Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my Cagiva/Ducati Elefant 900e 1998 model with 45000km on the clock (Monster 900 carb engine) makes strange noises when I put it in neutral and pushes it forward. It's like a cluck, cluck noise - is this normal?. When the engine is hot the sound is more clear. I have remove the clutchplates and put it in gear,when I spins the rear wheel I am still getting the sound, then remove the chain and turn the sprocked by hand and still getting the same sound. I can't hear the sound when I'm riding and nothings feels strange. There is however a small bit of in/out movement on my sprocket shaft - is this normal? My clutch basket also have some movement on it when I wiggle it by hand with the plates removed, but the nut is tight.

Then another sound, but from the engine, when my engine is cold there's no strange noises, but as soons as it started to heat up and I rev it up to 3000rpm and close the throttle there's this ting/ting sound as the revs goes down to idle. When the engine is heated up the noise disappears. It almost sounds like tappeds not adjusted correctly, I've already checked the alternator and clutch nut and checked the valve clearances, everything seems to be in order. During my recent oil change there was no metalstuff on the drainingplug.

What can the sounds be and is it still ok to ride?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
My 620 does that too when in neutral and try to push it but i hit the gear change pedal a little up or down and the noise goes away. It has to do with engaging/disengaging issues.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
As far as the ting ting noise is concerned, i believe that it's the heat dissipation noise off the brushes. It's there all the time, you simply can't hear it because of the revs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sound from the engine sounds like a bearing not getting enough oil after startup, it starts making the noise after 1 minute or so and the dissapears when the engine/oil is heated up. Then it's running like normal with no strange sounds, it's bothering me because it was not the before.

I have experienced the same problem with the noise in my gearbox when not selecting true neutral, but this is not the same sound. I was wondering if it can maybe be the alignment of the shift arm inside the alternator housing, because, out of stupidity the last time i went in there i adjusted the small screw(the one with the locknut on it) a bit tighter. I am not sure what this thing do to the selector arm, but i think it started to make that noise after i have done that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts