Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'd love to add a gear indicator to the 750 but although I've found a lot of generic threads and understand the basics I wasn't sure if there was any definitive write-up about how to install an indicator on a bike w/o an ECU. I know the kits are a dime a dozen and was just hoping for guidance on specific details for the older Monsters (or just carb'd Ducs). Thank you!

·
Registered
275 Posts
So, I'd love to add a gear indicator to the 750 but although I've found a lot of generic threads and understand the basics I wasn't sure if there was any definitive write-up about how to install an indicator on a bike w/o an ECU. I know the kits are a dime a dozen and was just hoping for guidance on specific details for the older Monsters (or just carb'd Ducs). Thank you!
I had a 2002 M750 and had modified mine fairly heavily along with my current 2007 S2R 1000. Those bikes are fairly simple, but I wouldnt recommend adding a gear indicator; once you start making changes like this, you'll find that your bike is going to be in the shop for service fairly often. If you want to make changes to your bike, stick to simple items like fender eliminator kits, short stalk turn signals, or maybe an ECU tune and Power Commander. I say that because those are common upgrades but I've never heard of anyone adding a gear indicator kit to a Ducati, and if you do find a kit, I am pretty certain its from China and a "universal" part, not designed for a Ducati. Trust me on this, I've been down this rabbit hole.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has carbs so no ECU, I'd have to put together some kind of window switch setup but figured I'd ask to see if there was any kind of decent kit for a 3-wire tach before I cobble something together.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Doesnt matter if it has carbs or fuel injected. Any gear indicator wouldnt involve the ECU but I still wouldnt recommend this. Up to you however.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with both answers,

I have used the healtech before on old carb bike, they have a Ducati type kit with a bolt on sensor/pickup for front or back wheel.
Most of the other newer kits (EFI.) do in fact connect to the ECU wires. Just go to the site, enter bike details, the indicator will give the correct kit for install. But, beware, ebay and the like, sell cheap Chinese knockoffs which are crap as Sadtaco points out. Here is link to correct ones:
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gipro/gpxt/
manual for use and install instructions on site for download also.

Neat, simple but a bit expensive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to get the X-Type G2 with the WSS speed sensor, that will be a fun weekend project sometime soon. I'll update once I get the done, thanks for the input and recommendation!

·
Registered
217 Posts
The kit for my Monster 1200 plugs into the diagnostic cable under the seat. I guess it couldn't be any easier. But for $160 I can just keep doing like I have been doing forever and try to keep track of what gear I am using in my head. Imho, too expensive to be worth it. Your bank account may vary.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I won't lie, I almost wish I had the FI just for the ECU access and readings. I got used to manual in a car just fine so this would be more for learning, I'm worried about a bad downshift and wiping out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I won't lie, I almost wish I had the FI just for the ECU access and readings. I got used to manual in a car just fine so this would be more for learning, I'm worried about a bad downshift and wiping out.
You would have to **** up pretty bad to crash because of a downshift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts