Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently moved my m695 into the house for the winter. I've noticed that there is a small and slow gas leak. I can't tell where it's coming from.

Some details:
- The temp. fluctuates between 60-70 degrees during the day.
- I filled the tank will gas and stabilizer
- hooked the battery to a tender

Anyone have some ideas as to where the gas is coming from?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Is it coming from the overflow/vent and dripping out the hoses, or going into the vapor cannister?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Sounds to me like it's coming from the vent. Does your bike still have the vapor cannister?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
FatherKind said:
Everything is still stock.

I'm new to biking and this is my first. I'm not sure what the vapor cannister so I don't know if i have it.
All stock Ducatis come with a fuel vapor cannister, or emissions cannister. When the tank is very full fuel can expand and find its way into the cannister. There is also a drain in the fuel filler area to allow water or spilled fuel to escape and not enter the tank.

The drain hose from the cannister and filler area drain have outlets in the area you describe. I would siphon a little gas out of the tank, or place a drip pan under the bike. It should cease when the level drops to a point that the fuel doesn't overflow from the expansion..

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, that's what I have been doing. It's been dripping for a few days now, but i guess that's due to the weird temps we've been having in the past few days.

I'll keep the drip pan underneath.

Is there a possability that this leak could be indicative of a larger problem?

thanks

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Anything is possible, but I'm guessing you filled the tank to the tippy top in cool weather, and then brought the bike into a warmer basement.

It is the recipe for what is happening. Don't lift the tank, as that will compound the problem. You might open the cap and look to see if that in fact is what is going on. The fuel needs to be well below the sealing surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.