Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Buy it, great bike, Ive had mine for a few years and cant find anything worth replacing it for. edit** -- Also, they arent going to be getting any cheaper or more plentiful, so get one while you can. I think they were bottom price about 2 yrs ago, they have gone up 25% since I got mine. So I dont have to worry about losing money on mine ever

·
Registered
80 Posts
I came across this topic searching google for some information on model productions and thought I would add my two cents. I don't have an S4Rs but I do have an 2004 S4R and I thought I would share my perspective in 2020 for anyone else who comes across this thread. I came from a 2008 Monster 695 that had a decent amount of work done to it that made it into a really fun motorcycle. I had that bike for four years and when I listed it sale earlier this year, I was not looking for another Ducati. In fact, I wanted to get back into a 2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory after owning a 2013 Tuono 1000.

Like I said, I was not looking for another Ducati but a 2004 S4R popped up on my FB marketplace and this one just so happened to speak to me despite never really being a fan of the S4 series. So I messaged the guy, worked out the logistics, and a week later I had the S4R in my garage. After addressing all the gremlins with the bike and putting it on the road, my thoughts are this: I would love to own a 2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory but I just don't care to own one anymore.

The S4R is a much more streetable and ridable bike with torque all throughout the rev range. It is everything my 695 was to me with just another level of power. I'm running 14/42 gearing and an Arrow exhaust with cross pipe and open airbox plus a Ducati Performance ECU. I don't know what it makes at the wheel but it's enough to satisfy me. And I don't feel like I'm missing out on 150+hp for the riding I do which is mostly back roads.

Do I miss the smaller 695 which is comparable to the S2R800 and the 800ie as far as engine performance. Yes, sometimes I do. Lets face it, smaller bikes are fun. When I had that bike, I never felt like I was missing out. They are easier to ride around town just like they are easier to ride at their limits. The 695 had a nice linear power band which was easy to manage and never felt like it would rip out of your hands. I can't say the same about the S4R except that the power is also very linear but requires more thought into your inputs and I can't bring it to its limit like I was able to on the 695. But, this thing just wants to go go go!

Now for some fun observations. The S4R gets way more attention than my 695 ever did. People who know what it is are always scoping out the engine and those who don't know what it is just admire it from afar. The sound this bike produces is also on another level and can give a V4 a run for its money in that department. It turns heads and gets a lot of thumbs up.

I'm satisfied with the S4R. I was satisfied with my 695 for four years. I have a feeling it'll be one of those bikes I end up keeping rather than replacing. As an addition to this bike, I could see adding a Multistrada 1200/1260 to the mix for more long distance oriented rides.

Going back to the topic of the S4RS, I have not ridden the RS. Given what my S4R is, I can imagine the S4RS is on another level if you are after the power.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts