Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and girls did anybody installed a gear indicator on the monster (m1100) in my case? Just wondering as i bought the gipro set (http://www.healtech-electronics.com ) but not sure if someone can give me some tips on the install of this..

Regards,
Raim

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did you install it yet? Waiting for the same feedback

Jim

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine is on the way. I will probably do it next weekend. Update if you do yours before and I will do the same.

Jim

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am 90% done with the install of the GIPRO gear indicator. Here are the details and the reason it is not done yet.

First, the instructions are very good on this product. Straight forward for someone with average mechanical skills.

The harness has 2 components that need to be hooked up. One goes into the speed sensor, which is located behind the brake side rearset on the 696. To remove the rearset, you need a 24mm socket and a 8mm allen socket. after removal, you will see two connectors. The three wire one is the speed sensor. You just plug in the ends of the cable. Very easy. Hide cables and tie them together.

Route the cable up from the rearset to the right side of the frame near the middle. This is where the rpm signal connector is. It is mounted to the backside of the frame. The connector has a rubber boot on it and it has a spring loaded release clip. You will break the bracket holding it to the frame. Expose the wires by pushing away the boot and you run the wire supplied in the install kit and crimp it to the white rpm wire with supplied crimp.

Next you run the rest of the harness up the right side and zip tie it to the other wires running in this manner. Pay attention to the throttle body and make sure you dont interfere with the action of the throttle.

I placed the display on the right side of the dash. Looks great ( pics later, I am at work now). You now connect the display unit to the wire you ran along the frame. It is a 4 pin connector.

When running through the gears, as is needed to make the unit " learn" the check engine light came on. I emailed Healtech at 11pm local time. They answered within 5 minutes. The issue is a known one on certain monsters. The fix is to splice in a resistor into the rpm sensor wire. I have yet to do this, hence the 90% complete.

I have to say that the customer service I have received is by far the best of any company I have dealt with. I spoke with a guy name Norbert and he is extremely helpful.

More to come......

jim

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool I bought a new monster 1100 (with ABS) getting it 2nd of April .. so its not fitted on my bike yet..it will be done by the dealer but thanks for the tips, I'll pass them on to the dealer for fitting instructions :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gear Indicator + GIPRO

Installed a GIPRO on my 2009 M1100. Instructions are good. Take your time about routing the cables. For power I used 'KEY/ON' at the fusebox which is mounted on the 'right' side next to the rpm signal connector (so power is switched with key - sounds obvious thing to do but I've seen all sorts of things.....).
I experienced exactly the same problem as H2O re the check light. The rpm signal ('crank+') feeds into the ECU. When the GIPRO is spliced in then it draws too much current (apparently), signal feed into the ECU is degraded sufficiently for the ECU to think something is wrong and drops into fail safe/get me home mode and turns on the engine check light. The resistor will limit this take off and hopefully all will be well - I'm waiting for the resistor and will let you know. Plus I might post up some close ups of the wire routing.

I am 90% done with the install of the GIPRO gear indicator. Here are the details and the reason it is not done yet.
When running through the gears, as is needed to make the unit " learn" the check engine light came on. I emailed Healtech at 11pm local time. They answered within 5 minutes. The issue is a known one on certain monsters. The fix is to splice in a resistor into the rpm sensor wire. I have yet to do this, hence the 90% complete.

I have to say that the customer service I have received is by far the best of any company I have dealt with. I spoke with a guy name Norbert and he is extremely helpful.

More to come......

jim

Regards
Andrew

PS I echo H2O's comments re service.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you know what kind of resistor it is (specs) so i can order it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Funnily enough I got the resistor(s) in the post this morning. One's a 15k the other 6.8k. I've sent off a post to Norbert asking which one do I use, or is a question of me doing a little bit of experimentation!!!!
No reply yet but I'll let you know.
It's been a while since I've done any circuit design;-) but the resistors look like standard pcb resistors 1/4 W or something similar and I forgotten how to read off the tolerance from the colour bands (but I might look it up!).
Regards
Andrew

do you know what kind of resistor it is (specs) so i can order it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
GIPRO people,
Just got a mail back from Norbert at Heal Tech saying try the 6.8k resistor first and if that doesn't work use the 15k. Recommends soldering and covering with heat shrink tube (which was enclosed).
I'll give that a try in the next couple of days and let you know.
(plus I think I'll ask Norbert for a partial refund for doing some of his testing for him;-).
Regards
Andrew

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just finished mine. I used a 10K resistor, as that was all radioshack had. worked like a charm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Now working fine

As I said previously HealTech sent a 6.8K and a 15K resistor. First I tried the 6.8K and it failed; the diag light came on but at a higher rpm (6K) then I had experienced with no resistor,
The 15K resistor works just fine - we'll see what happens over time.
(In fact the biggest help by far was being able to get the bike up on a lift - seriously! Without being able to get under the swingarm from a normal position I just would not have bothered, getting too old. But the old adage of the right tool for the job is so right).

Regards
Andrew
If you want to see some photos let me know and I'll email since the file size limit is just too restrictive.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want to see some photos let me know and I'll email since the file size limit is just too restrictive.
Please send me the pics i am really interested how you did this ..my mail is

vrslider at (nospam) gmail dot com

thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here is a photo of the indicator installed. The wires are buried so no photo of the resistor. I installed it to the green/black wire that is supplied with the kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I accept with information: When the GIPRO is spliced in then it draws too much current (apparently), signal feed into the ECU is degraded sufficiently for the ECU to think something is wrong and drops into fail safe/get mode and turns on the engine check light. The resistor will limit this take off and hopefully all will be well

·
Registered
203 Posts
I accept with information: When the GIPRO is spliced in then it draws too much current (apparently), signal feed into the ECU is degraded sufficiently for the ECU to think something is wrong and drops into fail safe/get mode and turns on the engine check light. The resistor will limit this take off and hopefully all will be well
Yes you are correct.

I have the 10K resistor and now issues with it. I spoke with Norbert and he told me to redline the motor to be sure....so I did. No light, no issues. If you have the 6.8K, dont use it. Use the 15k or better yet get a 10k. My guess is that the amount of signal getting past the 6.8 is still to high, but the 10K is just right....

Jim

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm waiting for the resistor and will let you know. Plus I might post up some close ups of the wire routing.
Bengoechea, can you please send some pics of the wireing you have done, i dont seem to be able to find the right wires..( i have the new 1100 ABS model)hence maybe thats why they differ.. but please post the pics so i can check this with my own bike...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts