Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any online guides on removing the gas tank? I just got an '01 Monster Metallic 600 last week. I love the bike, but hate the color (the "metallic red" is more of a shiny pink") and want to have it painted.

It doesn't look too difficult, but I just wanted to know if there is anything I should be aware of before I attempt to take it off.

·
Registered
783 Posts
It's pretty simple. Unclip the front, tilt it up. On my 00 M750 there is a pin that you slip out by the seat. Then disconnect the plumbing (make sure you have little or no gas) and that's it.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Be sure to unplug any wires to the tank. I forgot that simple step on the low fuel sensor, and when I lifted to tank it broke one of the wires at the pin inside the connector. The low fuel light was intermittent after that and did weird things like lighting up slowly from real dim to normal. I didn't put 2+2 together until the light didn't work one day and I ran the tank dry about 10 miles from home. Duhh! Luckily I have had some electrical fab experience and was able to disassemble the connector and re-pin the damaged wire.

Also be careful of any preformed fuel hoses. On my 95 M900 there was one with a tight radius J-shape that was brittle with age and I cracked it open.

Now that I think about it, having a helper would have made it much easier to hold the tank while pulling the pin without risking scratching the tank edges against the frame.

Mark J

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys. I will be attempting this in early september, I will let you know if I have any more questions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
OK, i removed the tank with no issue but in order to do that i removed the entire gas cap from the tank so to get out all of the gas with a siphon. It has all worked great until now, i am trying to reset the outer part of the gas cap and it wont go. I know i have been a little tentative before on here and that's not the case this time. I have tried rubber hammers, putting a board over then hammering and even trying to finesse it, none have even come close. any help would be appreciated
[thumbsup] ;D

·
Registered
271 Posts
I never had much luck with a rubber mallet. In fact I pounded on it so much a small dent near the opening I'd had removed by a dentless repair guy came back. As I recall I greased it up good, but I can't remember whether I then installed it on the gas cap assembly or the tank first.

Do a search. I got my instructions from another post and whatever they were they worked great.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I have an 06 s2r1000 plastic fuel tank thank i need to replace. Anyone have how-to docs
on this one. I can probably get it done but its good to do a bit of research first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts