Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my rear swingarm. The part is being ordered today. While im at it the bike, 99’ m900, is reading 27K and i thought it might be a good time to replace chain and sprockets. Please forgive the basic nature of this question but I’m new at pulling my own maintenance on motorcycles. Best case scenario are chains and sprockets replaced as match sets like replacing mtb drive trains so that they mate up well, or should a new chain be sufficient? I hope ive placed this post correctly in the forum and thanks for any help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Replace the whole lot as a set, otherwise, all that will happen is that your new chain will wear more quickly.
Stock gearing is 15/39 - which is somewhat over-geared. I went 15/42 on my last 900 Monster and it was a vast improvement.

How many miles on the Chain and Sprockets? They can't be the originals at 27K, more likely at least the second set. Depending on how you ride and how you care for your chain 12-18K per set has been my experience. Roughly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like your bike - particularly the dry clutch - thats cool. Also those pipes are cool. In answer to your question I endorse the "replace the set" approach. I will go count the teeth on mine - they are brand new by the looks but interesting comment above re shortening the gearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts