Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my starter on 01 monster S4 and I am now noticing minor leaks coming from the big crank case cover .I used the black permatex stuff on the crank case and used the the silver on the waterpump cover after a failed attemp to reuse the gasket and that is fine.I need some suggestions.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Whats leaking? The waterpump cover or the big alternator cover? For the waterpump cover I just reuse the gasket but put a slight coat of Yamabond 4 (same as the Ducatibond stuff) on the gasket to reseal it. On the alternator cover there isnt a gasket unless someone has put one on. They are sealed with the same stuff, Yamabond 4, Ducatibond, the 3bond stuff. Now you can get gaskets for them from Chris at Ca-Cycleworks and use them, but you will need to remove the shim under the timing sennsor to reset the airgap.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
i3ui3man said:
The main altenator cover is leaking the waterpump cover is good
Well just pull it of, clean both surfaces very well and then reinstall using the proper sealant. Ive always used the Yamabond 4 or Hondabond liquid sealant. Never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
ducman851 said:
Well just pull it of, clean both surfaces very well and then reinstall using the proper sealant. Ive always used the Yamabond 4 or Hondabond liquid sealant. Never had an issue.
+1. A little goes a long way though.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long should I let the RTV gasket maker cure before reinstalling the parts?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
If you use the Ducati, Yamaha, or Honda stuff they say put on a thin coat, let it sit for a minute or so to flash off, then assemble.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
ducatizzy said:
good point. it should be tacky but soft. hard to describe, but it should not sit for long.
Yeah its kinda an art to judge when it ready.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Use permatex Ultra Grey. Will seal and dry quickly. Just use a thin consistent bead and it will be fine. I use it on nearly every auto I have to reseal something on. (I'm a mechanic)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts