Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this great 70 degree day here in the midatlantic, I took my wife's 620 to put gas in it and generally run around.

I was having a ball and thinking to myself how much fun the bike was. Light. Nimble. Just fun.

And then from a side street 5 custom HDs pull out and end up in the lane next to me. Nice bikes. Lots of $ thrown at them.

All I could think as I pulled away from them quickly but quietly was how badly I wanted to be on the S4RS.

We all waved. Friendly.

But it wasn't the same.

I am so ashamed. I talk all the time of being on the bike that you're happy with even if you're alone and nobody sees you. My wife's bike is a hoot on all the roads I ride regularly. Should be a hoot in traffic and in crowds too... but...well...it felt cute.

Now my bike is more fun on the same roads, but this is the first time I realized honestly how much more fun it is to be on the big mean bike in a group environment when the group is strangers and non-Ducs.

So I took my bike out on some lonely twisties, spun up the rear, lofted the front, and all was right with the world again.

I should have to ride her bike for a month as penance.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
it's ok....

my SO took my 620 out a few weeks ago for gas, he came back and told me how much fun he had on "her". Same as you, he said "she" was light, very responsive, etc...

i totally bust his bubble he was in when i told him my bike is a "him" [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This thread is about you dude, not the bike. I'm the same though, never felt weird on the S2R but I feel pretty proud on the gixxer 750. [laugh]

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
If it's got two wheels, it's cool. My first ride was on a XR75. Everytime I get on two wheels, I still get that thrill... EVERYTIME. You don't have to be the fastest, don't have to have the most expensive. Bikes are just awesome.
A couple of years ago, my wife and I were in Costa Rica, and she wanted to rent scooters. I thought UGHHH. But on two little clapped out scooters, we had a great time. Took me back to being 10 years old again. So now, anything is cool...
But MY Monster... it's the coolest!

Hopefully you all feel the same.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Meh, doesn't matter to me whether I take the Duc or the SV650. But thats probably because I'm so frikken cool. 8) ;D

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
siemonw said:
If it's got two wheels, it's cool. My first ride was on a XR75. Everytime I get on two wheels, I still get that thrill... EVERYTIME. You don't have to be the fastest, don't have to have the most expensive. Bikes are just awesome.
A couple of years ago, my wife and I were in Costa Rica, and she wanted to rent scooters. I thought UGHHH. But on two little clapped out scooters, we had a great time. Took me back to being 10 years old again. So now, anything is cool...
But MY Monster... it's the coolest!

Hopefully you all feel the same.
+1 [thumbsup]

B

·
0 Posts
Statler said:
I am so ashamed. I talk all the time of being on the bike that you're happy with even if you're alone and nobody sees you.
There's nothing to be ashamed of unless you're riding a 620 AND have a small penis.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Statler said:
this is the first time I realized honestly how much more fun it is to be on the big mean bike in a group environment when the group is strangers and non-Ducs.
Stat, IME, when the group is "strangers and non-Ducs" (particularly HD’s), they wouldn't know the difference between your "big mean bike" and your wife’s “cute” 620.

You should have just lofted the front of the 620 and made yourself feel better right then and there . . .

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
pkm said:
Stat, IME, when the group is "strangers and non-Ducs" (particularly HD’s), they wouldn't know the difference between your "big mean bike" and your wife’s “cute” 620.
I was going to say the same thing.

·
0 Posts
Lots of riders on those cute 'lil bikes can spank me in the corners. It's all good.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I am like that with stock exhaust. Whether sitting at a light or riding by a bike with louder pipes, I felt inadequate with my quiet exhaust. :-[

Now that I have a DP header breathing through FBF cans, my thingy grew 8 inches. :p

Straight piped Harleys are still louder but mine sounds better and looks better but with my giant thingy, I am secure in my manhood. [laugh]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I started this thread as light-hearted, self deprecating humor. Glad it's stayed that way so far. Cheers, guys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can entirely relate to this!

I love how nimble my GF's 620 is when I gas it up or take it to work. I come back home with a childish grin on my face everytime I ride it. That being said, I love the 749's power!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Statler said:
I am so ashamed. I talk all the time of being on the bike that you're happy with even if you're alone and nobody sees you. My wife's bike is a hoot on all the roads I ride regularly. Should be a hoot in traffic and in crowds too... but...well...it felt cute.

I should have to ride her bike for a month as penance.
You're a man. You have testosterone. You have an irrational lust for speed. You physically assault your female companion for no real reason every time you get her permission. Of course you felt ashamed for being caught on a girl's bike when you have an S4rs chillin' in the garage!!!! ;D It's like being caught at a drag strip in your kid's Powerwheel!

But now you say you are ashamed for feeling ashamed? Here are your options:

a) have a sex change
b) move to a communist egalitarian state where everyone has the same stuff
c) take your bike thru some twisties then crack open a cold one and have a chuckle at your sometimes comical male impulses

Glad to see you chose wisely.

BTW be careful. I don't know if your wife is the alfa female type, but if she is don't let her see you in that pathetic state. Her instincts will instruct her to kill such a vulnerable creature. [laugh]

·
Registered
498 Posts
mylexicon said:
BTW be careful. I don't know if your wife is the alfa female type, but if she is don't let her see you in that pathetic state. Her instincts will instruct her to kill such a vulnerable creature. [laugh]
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] Yep Chris. Better watch out Gwendy WILL get ya for sure! [cheeky] [clap] [clap] [clap]

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Small bikes are great fun, but nothing puts a smile on my face like huge amounts of low end grunt or a rush of ballistic top end. Oh well, guess I'll just HAVE to stick to big bikes.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I was having so much fun yesterday and today that I forgot to think what anyone else was thinking... [thumbsup]

But having another Duck in the stable would be nice!

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I honestly never thought that way. I was riding my old M620 around right before I sold it after I got my new M1000S. All I could think of is how much I would miss my old bike after I sold it. LOL :'(
I think I also felt safer & more daring with the old bike because I knew it was so much cheaper than the new one. The irony of having a bigger more powerful bike is that I end up being much more timid on it because it costs so much more than the old one.
:-\ I'm totally worried about any little nick or scratch on this one.
:p

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts