Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new (to me) 2002 Monster has spider cracks in the tach face. It is annoying in direct sunlight.

Is this replacable with out replacing the whole tach?

Mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here you go.bad news sorry

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/parts-wanted/197929-2002-monster-620-speedometer-assy.html

i actually got pretty lucky.My speedo has a crack starting from the left side before the speedo#'s,pointing towards where the maximum speed my bike could ever go.Dosent really get in the way.I have found a really good solution though for waterproofing.

Go buy a crystal clear Iphone screen protector....trace a template of your gauge out of a piece of paper. use the temp. to cut out a circle(of the screen protector) then,place over plastic gauge lens...pretty easy fix for $10.00.Still gotta live with the crack(s) though.

Let me know if you find a better alternative

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah..I'm going to see if the thing comes apart because I can have a piece cut to size if I need to. It's not really that much of an issue actually..just annoying (not leaking, etc)

There are also shops that repair gauges for much less than $450.

I'll likely just leave it alone and go ride...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah..I'm going to see if the thing comes apart because I can have a piece cut to size if I need to. It's not really that much of an issue actually..just annoying (not leaking, etc)

There are also shops that repair gauges for much less than $450.

I'll likely just leave it alone and go ride...
The thing is...they are not meant to come apart.The top piece is glue on in the factory and is never meant to come off ever.If your crack is like mine it also cracked the plastic black ring and now it looks like it was meant to come off.

Because mine dosent bother me so much I was waiting for it to crack more until it really bothers me to replace/experiment.

If you do plan on experimenting.Take pictures and good notes if you can so I can also fabricate my own.I was thinking a piece of clear lexan would be great

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I had the same issue with my 02 750ie, there was a Saft-T- Glass (not sure if I am spelling that correctly and I no longer live in the same state) shop (one of those places that also does mobile windshield replacements, which is how I knew of them) and I dropped by there and showed them.

In a single day, they used a heat gun to separate the parts, cut a new piece of what I think was plexi-glass, but it was as hard as glass, and put it all back together for me and charged me 50 bucks.

Never became loose and never had an issue.

Just another idea... hope it helps...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had the same issue with my 02 750ie, there was a Saft-T- Glass (not sure if I am spelling that correctly and I no longer live in the same state) shop (one of those places that also does mobile windshield replacements, which is how I knew of them) and I dropped by there and showed them.

In a single day, they used a heat gun to separate the parts, cut a new piece of what I think was plexi-glass, but it was as hard as glass, and put it all back together for me and charged me 50 bucks.

Never became loose and never had an issue.

Just another idea... hope it helps...
Youre the man.Im gonna try to find that place and if I cant find one near me,atleast I know that the gauges can be taken apart and put back together.

How did the JOB look?just like brand new OEM? or could you tell that it had been opened and put back together.?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
From a 'finish' perspective, it was very good, I think I was probably the only one who could tell because it was my bike... kind of like seeing a zit in the mirror when everyone else says they can't see anything ;)

The way it varied to me was:

1) If I stared at it, I could tell the replacement lens was a bit thicker;
2) Because the speedo lens was new, it was now obvious that the tach lens was old (just from cleaning and such over the years, the circle mirror scratches were now more obvious);
3) From the side, there was a tiny (and I mean 'tiny') gap between the black plastic ring and the base unit. Again, something I think I would only notice. The gap was so small, I would bet a razor blade would just barely fit.

If I recall correctly, they also offered to 'fill it' like they would a small windshield crack, but they could not gaurantee that when hit by sunlight, it would not refract the light in a way to make it obvious it was broken at one point, so I took the chance on the replacement.

They may have used more than a heat gun in total as I was not there during the repair, but when I asked them how they did it when I picked it up, they said something like, "I just used a heat gun, replaced the glass and sealed it all together. The tiny gap, BTW, was not a seal gap, meaning that water / humidity sealing was not compromised. Again, I think this was because the lens was a touch thicker.

I also had not tried to remove or replace it myself, so when they did whatever they did to take it apart, I had not already ruined or comprised anything...

I am one of those obsessive bike owners and am very picky and I was amazed at the work. If it was off at all, it would have drove me nuts and I would have eventually replaced the whole thing. In fact, there was a piece of dust or something on the speedo before I had it replaced that drove me batty, but after the fix, it was gone and I was relieved...

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Iam pleased to hear that it turned out well from a fellow obsessive owner.i once had to change a busted headlight lens out on my car and the left side was clearly newer than the right(in my perspective)and it drove me crazy.However when I asked my friends if they could tell where I had gotten into an accident,no one could tell.So #2 and #3 on your list really had me cracking up.I know EXACTLY what you mean LOL

Well now that I know that it is definately possible with good but not OEM perfect results.Im going to try to do it myself once I can get my hands on a suitable replacement lens.Possibly plexiglass or lexan all depends on what will fit nicely.

For the future I will try to get my camera working and I will do my best to write up a "How-to" for this subject because I hear of people with this problem all the time.(although there was never a recall on gauges ...cmon DUCATI...)

Finally, although we all own ducs and accept and understand high maintenace for everything.I dont believe many of us would appreciate paying $500+ for a 4in round of plastic.Just my .02cents

Pics\How-to\maybe how not to\ COMING SOON....

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Iam pleased to hear that it turned out well from a fellow obsessive owner.i once had to change a busted headlight lens out on my car and the left side was clearly newer than the right(in my perspective)and it drove me crazy.However when I asked my friends if they could tell where I had gotten into an accident,no one could tell.So #2 and #3 on your list really had me cracking up.I know EXACTLY what you mean LOL

Well now that I know that it is definately possible with good but not OEM perfect results.Im going to try to do it myself once I can get my hands on a suitable replacement lens.Possibly plexiglass or lexan all depends on what will fit nicely.

For the future I will try to get my camera working and I will do my best to write up a "How-to" for this subject because I hear of people with this problem all the time.(although there was never a recall on gauges ...cmon DUCATI...)

Finally, although we all own ducs and accept and understand high maintenace for everything.I dont believe many of us would appreciate paying $500+ for a 4in round of plastic.Just my .02cents

Pics\How-to\maybe how not to\ COMING SOON....
This would be appreciated. Several years ago, when I turned over 100K, I wanted to open up the speedometer so I could paint a "1" next to the odometer, but was told it wasn't designed to come apart and it would be a big PITA, so I didn't do it. But if you figure out a good method, I might give it a try (although at this point I'd wait about one more year, so I can paint a "2" instead). ;D

PhilB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts