Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking out and buying new gear; helmet to boots for me and my wife.
Anyone have pics of gear that survived and/or failed in a wreck and personal reports on gear performance in the real world?

I hate asking this but your misfortune can teach us all something and make us think over our gear.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
/Official DML Crash Tester

Vanson gear has survived over and over and over again.  With some patching afterward on two different occasions -- both lowsides on the track at significant speed.  I've crashed both my 1 piece and my two piece.  At speeds from 15mph to probably 70mph.  The speed hump on my suit was handy when I got run over by a Buell.  <shakes fist> Damn Buells.  :mad:

Sidi Vertigo boots have survived over and over again.  They're starting to fall apart, but not from the crashing.  Gonna get some Daytonas and crash those for a while.

Alpinestars WEB boots.  Survived two (or maybe just one?) crashes with no damage whatsoever.

Held Galaxy Gloves have survived multiple crashes.  Needed slight patching in the wrist area each time (weird, because that's where they go over the jacket, so it's not really important to be covered).  Once they broke a stitch on finger and I think may have worn some leather off the edge during a slow speed low-side.  I haven't crashed my Held Kryptons yet (they're my new track/racing gloves)

Alpinestars SP-2 gloves survived multiple crashes with no damage whatsoever.

Shoei helmets.   [thumbsup]

Aerostich Darien pants -- started to wear through the seat in a crash at about 30 mph or so (asphalt slide).  Had jeans on underneath  Replaced the seat area where damaged.  Not sure I'd want to come off at 70 mph wearing any textile.

Haven't crashed my Darien jacket yet, but gimme a week or two and I'll prolly take care of that for ya.   ::) 

If I get a free moment, I'll see if I can snap some pics of my gear.

//Official Crash Tester

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Here's a pic of my Shoei X-11 that only left me with a mild headache the next day. Good helmet!

Other gear that's fared well:
Held gloves - still wearing 'em after the helmet crash
Ducati Corse jacket - ditto, even with the "character"
Sidi Vertigo Corse boots - ditto, although have lost a couple of screws and the vent slider (non-crash)
Aerostitch Darien Light jacket - ~20mph lowside resulted in small hole in the arm; repaired by Aerostitch

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I've crashed (lowsided at +- 60mph, I think) with a HJC Cl-14, and ended up with a brain hemorrage. I don't remember the accident, so I can't be sure how the helmet faired (given the unknown circumstances). It appears that I went down very hard on my left side (head first, apparently), tumbled around a little bit, and slid a good ways on my face and belly. I'm glad I had a full face helmet on, but the HJC only barely saved me. Anyhow, I wear a Shark RSI now.

In the same accident, my Alpinestars Spinner leather jacket opened up, as the zipper dragged on the asphalt. I now wear a Dainese Zen leather jacket that "hides" the zipper in the button-up collar. I'm going to get a similar provision put on the Alpinestars when I get it repaired. Trust me, make sure that whatever jacket you wear has a safety catch of some kind to prevent the zipper from opening if you slide face down on the road. I lost a lot of skin (and some other tissue) because of this. After seeing the kind of damage my alpinestars jacket took, I will never wear textile or mesh again. Also, make sure you have CE armor on elbows, shoulders and back. I had and didn't break anything, although my left elbow was so swollen the paramedics (and ER doctors before seeing the x-rays) were sure that I had badly broken my arm.

My nameless, leather touring boots passed the test, but just barely. The left foot (the side I went down on), had worn a hole just above my toes. No damage to my foot, but this was a close call. I now wear Oxtar Replica boots.

I also had some Acerbis summer gloves on. These held up surprisingly well, but although the gloves are intact, I still managed to get road rash in my knucles (kinda defied the laws of physics on that one). I now wear N2 Kangaroo leather gloves ( https://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail.asp?Prod_ID=110 ) .

Oh, and my jeans were completely useless. Not only did I lose skin (and whatnot), I nearly broke my patela. I now wear Icon knee guards under my jeans when commuting, and I'm seriously considering leather pants that zip up to my jacket for trips and other rides (I lost some skin on my lower back as well, and a jacket-pants combo would probably have prevented that).

Anyway, that's the best I can do for now. Sorry about the long reply, but I hope this helps.

Oh, and DEFINATELY get frame sliders for your bike. I had some and it kept my bike from being totaled.

And (almost over, I promisse) remember that expensive gear may cost more now, but hospital bills don't come cheap (and neither does a helicopter ride to the ER). A thousand on gear is nothing compared to 30,000 in medical bills.

Take care,

André

·
Registered
6 Posts
Teknic 1 piece and a 45mph high side. Arai Haga replica saved my life. I tossed the helmut but would wear the one piece again no prob.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Damn Andre - that is a tough way to find out about quality gear. I'm glad you survived it!

I hadn't heard/thought about a jacket zip coming down, and I guess I understand now why Dainese jackets have that leather tab over the zipper.

I *have* seen a crash where the textile pants weren't zipped to the jacket and ended up around the rider's knees. Another crash in textile pants where the pants pretty much shredded down to the skin. Fortunately by that point the rider had almost stopped sliding.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andre-
Great reply. Glad to hear you are around to share your story. Great tid-bits of info for us all to consider when riding and buying gear. I realy hope this thread growes into a useful source of info for gear specifics. Thanks to all of you that posted, good stuff...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Anybody had first/second-hand experience with some of BMW's current textile stuff, namely the InoTex2 denim-look stuff? It's a denim-look outlayer, with a kevlar underlayer, and mesh underneath that. CE protectors for the knees (height-adjustable), and slots for hip CE pads. Makes the Joe Rocket "motorcycle" jeans look like tissue paper.

I had the chance to inspect a pair of the pants at Gina's BMW down in Iowa City, IA, and I gotta say they look pretty gnarly. Gina (the owner) wears a complete InoTex suit (denim-look jacket and matched pants - they zip together, too), and loves it. Stays cool even in the heat, and it gives her at least a *sense* of being protected (she flat out said she loved the suit and feels reasonably safe in it). I didn't ask if she'd ever seen Inotex stuff after a crash, though (didn't think about it at the time - I was still thinking about the R1100S I had just test ridden).

BTW, it's good to hear that a Ducati Corse leather jacket holds up well. If I buy a Monster, I'll be getting a Ducati leather jacket (just not sure which exact model).

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I've crashed (lowsided at +- 60mph, I think) with a HJC Cl-14, and ended up with a brain hemorrage.
Thanks for that. My wife can kiss my ass, im gonna spend the $350 for the Shoei Monza Red RF-1000 i tried on the other day. I havnt even wrecked yet and my 1 year old HJC CL-14 looks like its been through hell and back. Note the tape where a vent cover used to be.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I did a superman into the front grill of a Toyota 4-Runner @ 20mph & 45° approach angle when some dumbass turned left in front of me.

AGV textile jacket held up with some minor rips, but IMo it seemed a bit weak. Good armor though - it really saved my ass.

HJC CL-14 survived intact, although I threw it away afterwards. No head injury except for a severe headache a few days later.

A* SMX-5 (?) gloves hand no damage, but they never really made contact with anything.

My casual blue-jeans were shredded. Luckily nothing broken. Lots of stiches.

My casual low top shoes were okay, but having your ankle sandwiched between a truck and a 400lb bike really hurts. Nothing broken. I still have a slight limp at times.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My teknic venom leathers literally saved my butt after a nice long pavement skid. They're still quite usable. Ditto my Vanson jacket, though I will be having armor installed. My bmw touring boots with Kevlar held up great too. Amazingly, my Joe Rocket Trixie gloves held up well, leopard print and all.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Nitewaif said:
My teknic venom leathers literally saved my butt after a nice long pavement skid.  They're still quite usable.  Ditto my Vanson jacket, though I will be having armor installed.  My bmw touring boots with Kevlar held up great too.  Amazingly, my Joe Rocket Trixie gloves held up well, leopard print and all.
Hey Nitewaif--Whats up? Haven't seen you on the board lately. How's Oregon? Any regrets about moving from NM? I

·
Registered
349 Posts
On Saturday night, the following gear saved my a$$.

HLC CL-14 helmet

HJC Retro leather jacket

Power Trip Grand National gloves

I would buy any of these again in a heartbeat (plan to get the HJC carbon helmet - jacket just needs some polish, gloves to be replaced with same brand/model)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Highsided on the dragon on Friday.... everything worked well except for my Alpinestars SP-2 goves....

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

1 - 20 of 162 Posts