Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out yesterday my M1200 ‘68 plate cut out.
Fuel suddenly dropped to zero.
Engine light on.
Fuel light flashing.
AA established it was the 20amp fuse.
Replaced it.
Followed by AA van for 5 miles cut out again.
Repeated attempts at new fuses they would blow immediately.
I the started to see side stand warning.

it was extremely hot here in the UK yesterday and I had never felt heat like it on my legs from the engine.

could a wiring lume have melted?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hmmmmmm.....does the bike shut off and go dark?....does it just stop running?....how many miles and year?....who did the most recent maintenance? 20a fuse goes to the fuel system...I think...if that's the case...you've got a short to ground somewhere...should be able to isolate it with a multimeter on continuity

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate it’s a 58 (Sept 2028) plate 5k miles.
The dealer did the last service.
It stops the engine. Dash remains on.
Although in the latter stages of trying the other fuses when attempting a start the screen would go black. It still didn’t start, but throughout it always tries. So you can hear the start attempt. The fuel pump whirring is heard too as normal. The engineer said there was no spark at the spark plug. Weird that it suddenly though up a side stand error towards the end too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sod’s law I am just one month out of warranty! I own three Ducati’s and combined with one of my others having had a fault - under warranty - I am seriously considering getting rid of all three and replacing with a BMW GS. If Ducati don’t offer to fix this issue under warranty having just missed it by one month and having just had a service, always with main dealer, I will probably jump ship. Seems the reputation Ducati’s have is for a reason, gutted :-(

·
Registered
371 Posts
If your going to tackle this one yourself...you first have to identify the short...did this just happen all of a sudden? Did you recently have the tank off prior to the first ocurance? Will the fuse blow if you just leave the key in the on position and engine off? Do you get any error codes? Do the error codes only happen after the fuse blows?...the no spark could have been because the bike was in gear with the stand down...if it happens in neutral the stand switch will also not allow spark...but I think this is all secondary to the short...you need to identify what is faulty...then why/where...so to conclude with the first step...any error codes and when do they pop up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @Buhgaboo
The bike is now with the dealer.
It had a recent (3 weeks ago) service carried out by the dealer.
I was a little miffed at the dealer not being terribly clear what exactly they changed - I asked and it was quite vague.
I had replaced the oil, oil filter and cleaned the gauze filter myself during lockdown so started to pay more interest in what the dealer does in a service.
To compound my frustration when I asked could they service exclude what I had already changed I got a garbled excuse about the fact that they tick it off on the computer and so they couldn’t exclude certain bits! At the time I fell for it but ok reflection I felt I had been duped.
So if they had the tank up (it hinges - I’ve never lifted it) could the dealer have trapped a cable?

The stand was up and it wasn’t in gear.

The fuse blows just with the key turned. The engine won’t start in any case. But just with the ignition turned the fuse blows immediately.

The problem has not occurred before, no other related problems whatsoever.

When it first occurred and the fusewas replaced I rode 5 miles without issue. On reoccurring the problem was more persistent - unrideable/unstartable even with a new fuse (because it will blow immediately).

I don’t know how to get any codes from the bike. Just the engine light comes on. I take it I’d need to plug into it? I don’t have any kit to do that. What can I get for the future to be able to do that?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've got the m821...I'm not terribly clear how to read the codes on the 1200...mine can be found in the sub menu...same place you can set the clock for example....you need to read it before you turn the bike off as it is erased Everytime you turn off the bike...of course the dealer should still be able to read it using their software after the fact...

From the sounds of it...this is the first ride since it was serviced 3 week's ago...and it failing within such a short span is certainly suspicious...I think who or what is at fault is going to be easily assessed by the failure...

And a dealer doing work you already had done is not unprecedented...it is worth asking the dealer before you do anything to find out what you could tackle yourself and be prepared for them to talk you out of it...as well as them being unclear as to what they did...and in my experience the latter usually points to wrongdoing but not implicitly...it's just how dealer networks operate...also the guy taking your money likely had nothing to do with your service so he/she probably has no clue anyway...

a failed part is far easier to find than a failing one...I am curious as to what they find and I hope you could enlighten us to the problem when they tell you too...a bad relay could be the culprit and that would be nobody's fault just shite coincidence...it would also be the cheapest of any failure so fingers crossed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That really helps from a helping me not worry too much thank you again @Buhgaboo cheers. As the AA chap said, my bike has “so many fuses which actually is very sensible because it reduces the number of possibilities of what is at fault, some bikes only have two or three”.

on the servicing, you’d think that because we pay a premium we’d get a premium service - where we’d be given a full breakdown of what’s been carried out, photos of old replaced parts etc etc.

I am accumulating the skills to do stuff I can do myself, but in the end bikes these days are a computer and a lot of aspects about the bike are hidden behind the ECU.

I don’t mind paying, but I can’t stand dishonesty or ambiguous BS.

Having three Ducati’s I could easily justify having all three shipped at the same time to a dealer further away.

I think the lessons for me here are...

1. Is it possible for me to plug into my bike to see what the dealer sees/historical codes etc etc
2. Anyone know of a good dealer in the UK?
3. Are BMW any less dishonest!!! 😂

Thanks again @Buhgaboo appreciate your help, cheers

·
Registered
955 Posts
Honesty is going to come down to the actual dealer involved, not the brand name. A BMW dealer is no more likely to be honest than any other brand. That said, Ducati itself is not known for taking care of Ducati owners in the manner a premium brand should, and I think that attitude trickles down to dealer level. With no guidance from above to provide exceptional service, the dealers are free to do as they wish with no concern of repercussions from the factory. There doesn’t seem to be any desire on behalf of the factory to treat their customers in a manner that promotes brand loyalty. I certainly wasn’t impressed by my Ducati dealer. First they ignored me until I acted like I was ready to purchase a new bike, then they tried to push me to another brand, and another type of bike. I feigned interest in a Monster 1200S, they thought I should buy a BMW touring bike. When I didn’t take their advice, the salesman became disinterested and wandered off. Great dealer experience, wasn’t it ?🤮

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honesty is going to come down to the actual dealer involved, not the brand name. A BMW dealer is no more likely to be honest than any other brand. That said, Ducati itself is not known for taking care of Ducati owners in the manner a premium brand should, and I think that attitude trickles down to dealer level. With no guidance from above to provide exceptional service, the dealers are free to do as they wish with no concern of repercussions from the factory. There doesn’t seem to be any desire on behalf of the factory to treat their customers in a manner that promotes brand loyalty. I certainly wasn’t impressed by my Ducati dealer. First they ignored me until I acted like I was ready to purchase a new bike, then they tried to push me to another brand, and another type of bike. I feigned interest in a Monster 1200S, they thought I should buy a BMW touring bike. When I didn’t take their advice, the salesman became disinterested and wandered off. Great dealer experience, wasn’t it ?🤮
i receive a survey request each time I have my Ducati’s serviced but I don’t submit it because if I told them the truth I don’t think it would result in my level of service increasing some how 😂

·
Registered
34 Posts
i receive a survey request each time I have my Ducati’s serviced but I don’t submit it because if I told them the truth I don’t think it would result in my level of service increasing some how 😂
i felt the same about the dealer i bought my bike from, didn't fill in the survey till i got everything i needed from them. luckily i have a different local dealer that's pretty stand up, and they will be the one i use from now onward.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i need to start a new thread but posts like these are starting to make me worry about my 2019 M1200S i purchased recently. regarding reliability, is this going to be a purchase i regret down the road?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I hope they take care of the work order FU in a speedy way, and do it right this time.
Then go to the other place next time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts