Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Monster 620 Dark for 7 excellent months now. However, in the last few months I've noticed to sliver-like outdentions on each side where the knee area is cutout. They look like some sort of mouting components that are "poking" through the tank.

Is this normal or acceptable? It isn't especially obvious...but it disturbs the otherwise fantastic smoothness of the tank.

If this isn't clear I can post pics.

Thanks!
Heath

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
something is "poking" through the metal of your tank ???
initially that doesn't sound right at all, post some pics please!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Sounds like the aliens from Jupiter got to your bike.....Please post picks!!!!

C

·
0 Posts
Yep, mine too - 03 620.

I think it happened when I had the tank, er I mean when the dealer, yeah the dealer had the tank up. Must have happened when it was put back down. Wonder if this would be a warranty item . . ..

I havn't taken the time to look into what caused it but your right it is barely noticable. It was actually kinda nice because up until then I was being a little fanatical, you know not wanting anything to blemish my beautiful italian bella. That little insignificant sliver however has now released me from that phycosis - heck I havn't washed the darn thing in nearly a month! Now I can just ride and have fun. ;D

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Mine has that too on the right side. I didnt know if it was there when I bought it or if it happened after. I dont think I even raised the tank up before I noticed the little "outage". Pretty weird. Since the tanks are mounted kind of "loose" I bet theres somthing that hits just from riding and having your wieght on the tank sometimes. Hmmm... I have my tank off right now. I think ill go investigate.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Mine doesn't have it , I can't even imagine, what it looks like from these descriptions, metal slivers sticking out of the tank????? Maybe it's under my tank panel???

Are they sharp? They don't wipe off??
mmmm.... I'm taking a walk to the garage......

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Used a flashlight and everything, Mad Max has not gotten to my bike.....I have to see a pic of this.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
On the outside of the tank in the "leg cutout" towards the back there will be a small dent... but not a dent. A reverse dent. Wierd thing is that I remember now looking at the underside of my tank and the reverse dent was not a regular dent on the inside. SO.. maybe theres somthing INSIDE the tank itself that causes this. Hahaha... now everyone is going to be looking for reverse dents on their tanks...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
How about a tumor!!??

·
Registered
783 Posts
Arnold says "It's not a tumor, it's not a tumor"

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My tank has no Outage, no Tumor, no Bulge, no Outdention, it's as smooth as ..... well, never mind.

It's probably from a spot weld for internal tank parts. All of you saying you have the "feature" have FI bikes, there is a lot of hardware mounted in the tank. Probably a bulkhead or bracket for the fuel pump or filter.

M

·
0 Posts
I bet you there is a way of combining the occurence of these outerworldy outdentations with the controversial use of high octane gas along with the leaky S4 batteries! We could hatch the board's first uber-thread!!! ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK...this thread has me smiling now.

It is a sliver-like outdentation.

I stopped by the dealer and they said that they had never really seen it either. The Ducati rep will be in town next week and I'm going to leave my bike there for review. It is noticeable on the right side...but very subtle on the left.

It looks like I will have to take a few pics :).

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a small bulge (that doesn't sound flattering) on the right side of my tank. I had the tank up when I took the belt covers off. Never noticed it before that.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
hcajandig, you're saying "sliver"....others are saying "buldge"... seems to me to be a mighty big difference between sliver and buldge.
I checked my tank again, no slivers or buldges, and while I was at it checked the battery, no leakage!!
My tank is as smooth as a BABYS BUTT---- there, Nick, I said it for you !!!!!!!

D

·
0 Posts
2002 S4. bulge, bump, inverted dent. What ever you want to call it, it is there. About 3 days after I bought the bike I noticed it, right side. At first it made me sick, but I figure it is going to get alot more dings.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I bet you there is a way of combining the occurence of these outerworldy outdentations with the controversial use of high octane gas along with the leaky S4 batteries! We could hatch the board's first uber-thread!!! ;D
LOL, it's that high octane gas. ;D
Thanks Deb! I had something racier in mind, tho.... :p

A couple of you folks have threatened to post a pic, can anybody make good on that? I'm really curious now..

C

·
0 Posts
Just posted some pics in the Member Bike gallery. The photos are slightly enhanced as to the level of contrast - just to make the "sliver/buldge/outie" more visable.

jb

1 - 20 of 30 Posts