Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, sooner rather than later I'm going to buying my first bike (took the MSF course and have been riding friends' bikes) but first I wanted to get the gear so that I don't skimp on the gear just to get a better bike (currently looking at the S2R 800). I'm currently riding in a no-name dot helmet, a generic leather jacket, jeans, generic leather gloves, and generic boots, definately not the best. So here is the gear I'm thinking about getting after browsing this forum:

Shoei RF-1000 or a HJC AC-12 Full Carbon Helmet
Alpinestars Dyno Leather Jacket
Octane S-Moto Glove
Alpinestars Track Pants

And I haven't yet looked at boots because I have weird shaped feet and need to take more time looking around (although recommendations welcome).

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the carbon helmet, its nice, light and pretty comfortable. But not as quiet as my previous Shoei. Overall a decent helmet.(but it looks darn cool!) I paid around $240 for on ebay. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
midna said:
<snip>

Shoei RF-1000 or a HJC AC-12 Full Carbon Helmet
Alpinestars Dyno Leather Jacket
Octane S-Moto Glove
Alpinestars Track Pants

And I haven't yet looked at boots because I have weird shaped feet and need to take more time looking around (although recommendations welcome).
The Shoei is a very good helmet, and unless you really need the carbon, save the $$ for other gear that'll make more of a difference in your day to day comfort.

A* makes good stuff too. I'm assuming the jacket will zip to the pants, right? You'll want to be able to do this eventually.

On the Octane gloves, you might be happier with a full gauntlet glove instead of the shorty style. Unless you live someplace incredibly hot. If you have a slide you want gloves that won't pull off of your hands.

On boots there are lots of good choices. The key is to get a pair that fit properly aren't too thick to allow easy shifting, and feel comfortable on the bike. Actually, all the gear should fit well as the primary criterion for buying.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
+ Whatever to the gauntlets. I ahve a set of the cortech ones. Comfy, sturdy and resonibly priced.

If you have not already, I'd recomend you try on the various items, or similar ones if at all possible. I watned that HJC helmet, but one test of it at shop told me that it wasnt' for me, lots of pressure points that got uncomfy in a couple minutes. On the other hand the Shoei slipped on like a (snug) glove and I can happily wear it for hours on end w/o discomfort.

Same idea with the leathers. I recent bought a set of the A* pants online. Nice pants, but not cut for me. I carry a good bit of leg meat from my rugby days and the euro cut in the legs is very slim. The pants fit my waist.. but were painted onto my thighs and calves - yeah TMI prolly - so what.

Also A* jackets are slimly cut. I should be a 56 euro - but I need a 60 A* to have a hope of a comfy fit.

But, beyond sizing issues, your chices seem well thought out so far. Good on ya.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Looks good. + (whatever number we're at) on the gauntlet gloves.

I don't know anything about HJC carbon, but a Shoei RF-1000 is a great helmet for the price.

Figure a back protector in there. I don't know what the Alpinestars jacket comes with, but you'll definitely want a back protector, and probably something more than just a slight bit of foam they add to many jackets.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
For the boots, check into Oxtar. I've tried A* and Sidi boots, which were too tight for my wide feet. Not sure what ya your weird shaped feet are like, but if they're wide the Oxtar's are worth a look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts