Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

gas additives and octane

911 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  ducpainter 
#1 ·
96 m900...the manual says no additives to the gas....why? no techron which i used to use in my honda? and also what does the group use octane-wise....regular or super? thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
I have the same bike. I use 87 octane, and use some carb/injector cleaner first tank in the spring. Mine runs fine.

#4 ·
norcal 900 said:
thanks! does your bike run kinda rough at idle and low revs? or is that part of the monster way? the asian bikes i've had don't play this way....
Once warm, it settles in to a smooth idle. If your bike has been sitting for a while I would try some carb cleaner in a couple of tanks. Keep in mind that an L twin will not idle as smoothly as an I4. I don't think it should be "rough" though. It could be described as a bit "lumpy".

As far as low revs, is it the engine running rough or driveline snatch? If your bike has stock gearing low speed running can be a bit "jerky".

#5 ·
Jedi Knight said:
install a 14t front sprocket if you wnat smoother low speeds.

As far as carb cleaner, I recommend using Sea Foam.
I'd recommend installing a larger rear. ;D Different strokes...........Jedi's solution is cheaper

#6 ·
Jedi Knight said:
Actually kind of funny, Ducpainter, is that I dont have a 14t front, I have a 15t.

and....

a 43t rear [thumbsup]

ok, you guys, so for this newbie, is a 14 or 15t front smaller or larger than stock and how bout the 43t rear is that smaller or larger than stock....i'm hoping that changing the gearing as you suggest will also allow me to use more gears???

#7 ·
ducpainter said:
Once warm, it settles in to a smooth idle. If your bike has been sitting for a while I would try some carb cleaner in a couple of tanks. Keep in mind that an L twin will not idle as smoothly as an I4. I don't think it should be "rough" though. It could be described as a bit "lumpy".

As far as low revs, is it the engine running rough or driveline snatch? If your bike has stock gearing low speed running can be a bit "jerky".
you've hit all my issues...it idles "smooth" but kinda like a car with a cam...and yeah its kinda lumpy....and i do get driveline snatch....good term...i feel i need to really feather the clutch out....and yes i have the stock gearing.....so....if i go to a 14t front will i need a new chain? thanks....you guys are great!!

#8 ·
norcal 900 said:
you've hit all my issues...it idles "smooth" but kinda like a car with a cam...and yeah its kinda lumpy....and i do get driveline snatch....good term...i feel i need to really feather the clutch out....and yes i have the stock gearing.....so....if i go to a 14t front will i need a new chain? thanks....you guys are great!!
Stock on a 96 is 15/39. I am running 15/41. It works for me. I live in the country. There are 2 stop signs and 1 traffic light per 100 miles. If you live in a very congested area perhaps you should contact the gearing guru. If you swap to a 14t front your chain will be fine. If you switch to a larger rear you will need a new chain.

Depending on mileage it might be economical to replace the whole shooting match. If your chain and sprockets are good it is definitely more economical to replace the front with a 14t.

HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.