Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a questions about fuses because I have no clue about electronics. I recently had a 7.5 amp fuse blow for my starter. Is this a common problem or just a fluke issue? I was wondering if it would be bad to put a 10 amp fuse in its place. If I do this an I going to run the risk of blowing your the starter?

Any help here would be great.

Thank you in advance and best regards.

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Never go above the fuse's spec'd rating. If it blows, there is a problem somewhere. Find it. Havng worked in marine electrical fabrication for a few years, I'm amazed at how thin the wiring is on these bikes, both in wire gauge and thin insulation. Not the kind of system to overload a circuit in.

The fuse you refer to is probably for the circuit that links the ignition switch, starter button and starter relay. Follow your wiring throughout the whole bike and look for pinched wires or any of the little rubber boots on connectors that have exposed connecotrs where they can short out. Good luck.

Mark J

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I've gone six years with no blown fuses on my 1997 M900, so it's not normal.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mark j is right on with the suggestion to check the wiring associated with the fuse and his criticism of the minimalist italian approach to electrics. ;D considering the age of the bike those would be good places to start.

loose wiring will easily rub through the insulation possibly causing shorts. had a burr on one of the old frame welds rub through my brake light wire. occasionally the intermittant contact would short out on the frame and blow the fuse.

another thing to check would be a faulty starter relay.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you do work on your bike you could have caused the fuse to blow as well. I blew my 10A fuse while troubleshooting a brake light issue. I replaced it with a 7.5A fuse and its held ever since. Going with a lower rated fuse is the only way never higher. You may not have a problem and then again you may depending on what you have done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts