this was in about a two week timeframe if i recall and she had one funny brake incident i think (needed bleeding and a new banjo bolt). not far from the dealer? i wouldn't sweat it.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do short trips on my monster all the time most being 500 to 700 mile round trips ..So far I have not had any troulble with the bike...Just stay on top of things and you should be fine...VTM

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm planning a 3,500 mile trip this summer between San Francisco and Cabo San Lucas at the tip of Baja, and then back again. As long as you plan your service intervals correctly and pay attention to the bike I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I'm going to do different on this trip is bring an extra front and rear tire, extra clutch and brake fluid, and extra oil. Normally I wouldn't worry about the spare parts, but I will be over 1000 miles from a dealer for decent periods. I don't think having a Japanese bike would make the trip any easier.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Uh, Jordan....

where you gonna keep the spare tires? It's not like kevlar beaded bicycle tires where you roll 'em up and stuff 'em in yer back pocket. If you're having a sag wagon follow you, well that's kinda violating the spirit of this thread. After all, your sag vehicle could tow a friggin' trailer and you could tour on '20s vintage bike ;)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Good point Don. Right now the plan is for a caravan of 2-3 bikes and 2 cars. If I was riding in the States I wouldn't even worry about a follow car. But considering the terrain and length of Baja, I think it would be crazy not to have a follow car. Basically we will have a 2500+ mile round trip south of the border.

I don't think having a follow car violates the spirit of the conversation in this case. We're going to a place where there is hundreds of miles between towns, gas stations with no gas, and no Duc mechanics for a thousand miles. Riding in the States where you can schedule services along your route is an entirely different story, not matter what bike you have.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Yeah, I'll give you that. Your trip is more of an adventure tour (sure you don't want a GS for it?).

You made the point that you're not particularly worried about breakdowns; just maintenance and punctures. Neither item is Ducati specific.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
SGris,
I have an '03 620. It's approaching 8000 miles (no long trips, tho'). No time in the shop except for the initial (600 mile) service and the 6000 mile service. Well, there was a leaky fork seal but that was no biggie! Get the Monster, ride it, take care of it and enjoy it!!! I don't think you'll regret it.

Eddie

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've ridden over 12,000 miles so far on my Duc virtually problem free. I'm not forseeing any problems on this trip either, but you never know...

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
The SV was also kind of soul-less, I liked it as I would like a nice stove or refrigerator, it works fine but no emotional connection.
That's funny..
I have no emotional connection with my stove...but I do with my barbeque!
I've even modded it!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i thank you all the candidness of the comments have helped support my descion. A monster it shall be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts