Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just jumped in on the group chain/sprocket buy. I currently have the stock 15t on the front, and the rear is a 40T (came that way when i bought the bike) I picked the 14T front and 41T rear. I don't care at all about top speed, but want more snap and low speed low rpm ridability. Ok, i want 2nd gear wheelies too :) Was the 14/41 a good choice?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Only you can decide if it's the right gearing for you, but it's definatly going to add some snap!! Hold on tight when you wack it open!!

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only you can decide if it's the right gearing for you, but it's definatly going to add some snap!! Hold on tight when you wack it open!!
[Mr.Burns] Eegggcellent[/Mr.Burns]

Kevin

G

·
What size monster do you have with a 40T rear? I have been trying to figure out what size rear sprocket I have. Is the number teeth stamped on the rear sprocket some where? I couldn't find it if it is. All this talk about sprockets has got me thinking. And that's never a good thing. :p

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Monsterlover: If you have a 900, I think your bike originally came with 15 / 38 gearing.

So, your 14 / 41 is about 16% higher than stock, which is definitewly moving in the right direction.

My computer simulator says the hot ticket for best acceleration on the 900 while retaining REASONABLE rpm at 60 (4500 rpm at 60 mph), is 14 / 45 (if you can get a 45 tooth rear sprocket for that model).

If there is no 45T available, I think there are 46 to 48 tooth sprockets available for use on the 620.

Getting something close to 14 / 45 will knock about 0.4 seconds off your 0 to 60 time, and retian that differential all the way through the 1/4 mile.

However, since the 900 is a "torquer" to begin with, the improvement in horspeower available at 60mph in top gear is "only" a bit under 10%. The improvement is a lot higher for the 620, 750, 800, and S4 models.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Monsterlover: If you have a 900, I think your bike originally came with 15 / 38 gearing.

So, your 14 / 41 is about 16% higher than stock, which is definitewly moving in the right direction.

My computer simulator says the hot ticket for best acceleration on the 900 while retaining REASONABLE rpm at 60 (4500 rpm at 60 mph), is 14 / 45 (if you can get a 45 tooth rear sprocket for that model).

If there is no 45T available, I think there are 46 to 48 tooth sprockets available for use on the 620.

Getting something close to 14 / 45 will knock about 0.4 seconds off your 0 to 60 time, and retian that differential all the way through the 1/4 mile.

However, since the 900 is a "torquer" to begin with, the improvement in horspeower available at 60mph in top gear is "only" a bit under 10%. The improvement is a lot higher for the 620, 750, 800, and S4 models.

Jim G
So you think i should run a 45 tooth rear? Thats 7 teeth bigger! As is it runs somewhere between 4K and 4.5K in the 70mph range in 6th gear. I can handle 4500rpm in the 60-65 range. I don't usually do much more than that. Im going to try the 14/41 combo and see how that does it for me. Sounds like Im about to have a real animal on my hands :)

Kevin

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Kevin: Just to reassure you: On my brand new S4 that I bought just in early February, I had my dealer deliver it with altered gearing.

Stock was 15 / 37.

I had him change it to 14 / 42 (a 22% increase in ratio!)

I love the results.

Jim G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts