Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Joe Rocket textile suit - went down few years back at the track, about 40mph low side, pants wore thru and jacket got beat up pretty good. Would not recommend this type of gear for any riding.

Teknic 1-piece Violator leather suit - been down 2 or 3 times at the track, held up very well, I am still using it, would recommend [thumbsup]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here's mine gear after a low side at around 50+mph...

Arai Helmet

Alpine Star Gloves

Joe Rocket UFO Mesh Jacket

Sidi Boots

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I like the AlpineStar gloves and those Sidi boots and they've proven their functionality!! I am going to check them out this weekend.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
eobo said:
The Sidi Vertigo boots - can't say enough about SIDI's. I have 3 pairs, they all look new despite years of abuse and crashes.

+1, my vertigos survived, barely got scuffed in my crash in october.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here is my gear after a highside at about 50mph before Thanksgiving. It is a Rev'It Airflow jacket, some A* shorty gloves and a cheap Fulmer helmet. The gloves are the sames ones few others on here have posted about and similar to theirs, mine didn't fair well. I sort of did an elbow-shoulder to head to the other shoulder and elbow cart-wheel down the road until I returned to me feet and ran off the road to avoid on coming traffic. Thats how I got that scrape on the helmet. Your head doesn't work well as a pivot point.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
some pics of a recent lowside on my other bike

dynamic jacket

grind marks on helmet and busted faceshield hinge

joe rocket ballistic pants over jeans

old timberland boots scuffed up and sole separated

and replacements. still shopping for a leather jacket and I will keep the jacket and pants for now.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I totally forgot to post up about my lowside at the track last year and how the gear did.

I lowsided at probably around 50 mph in 1 (right hairpin) at VIR North. My body hooked pretty much as soon as I hit the pavement, so that started me in a nice log roll tumble. I had the presence of mind to let go of the bike immediately. I lost the rear on the gas.

My only injury was some light bruising to my middle and ring knuckles on my right hand. My right knee was a little sore from the impact under the bike.

As far as the gear, my lid never touched, so there is no review for that. I was borrowing a two piece A* suit from a buddy, so I don't know the model. The only damage to the suit other than some light scuffing was that the stitching on the left forearm logo came undone. There was zero structural damage. The gloves were amazing. I was wearing Joe Rocket Speedmaster 5.0's. There is no damage to them other than a decent amount of scuffing on the knuckles of the right hand and the rubber on the gauntlet. There is zero structural damage and they have plenty of life left.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I recently had the unhappy experience of hitting a hillside at 55mph at a 45% angle .....Yes it hurts alot !... I had an Arai RX-7 Helmet on which other than some mud showed not even a scuff mark ,therefore my head remained intact. I had on a BMW back protector under an armored Ducati Corse Leather Jacket and Held Phantom Gloves. Except for some mud that was in the ditch that I eventually ended up in, no damage to any of those items. I was wearing a pair of Dainese Mekong leather armored pants and A* Stars SMX Plus Racing boots , all of which sustained only some mud. All safety gear seemed to work well but I still ended up w/ 4 lower righr side broken ribs, disslocated shoulder, badly twisted right lower leg/ankle and lots of soft tissuue damage to my right torso. S4Rs sustained only minor injuries w/a bent clutch lever, bent horn , and the mirrors needed to be straightened. Lots of mud and grass but so far the bike is cleaning up well. Damn 4 legged creatures ! I 3 weeks since the accident and still have to sleep in a recliner...hurts too much still to try to sleep in a bed. I think it was landing on my right knee as I was summer saulting that broke my ribs. Trust me on this one....you don't want broken ribs. Oh by the way...I didn't have a mark on me....anywhere.

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
DoubleEagle said:
I recently had the unhappy experience of hitting a hillside at 55mph at a 45% angle .....Yes it hurts alot !...
Sorry to hear about your accident, sounds painful.

Have you thought about posting in the Crash Analysis thread? It's useful for both you and others to learn about things to avoid for the future.

Heal up quickly!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
No pics this time, but I either highsided or otherwise managed to get my bike upside down during a trackday 4 weeks ago, putting more gear to the test.

Got 3 pins in my left pinky (and that hand is in a cast), so typing is tough.

Went wide on turn, ran out of track, went into the muddy run off while leaned over. Rear end came around and I was launched (I figure 60-80mph). Landed right the top of my head and sent the shock straight down the spine. Compression fractures on 3 vertebrae, no nerve damage (thankfully). My left pinky got caught somewhere and got smashed between the 2nd & 3rd metatarsals.

Here's the gear and how it faired:

Shoei RF-1000: [thumbsup] Fantastic. No brain damage on a much harder impact than last time (see page 1 or 2 of this thread). The impact was so great that blood shot out of my nose and onto the visor, my left eye got bloody (red instead of white), and my face got bruised. The visor was partly detached when all was said and done.

Dainese Zen Jacket and pants: [thumbsup] Fantastic. No damage or pain at all on my knees (both previously operated on) or shoulders (previously damaged on another wreck). If the paramedics hadn't cut it open, the jacket would still be 100%. The pants still are.

Oxtar TCS replica boots: [thumbsup] Fantastic. No damage at all to my feet or the boots.

Alpinestars SP3 glove: Good. Had my finger not been caught somewhere, my hands would be fine. Not sure any gloves could have saved me there.

Bohn Carbon/Kevlar back protector. Good. did its job, the damage to my spine could not be avoided by a back protector.

Hope this helps some people spend some cash on good gear that fits just right. I did this time and it kept me alive and walking.

be safe,

André

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
AndreRA3 said:
Alpinestars SP3 glove: Good. Had my finger not been caught somewhere, my hands would be fine. Not sure any gloves could have saved me there.
Did this glove have the pinky attached to the ring finger? That may or may not have helped....

121 - 140 of 162 Posts