Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did some research on a GPS and ended up ordering a Garmin Zumo. From what I have read it seems like a pretty nice piece and comes with both car and bike mounts.

Anyone have one; if so...do you like it?

Anything you don't like about it?

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Very cool unit and good description by the owner of what it can do. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I don't have the Zumo, but I got a C550 for Christmas & the thing is great. It has bluetooth built in, preloaded maps w/points of interest, touchscreen operation,traffic alerts & a bunch of stuff I haven't even figured out yet. You can't go wrong w/ a Garmin. [thumbsup] ;D

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I got one - but I haven't mounted it on the bike yet. Works great in the truck.
Was already a fan of Garmin, also have a c330.

It comes with everything you need for bike & car use, but I ordered a mount from techmounts.com because the RAM mount that is included is kinda bulky.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kenrok1 said:
I got one - but I haven't mounted it on the bike yet. Works great in the truck.
Was already a fan of Garmin, also have a c330.

It comes with everything you need for bike & car use, but I ordered a mount from techmounts.com because the RAM mount that is included is kinda bulky.
I've been searching around the GPS boards and am now wondering how exactly I should wire this thing up. From what I read I am leaning toward a switched hook-up. What are your plans for wiring?

I read about the TechMount and did check their site out. I also got on the Ram site during lunch at work today. This being my first GPS of any kind, I am surely a noob...in fact the thing will not be delivered until this Friday so I don't have it in hand to monkey around with it yet either.

When using the Ram mount, it looks like if I want to take the GPS off of the bike, including the cradle, all that remains is the clamp with the ball? Is that correct? The Tech Mount looks like the whole mount remains? Am I missing something there? If all that remains with the Tech is the handle bar clamp...then it does appear a way cleaner mount. If, however, the whole Tech mount remains, then the Ram seems to have less "stuff" remain on the bike when the GPS and cradle are not mounted??

I like the fact that the GPS is also an MP3 player BUT if you use Bluetooth helmet speakers you only get MP3 in mono...so to hear MP3 in stereo you have to use wired headphones. What are your plans for headphones/helmet speakers?

I also want to use this between the Monster and the ST4, so I guess I will need an extra hardwire set-up and mount...?

I would appreciate pix of the Techmount once you have it installed.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I also have this unit on my 695, shifted a little so it covers the speedo, not the tach so much. This unit really shows the difference in the actual speed vs. displayed speed of the stock speedometer. (My 695 registers about 4 to 5 mph over what the Zumo says, but the Zumo is right on with my truck's display.) YMMV

The mount is a little cumbersum, and with a big thumbscrew easy to remove (WTF Garmin?) but I never leave it on the bike if I'm not on it. The bluetooth connection to my treo 650 is a great feature since it lets me know if someone "important" calls while I am riding.

I only use the audio while in my truck, I get distracted easily enough on the Monster. ;) (That and I don't have any headphones in my helmet.)

I really like this unit and highly recommend it. Purchased on ebay for something like $785 out the door.

Unfortunately, I always seem to be going places that don't exist yet to Garmin (or mapquest, etc...) and all of the places that do exist I already take the optimal route according to it.

The additional voices that you can DL are neat, especially the British and Australian accents (both male and female). It does get a little funny hearing different street names with weird pronunciations and it constantly says "doctor" instead of "drive" for "Dr." and "gah" for "GA" (Georgia).

Also, my first DMB post, so please be nice.

Dano

·
Registered
393 Posts
dano7891 said:

Dano

No.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dano7891 said:

Dano
Hey, thanx for the feedback. Nice enough?

So how is yours wired? I guess some people run it directly to the battery, others splice it in a switched wire. One thing I like about the direct to battery method, is not messing with the factory harness. I'll probably go switched though.

Good luck with your Monster and welcome to the DML. Seems to be a lot of knowledge here, many helpful people and not much juvenile behavior....I know I spend too much time here but, hey...it's winter...gotta get my MC fix somehow. Weather has been good though and have gotten out more than in your average late fall, early winter.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I wired it directly to the battery. Easy enough of a connection: Red to Red, Black to Black. All of the extra wire was hidden next to the battery, just a few zip ties to the throttle cable to keep it neat near the mount.

I didn't screw the plug end into the mount though so that I could pull it if I feel the need to remove the whole mount, but I'll probably never do it.

Besides the 14t sprocket, fly screen and GPS my mods on the bike will wait until spring or summer. (I still have the reflectors on the forks! Hey - it keeps my mother happy, don't know why.)

Dano

1 - 13 of 13 Posts