Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have an S4RS with 5k miles. Used to have the usual heavy clunk when shifting into 1st from neutral, now its just a light click, then after about 30 feet, I get the big clunk without touching the clutch.. same with 2nd and third.. Any ideas?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Not even ONE ! Seems like it would have to be the clutch. I’d take the clutch apart and examine it . Check your countershaft sprocket while you’re down there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wonder if your friction plates have worn so thin that they are just slipping until they finally have enough speed to sling the oil and make contact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not even ONE ! Seems like it would have to be the clutch. I’d take the clutch apart and examine it . Check your countershaft sprocket while you’re down there.
i BELIEVE ITS A DRY CLUTCH?

·
Registered
105 Posts
A little bit of overlooked info there, I went to new posts and thought this was in 696 and didn't read too carefully. Lmao

·
Registered
212 Posts
Other possibility is;
1. out of adjustment gear selector or damaged return spring. I'd expect a stuck in gear situation if the spring was actually broken.
gear actuator not engaging all the way until some revs, then it clunks into gear fully. I have seen the securing bolts for the adjustment come loose.

2. sometimes, if you have dropped the bike, when parked maybe? the shifter pedal maybe stuck or slightly bent. Make sure it's free and has full movement.
Sadly, you need to remove alternator cover to even check the springs and selector, drain oil and coolant etc. A pain for sure.

Probably better to check clutch first as others suggested, as it's an easier job.
Hope this helps,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts