Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a 2001 Ducati SuperSport - for the last 2 weeks, the gas light has been coming on when the bike has plenty of gas - now, the gas light is on more than it is off (it turns off for 30 seconds or so at random and then comes back on) - This may of started when he took his bike to the car wash, but he's not sure - can anyone provide me with detailed information on how to troubleshoot his gas light? thanks

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I actually posted about this the other day, but it was in an older thread and I think went unnoticed

Lately my fuel light has began winking at me around 120 miles and I dont fill up until around 130. All these miles are stop-and-go city traffic.

However, the last time I filled up the light didnt go out. Ive now ridden 60 miles with the light consistently on. Is the fuel light activated by a float type mechanism? Where could the dumb thing be stuck?

Ive tried shaking the bike back and forth to slosh the gas around inside but that hasnt worked.

I just went down and flipped up the tank and disconnected the electrical thing as was suggested.
The light went out so I guess it is the sensor. How do I fix it?
No gas leaks anywhere

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
No fix. Replacement only.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue!
I also am having problems figuring out where the sensor is (float or sensor?)- is it part of the Fuel injection? meaning, do I have to replace the full fuel injection system which contains the sensor?
(reading my shop manual, I can't tell)
I have a 2001 750 supersport metal tank- I see one small item that looks like it screws into the bottom of the tank that the wires all hook to (guessing 3/4") - and then it looks like I access the fuel filter and the fuel injection from the top of the tank -
SO, I really can't tell if the sensor is part of the fuel injection and I get it from the top (and replace the full fuel injection) OR if the sensor has something to do with the wires and the small part from the bottom? or am I completely wrong? ???

Thanks for all the help!
FKADUC

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I ordered a fuel level sensor from BCM Ducati. They rock. Super-quick service and they even gave me a Thanksgiving Discount. I still get sticker shock from Duck parts... Too bad the salvage one I found was the wrong part #. It was only $16!

Replacing it was a bigger PITA than I thought. You have to have pretty much ALL gas out of the tank or it will leak. I positioned a funnel under where it would leak out of the sensor hole and then had it drain into a bucket. It worked pretty well. You also have to take off the fuel ring on top and reach in the tank to unplug the little connector plugged into the fuel pump. Then you can get the old sensor out and stick in the new one.

Getting the pump back on its little bracket was the most difficult thing of all. Took about an hour just to get it in there...you have to have it perfectly positioned or it just WONT GO and its a tight fit (both for your hand inside the tank AND the fuel pump in the bracket).

All done now! We filled up the tank and there are no leaks. We turned on the bike and the light is OFF! We also let the bike run for a while and still no leaks. So far, so good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.