Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I just came across this forum today. I've been looking into getting a bike for a while now and always liked the monsters. This would be my first bike. I went to the local shop, and they have two 2003 620ie's. I am pretty sure that this will be my only bike and think this will be a good beginner bike as well as one I can grow with. I have one concern though. I'm not a tall guy(5'7") and sitting on the bike, the soles of my shoes(not boots) couldnt be planted flat on the ground. does anyone know if the bike can easily be lowered a bit? also, i read the the '04's have a smoother clutch, is it worth it to go with an '04 for this, especially me being a new rider? any thoughts and info would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Ryan

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Yeah, what Higgie said. There aren't all that many bikes that have a lower seat height than a Monster 620, after all. You don't want some frikkin cruiser :p

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't worry about the height, I was never able to put both feet any where near the ground on my Guzzi and managed not to drop it at lights. You get used to it, and with the 620 being relatively light it will not be a problem.
Go with the Ducati, you won't regret it.....

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Take the MSF course before testing/riding to get some confidence.

The 620 was the 3rd bike I had ever rode as a beginner (125 MSF honda, 80 cubic inch HD lowrider, then the 620 monster).

I thought the monster was just as easy as the rest, except for starting off from stoppe versus the HD. The HD you can just dump the clutch, the 620 is a little more finicky. You get used to it after the first day riding though.

mitt

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
04 has a slipper cutch,ducati sells a lower seat in the accesories catalog.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Get the 620...2003 or 04...depends on what kind of deal you can get...after MSF I was wishing that I had an easier clutch to pull, but that was because that we shifted a ton in class--I've got the 03--clutch is not an issue in every day riding, excellent first bike from my impressions as a new rider...throttle control is very forgiving--whenever I give it an accidental blip it isn't any big deal...plus its just such a kick ass looking bike that people love it even if it is "only" a 620.

gnew

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys for the info! i will definately be taking an MSF course. i think i can get a good deal on the '03 in the showroom, but we'll see. this looks to be quite a helpful board, and im glad i found it!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Schnell..I've got a the same bike. Great bike to begin on and keep for awhile!

I know you can lower the seat height. If' you are in the Phoenix area, I've got a local Duc Mech who can do it for you. He did it for a female rider I know.

**BTW..Pato Hombre is a couple inches shorter than you and he "seems" to handle his 620 just fine! ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome. that really makes me feel more confident. of course, I hope to build up my counfidence through courses and lots of practice, as well. Even though I just turned 20, I think I have a lot of level-headedness about me. I'm an avid autocrosser and have messed around with old porsches for years, without incedent.

I'm currently living in Providence, RI. any Ducs out this way?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm actually shorter than you (5'5"), and I asked about this in one of the local sections of this forum. They gave me some good advice. One quick easy way I think would be to lower the bike is to get your seat customized. That way you don't mess with the perf of the bike.

But from a recent experience, I tried my friends Duc, he actually let me ride it finally. Not flat footing is strange but not as big a deal as I thought it would be. I'm a reformed cruiser rider, and my Vstar was sooooo low I thought this might be an issue. But in the end, the only real problem I had was when I got on a hill. That was a b*tch. Hopefully I'll be more than window shopping soon for my monster!

Oh and there is a New England Monster Hooligan section on this board that has some pretty cool guys that post in it.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=NEMHA

Gene

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that looks like something I may decide i could use. thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, you guys make me feel like a giant. ;D

But back to the subject, get the 620. Its what I got and I don't think you'll regreat it. I'm 6' and I am barely fitting the bike... I think if I was one inch taller the bike would be to small, so I figure 5'5'' won't be that bad. There are ways to adjust height, like high heel boots... ;)

Plus I love to see people ride on the tip of their toes. ;D

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts