Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Future S4RS owner questions

13K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  GinTonic 
#1 ·
Hello Fellow Ducati Lovers,

I am excited to be here but more excited about the prospect of locating and purchasing
a Ducati S4RS.
I need owner input. I will be purchasing what will be my first Ducati.
Also, it will be shipped to the Azores Island of Sao Miguel.

I have ridden motocross bikes as a kid and have owned a Harley Dyna for over 10 yrs.

The reason I am going for such a drastic contrast in bikes for Portugal is the type of riding that is available there. Think of a mini Isle of Man with tighter twists, tighter villages and shorter straits, but this doesn't count the super highway the recently built, 200kmh straight easy.

So what do you have to say?

Thanks
Future Fellow

#2 ·
I'm extremely biased and would agree with your choice. I bought an 1100Evo ABS thinking it would be more sensible, but couldn't get the S4RS bug out of my head. I surrendered, and I'm glad I did.

I know not all S4RS are going to be exactly the same to ride, but speaking for mine, goes like stink, loves to lean, agile - in short, the terrific ride I should have bought in the first place.

Unlike my 1100 Evo ABS, no handlebar vibration over 4000rpm.

Make sure the bike you buy has had all its servicing.

#4 ·
I bought a Tricolore that had 27,000 kilometres showing. That cost me $AU13,000. I think that might be a good price for where I am, Australia. That would probably be my own upper limit for preferred mileage. Depends what you can find....

#5 · (Edited)
i bought a 2007 with 8,000mi and zero records for $6,000USD, but i had a "motivated" seller. that being said, i immediately changed the timing belts myself and added a few upgrades. i now have 15,000mi and couldn't be happier with my purchase.

i would say there is no realistic amount of miles that is "too many" as long as the bike has service history. i wouldn't hesitate to buy one with 30,000mi as long as i know it was taken care of. worst case scenario is a refresh on the pistons and/or rings, bearings, and gaskets. if you want one bad enough, that wouldn't make you flinch.

something to consider would be the 2006-2007 models though, as they are far more abundant with almost 5,000 in total being made in various color schemes. the 2008 MY only produced around 800 and half of them are Tricolore models which are inherently more valuable. one of these days i'll get my hands on a DP/Termi Kit-equipped 2008 Tricolore with low miles and i'll sit on it for 30 years while i beat the hell out of my white/red 2007 and current winter project M900 ;)

(Edit): forgot to mention... Congratulations on selecting what is IMHO the best monster ever created. some will say the early bikes are better looking due to the lack of water cooling, and some will tell you the modern bikes are better with their LCD display and varying degrees of ABS/TCS. having owned several Monsters, i can tell you without a shadow of doubt that the "RS" is the most fun ive ever had on two wheels. one last tip, PAY EXTRA FOR A TERMI/DP KIT-EQUIPPED MODEL. while you could buy the ECU or have one flashed, and anybody can modify the airbox and drop in a filter, you will almost never find the full 50mm exhaust for sale elsewhere. ive had a grand floating out there for anyone willing to sell me a prime example and haven't found one in two years...

#6 · (Edited)
As found on the net - purported to be in response to an enquiry sent to Ducati:

S4RS production numbers
2006 - 3560
2007 - 1375
2008 - 783

Monster S4RS Tricolore were produced a total of 959 units of which 65 units were for the Australian Market. North America got 400.

Seems like a lot of owners gave their bikes a "tail chop", by way of a tail tidy. That may or may not be important to you in buying one. Whether originality is a factor.

Already, the Power Commander III for this model seems to be out of production, limiting tuning options for those of us who like to dyno-tune their bikes.

#7 ·
As found on the net - purported to be in response to an enquiry sent to Ducati:

S4RS production numbers
2006 - 3560
2007 - 1375
2008 - 783

Monster S4RS Tricolore were produced a total of 959 units of which 65 units were for the Australian Market. North America got 400.
i thought my worldwide production numbers were close, but that last bit cant be accurate since the Tricolore was only produced for MY2008. if they only produced 783 bikes that year, they couldn't have produced 959 TC bikes.

im pretty sure worldwide production was 400 and only 250 made their way to the US :/

#8 · (Edited)
North America got 400. The badges were affixed by Ducati North America and not by the factory. 1 of 400 – 2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore say the USA got 250, but, if correct, that would mean Canada and or Mexico (If that is part of North America?) got 150.

First set of numbers source: http://www.***********************/index.php?topic=64188.0

Seems it is not permitted to name that website here.

Ducati seem to be listing Tricolore separately?
2008 S4RS - 783
2008 Tricolore - 959

"We thank you for contacting us.

In reference to your email, we would like to inform you that according to our database of the bike model Monster S4RS Tricolore were produced a total of 959 units of which 65 units destined for the Australian Market.

Furthermore we would kindly invite you to provide us a copy of registration documentation of the bike model you are inquiring about in order to update our owners database.

Best regards,

Stefan

Customer Service
Ducati Motor Holding Spa
Borgo Panigale – Italy"
2008 tricolor numbers

Attachments

#9 ·
08 S4RS Tricolore.

While I love the bike, it is a handful. Depending on your riding skill it may or may not be the best bike you've ever been on. Also your level of local law enforcement and such can play a huge factor in your ability to enjoy the bike.

Take me for a grain of salt if you will. I take exactly as much enjoyment of riding either my S4RS or my Aprilia RS125. I will also tell you I took out some Scramblers a few years back and the 400 was my favorite as it was much smoother of a ride than the larger 803.

If your back roads are long and open twisties then the S4RS is a good idea. If your roads are tight and dangerous, the RS125 shines. The S4RS wants to wheelie out of tight slow corners and can catch you off guard lifting the front or sliding around the rear. However the brakes on this bike are fantastic so it can be pushed hard if you have the skills. Any of the Monster family can be a great purchase (well I hated the 600 when it was here at the house) in the right environment. In fact I still think one of the best all around motorcycles I've ever ridden was the M750 from 2001. It was just the right amount of go with the amazing style that so defined the M series. Easy to handle, just enough power to get in trouble, cheap to insure and purchase.

What I find with the S4RS is it can be a chore to ride around like a daily machine. It just wants to be aggressive at all times. I loved it when I first purchased it but as the streets around me filled with more and more traffic I found myself only wanting to take it out on back road rides on the weekends. Then as I began working more and more hours and found myself with less free time, the bike began to sit. Now it gets a couple hundred miles on it every year just to keep it moving. I'm not selling it because it is gorgeous to look at and that brings me enough joy to justify keeping it.

What I've found is that after owning over a hundred different motorcycles and more Ducati's than I care to list, and with several Ducati and about 20 other bikes here at the house is that my go to is my 97 900SS. That bike checks all the right boxes for me. It's damn fast without being too much. It's got great brakes, a great riding position, I prefer carbureted bikes as well. So I wouldn't rule out an M900 either, especially with Keihin FCR41 flatslide carbs.

#11 ·
08 S4RS Tricolore.
What I find with the S4RS is it can be a chore to ride around like a daily machine. It just wants to be aggressive at all times. I loved it when I first purchased it but as the streets around me filled with more and more traffic I found myself only wanting to take it out on back road rides on the weekends. Then as I began working more and more hours and found myself with less free time, the bike began to sit. Now it gets a couple hundred miles on it every year just to keep it moving. I'm not selling it because it is gorgeous to look at and that brings me enough joy to justify keeping it.
Back in 07, I visited Ducati Seattle and had the owner say much the same about the S4R.
I was obsessed over the S2R's and he walked me through the three in the group.
It was a well thought out spread, you have to admit.

He said the S4R was just a little too much for him, and he was more into the S2R 1000, but the 800 had an easier clutch.
He explained he was an older guy though, and a little out of that point in his life :)
Seemed like a fair appraisal.

10 years later and I've got that S2R 1000.. I'm kind of in love with it.. It just seems like the most insane perfect all around fun bike.

#12 ·
I have had a bunch of bikes, currently have an 07 s4rs, Id safely say last of the bad ass bikes with no rider aids. Great power, great suspension and great brakes. with a few little things you can make it yours. Also worth noting, Ducati detuned the engine for the monster chassis meaning there is a lot more power to be had by tuning. I would skip the power commander unless you are changing pistons and cams. If all you do is an exhaust, and highflow airfilter/ airbox mod, a DP flash ecu with you throttles synced, tps reset and your target trims set, the bike will run like a top. Rexxer has GREAT ecu flashes. I put on a STM EVO slipper clutch because the bike generates a lot of engine braking from high rpm and downshifting and you could get tossed off pretty easy if you arent careful (slipping the clutch a little by hand).

Its a wicked bike that will be exciting to ride and given the right roads rewarding and scary at the same time because of how good it is. No more second guessing, buy one

#13 ·
I inherited a friend's 07 S4RS with 87k MILES on it when he decided to get a 2019 1200R. It still runs GREAT. He was always religious with maintenance. He did have the head rebuilt about 20k miles ago. Carbon buildup caused piston interference. No damage, just wouldn't start (turn over). While he had it off he put new valves and rings. I have 2 900SS ( 94 and 95) and have had aircooled monsters (a 900 and a 750). But this thing is off the hook!! I was looking to get a 2017+ Tuono 1100 Factory, but after riding this I can put that on the back burner. I hope to get many more miles of fun out of this beastie!!

#14 ·
That thing looks mean.
I'm in the same boat with my S4RS, it's just uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I have no reason to look at other bikes after I got it. Just amazing engine. I'm certain there are far better option for performance or whatever, but I'm not looking.

However the itch is starting to happen again. I spent a few years buying motorcycles for other people, as a recent bachelor again I'm starting to think it's time to add yet another motorcycle I won't be able to keep up the maintenance or keep road legal. Any chance you'd be willing to part with a 900ss? Currently shopping for one. Either a 900SS or I have my eye on a '06 Sport Classic in red, it's not an "S" though. Hmmmm. Both are gorgeous.

#15 ·
Id hit it...lol I love that Akro exhaust

#18 ·
NICE number on the dyno! I want to Dyno mine and custom map it but no one here can do it. So I just have a real DP ecu that is trim set.

#19 · (Edited)
Mine

Last year,

Earlier This year

Its now back to white with the OZ wheels again though

I like to mess around with it

Reactions: slopeheadjeff
#20 ·
As opposed to another thread I will piggy-back on this one as I too am being recently tempted by a gorgeous black S4RS with tons of upgrades (Full Termi-exhaust, Marchesini rims, tons of other upgrades...) and 14K miles on the ODO. Seems a fair price according to my local market conditions. This for me in all honesty will be a garage-queen, for select good-weather days as I have other bikes.

I hope to test ride it, and that will be the ultimate decision maker for me as the demo ride allows for that 'connection' that sparks my purchase decision. I've been excited about lots of bikes in the past and after a demo ride I walked away with a 'meh' feeling after. (Kawi ZRX1200 as an example; great bike, but not for me it turns out - too aggressive and the inline 4 did nothing for me).

Re-Sale is always top of mind for me on any purchase, regardless how emotionally attached I am.

Questions for the experts:
Fuel Tank expansion...
Ethanol woes. Current tank on this bike not impacted by this but I've heard of other S4RS that need a fuel tank swap. Is this a deal-breaker for some or not a big deal if the current tank checks out?

Honest thoughts on the future value of S4RS in general...
This is a special model it seems, but also appears to be a niche market. Is there a general consensus that the S4RS will remain 'sought after' as years go by? Obviously condition a factor here, but I'm hopeful that when the day comes to sell the overall value will retain. I won't gamble on value appreciation, I'd have to wait a decade or more for that possibility.

Ohlins Suspension
I've heard different opinions on the Ohlins. Some say it's a must-have, others say it's too wound-up and tight for the crappy roads around us. Typical roads for me are fast sweepers as opposed to technical and gnarly mountains. Frost heave is common, which is why my GSA is pure-joy as it eats this up with aplomb.

Cheers for feedback all - I have lusted after the Monster for over 15 years now, this is the closest I've come to almost owning one.

#21 · (Edited)
Buy it, great bike, Ive had mine for a few years and cant find anything worth replacing it for. edit** -- Also, they arent going to be getting any cheaper or more plentiful, so get one while you can. I think they were bottom price about 2 yrs ago, they have gone up 25% since I got mine. So I dont have to worry about losing money on mine ever

#22 ·
I came across this topic searching google for some information on model productions and thought I would add my two cents. I don't have an S4Rs but I do have an 2004 S4R and I thought I would share my perspective in 2020 for anyone else who comes across this thread. I came from a 2008 Monster 695 that had a decent amount of work done to it that made it into a really fun motorcycle. I had that bike for four years and when I listed it sale earlier this year, I was not looking for another Ducati. In fact, I wanted to get back into a 2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory after owning a 2013 Tuono 1000.

Like I said, I was not looking for another Ducati but a 2004 S4R popped up on my FB marketplace and this one just so happened to speak to me despite never really being a fan of the S4 series. So I messaged the guy, worked out the logistics, and a week later I had the S4R in my garage. After addressing all the gremlins with the bike and putting it on the road, my thoughts are this: I would love to own a 2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory but I just don't care to own one anymore.

The S4R is a much more streetable and ridable bike with torque all throughout the rev range. It is everything my 695 was to me with just another level of power. I'm running 14/42 gearing and an Arrow exhaust with cross pipe and open airbox plus a Ducati Performance ECU. I don't know what it makes at the wheel but it's enough to satisfy me. And I don't feel like I'm missing out on 150+hp for the riding I do which is mostly back roads.

Do I miss the smaller 695 which is comparable to the S2R800 and the 800ie as far as engine performance. Yes, sometimes I do. Lets face it, smaller bikes are fun. When I had that bike, I never felt like I was missing out. They are easier to ride around town just like they are easier to ride at their limits. The 695 had a nice linear power band which was easy to manage and never felt like it would rip out of your hands. I can't say the same about the S4R except that the power is also very linear but requires more thought into your inputs and I can't bring it to its limit like I was able to on the 695. But, this thing just wants to go go go!

Now for some fun observations. The S4R gets way more attention than my 695 ever did. People who know what it is are always scoping out the engine and those who don't know what it is just admire it from afar. The sound this bike produces is also on another level and can give a V4 a run for its money in that department. It turns heads and gets a lot of thumbs up.

I'm satisfied with the S4R. I was satisfied with my 695 for four years. I have a feeling it'll be one of those bikes I end up keeping rather than replacing. As an addition to this bike, I could see adding a Multistrada 1200/1260 to the mix for more long distance oriented rides.

Going back to the topic of the S4RS, I have not ridden the RS. Given what my S4R is, I can imagine the S4RS is on another level if you are after the power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.