Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Gas leak help

991 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  anzalone22 
#1 ·
I just noticed a very small leak in my tank. The problem I'm having is the leak is very small. I can't tell where it's coming from. It's either coming from the seam at the back of the tank or the drain at the back of the tank.

Does anyone know a very simple way to determine where the leak is coming from?

If the drain is the cause, some fuel safe teflon tape will take care of it. If the seam is leaking then I'll do a search on Por-15.

I plan on storing the bike inside, soon :(. I will probably drain the tank thanks to the leak rather than fill it up and add fuel stabilizer. The bike being inside even a minor leak will upset the family.

#2 ·
Spray some windex on the tank bottom to clean it. Let it dry, and then spray it with aerosol powder (like foot powder). Then watch the liquid seep out. Just do the hinge area because I'll lay 10 to 1 that's where the leak is.

You might want to consider brazing all around the hinge plate. People have had failures of all types of sealers without the reinforcement.

#3 ·
ducpainter said:
Spray some windex on the tank bottom to clean it. Let it dry, and then spray it with aerosol powder (like foot powder). Then watch the liquid seep out. Just do the hinge area because I'll lay 10 to 1 that's where the leak is.

You might want to consider brazing all around the hinge plate. People have had failures of all types of sealers without the reinforcement.
yup, I'd add some cash on that bet

#5 ·
64duc said:
+1 And definitely braze/weld the tank, not just POR 15, because the metal itself is cracked.
I agree, but I only like to suggest. People don't like to be told. ;D

#6 ·
Thanks Everyone,

I just tried a quick test. I windexed the bottom/backend of the tank. I applied baby powder (it's the only powdery substance I had). It looks like the tank is leaking through the drain, seam at the back of the tank and at the bracket base.

I'm a little confused about the bracket base. I would thing the bracket mounts to the bottom of the tank and the bottom is a solid surface. Is the bottom of the tank an opening and the bracket mounts to the opening?

I'd hate to have the tank brazed. Do you think JB Weld and Por 15 would do the trick or am I just wasting time and money and should have it brazed?

#7 ·
The spot welds crack the base of the tank. The fuel seeps from under the plate. I have never seen a tank leak from the seam unless it was rusted through.

I would not just coat the tank. If you are careful you can braze the plate and the damage from brazing will not show when the seat is on.

#10 ·
Threadjack, but sorta on topic. A couple of years ago I saw some rust in the tank, so I did the POR 15 thing. Now, it looks like I have a leak around the hinge. It seems to me that brazing the hinge is just gonna leave a mess inside. Anyone dealt with this?

#11 ·
Ddan said:
Threadjack, but sorta on topic. A couple of years ago I saw some rust in the tank, so I did the POR 15 thing. Now, it looks like I have a leak around the hinge. It seems to me that brazing the hinge is just gonna leave a mess inside. Anyone dealt with this?
Yup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.