Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a black flanged ring that sits between the gas cap and the tank.

How the heck do I get it back in place? I try to push it onto the back side of the outer gas cap ring, but it keeps popping off in the places where I don't have fingers. Is there a trick? Silicone?

Tigre

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I had a problem with this, trying to remember. From memory I was over complicating the thing and the rubber gasket just sat underneath not over. Have another look at it but i think you are doing as I did it is more simple than that.sorry not clearer good luck.
Guy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had to get mine changed out as warranty because it was leaking gas. The mechanic did it in under a half hour. If you take the three alan head bolts that hold the gas cap on off under the gas cap around the edge of the gas filler there are small small allen set screws try loosening them up and popping the ring back down. Don't pull the metal piece out just loosen those screws and see if it will pop back down. This should work but it is JMO

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... I'm still having trouble.

I think I see how the rubber flange-piece fits into the whole picture -- I think it needs to be attached to the outer ring of the gas cap before the gas cap goes back into the tank. I can't see another way that the flange would stretch out to fill the hole -- it's smaller than the opening.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had to pull my cap off to replace the one on my 750SS. It was a pain cause it didnt want to stay. Once you get it off put the seal around the cap very carefully set it back down on the tank and put the bolts in.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually bought a new seal -- it's this new one I can't get to fit.

Tigre

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
If the entire piece is removed, then the green o-ring at bottom will give you fits as they stretch and make it difficult to replace unit. When replacing cap assembly, install new green rubber o-ring and put cap assy back on tank. Install it except for about 1/4 inch left out of tank. Put black rubber seal around cap assy. Tilt one side down, ensuring seal sets right, tighten the small set screws on that side, then push other side down. Then tighten other small set screws. I put some wax around lip so it slid in.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Troyslap,

You're saying I should add the black flange seal after I've already put the unit in the tank? Interesting... I'll give that a try.

Tigre

·
Registered
447 Posts
I gave up after an hour or so of immense frustration. :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Troyslap,

You're saying I should add the black flange seal after I've already put the unit in the tank?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Troyslap!

It worked. Thanks for the tip. I had no trouble reusing the green seal.

Tigre

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Great, glad it worked. I have never had luck reusing the o-ring. I have seen many a superbike leak like H*ll from a pinched o-ring, as their assembly is underneath the tank/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts