Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any solutions to the problem of closing the garage door after getting on your bike?

For me, it's always a question of if I put the glove on before or after I dig into my pocket for the opener, and usually trying to press the opener with my (gloved) hand inside my pocket.

As I write this I wonder if I'm really lazy and if I just need to pull the thing out. Still, it sure would be nice to just press a button on my helmet or something. I'm sure with bluetooth (and paired with a phone) there's a way but really I doubt it exists...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Theres no such thing as a silly question when it comes to fellow Ducatisti trying to figure out how to maximize our riding pleasuse. My answer would be 1, Start your bike 2, back out of the garage 3, put all your gear on except your gloves 4, use garage door opener to close the door 5, put the garage door opener in your pocket 6, put your gloves on 7, commence to ride your Ducati.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You could get one of those mini door openers and put it on your keychain. It might bang against the tank though...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Theres no such thing as a silly question when it comes to fellow Ducatisti trying to figure out how to maximize our riding pleasuse. My answer would be 1, Start your bike 2, back out of the garage 3, put all your gear on except your gloves 4, use garage door opener to close the door 5, put the garage door opener in your pocket 6, put your gloves on 7, commence to ride your Ducati.
I back out of garage, close door. Start bike, put on helmet and gloves, ride off.
Returning, I park bike, go inside for a leak, open door, park bike, close door.
We have a remote control opener, but I never use it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I took a regular garage door opener and took the chip out of it, made a 3D printed case that allowed me to mount it to my bike in the frame, and rewired it to a switch i put on the handlebar (again with a 3D printed mount). More or less the same idea as the 'mo-door' solution offered above, but a lot cheaper. It works perfectly and you'd never know it was there unless you knew to look for it!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've only thought about this when returning home, wet or cold, fumbling in pocket for opener, take gloves off, then drop one etc. get it in neutral, then struggle to pick up glove.

If you wear gloves with a cuff, gauntlets they call them here, just attach the opener inside the top cuff of a glove. ( as long as it's a small one)
Either stitch in a piece of lace type material to hold it or even tie wraps stitched through the lining. Very easy to operate opener with other gloved hand, even with clutch pulled in. You can easily open door while riding up to driveway.

Openers do not like the wet, so make sure it's inside.

Just my thoughts,

Ron.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I found the smallest remote compatible with my garage and hook it on a Nite Ize locking S Biner. If I am riding all day I keep in my pocket or back pack. On my last stop before home I will hook it on the outside of the backpack strap so i can hit the remote as a roll up to the house. Works out pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
3,592 Posts
What about?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hot damn! So many solutions to this problem, thank you all. I'm currently sunk into my routine but will have to pick one of the options here once I get motivated to fix this problem again.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I bought a mini opener and velcroed it inside a chest pocket so the button faces out. I just tap that spot to actuate. Works fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a mini opener and velcroed it inside a chest pocket so the button faces out. I just tap that spot to actuate. Works fine.
This is also what I do. My neighbor asked me why I tap my upper torso "Star Trek" style when I come home. He didn't realize the correlation with the garage door opening right after that. :grin

This is the best/cheapest setup if you have multiple bikes, only one jacket. Nothing fancy. :D

Many garage openers now are WIFI enabled and have mobile apps. That's another alternative if you have your phone mounted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are there any solutions to the problem of closing the garage door after getting on your bike?

For me, it's always a question of if I put the glove on before or after I dig into my pocket for the opener, and usually trying to press the opener with my (gloved) hand inside my pocket.

As I write this I wonder if I'm really lazy and if I just need to pull the thing out. Still, it sure would be nice to just press a button on my helmet or something. I'm sure with bluetooth (and paired with a phone) there's a way but really I doubt

·
Registered
619 Posts
I ride multiple bikes so the mini garage door opener in the jacket pocket works best for me. I can always put Velcro in other jacket pockets if I want to swap jackets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts