Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I have noticed in the past, but confirmed this morning. If my bike is moving, the gauges do not do a full sweep when I turn on the key. Must be the speedo sensor giving feedback to the ecu that cuts it off.

I was sitting on the bike rolling it out of the garage this morning and turned the key on before the bike stopped. The gauges did an eighth sweep and I started the bike. I noticed the tach was reading a bit lower than it should (admittidly purely subjective). I shut the bike off, turned it on keeping it still. The gauges made a complete sweep. I shut off the bike, rolled it slow and turned the key. The gauges again made an incomplete sweep.

When the gauges made a complete sweep, I noticed the tach was reading normal at idle. Approx 1100 rpm. The squares with my experience in the heat of last summer, when at idle the tach was reading about 200rpm, shut the bike off, turned it on with a complete sweep, and the tach read 1100RPM at idle.

Anyone else notice this?

Have I just exposed how anal retentive I really am about these types of things? ;D

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
noticed the same thing, but didn't notice mine to be 200rpm off.

but again, I don't look at my tach...

Q

·
Registered
517 Posts
can't say i've ever done that, but maybe the sweep determines the full range of the gauge. since it only swept 1/5, maybe it thinks that's the full sweep range, and is showing your idle as it's regular 1/10th (or whatever it is.... 1,100 rpm out of 1X,000) position in the new abbreviated range ??? that's just me talking out my butt, though (i'm a buttriloquist).

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
desmo_drum said:
Something I have noticed in the past, but confirmed this morning. If my bike is moving, the gauges do not do a full sweep when I turn on the key. Must be the speedo sensor giving feedback to the ecu that cuts it off.

I was sitting on the bike rolling it out of the garage this morning and turned the key on before the bike stopped. The gauges did an eighth sweep and I started the bike. I noticed the tach was reading a bit lower than it should (admittidly purely subjective). I shut the bike off, turned it on keeping it still. The gauges made a complete sweep. I shut off the bike, rolled it slow and turned the key. The gauges again made an incomplete sweep.

When the gauges made a complete sweep, I noticed the tach was reading normal at idle. Approx 1100 rpm. The squares with my experience in the heat of last summer, when at idle the tach was reading about 200rpm, shut the bike off, turned it on with a complete sweep, and the tach read 1100RPM at idle.

Anyone else notice this?

Have I just exposed how anal retentive I really am about these types of things? ;D
i have notice my bike will only do a partial sweep everynow and then
but i didn't attribute it to moving
i'll test it when i get home

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
desmo_drum said:
One things for sure, your not the only one. Reading that i thought it was a reapair job unitl i got to the very end. So your not the only anal one. [thumbsup], but yes you have exposed it ;D! - Chris

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
desmo_drum said:

THAT is happening with all the gauges i had so far.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
desmo_drum said:

Anyone else notice this?

THAT can be answered here:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=45110.0

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks peeps, I confirmed last night that while moving, even slightly, the gauges don't make a full sweep. I think those times that the the gauges didn't make a full sweep in the past, when sitting still, may have been because the speed sensor was close to the pickup (for lack of the proper terms). Anyway, I could reproduce the effect on my bike, so when the gauges don't do a full sweep I can find the cause and be able to sleep at night. ;D ECU software revision anyone?

Unless, of course, I'm wrong. :-\

1 - 8 of 8 Posts