Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I was riding along this morning when I start hearing this noise. It sounds just like a small rock bouncing off of your helmet. PING! PLINK! I could hear it over my pipes and wind noise. It happens randomly, but consistantly. I can't tell where it is coming from. I have a bad feeling.

Any ideas? For the record My bike is a '01 750.

Thanks.

:angel: duc

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You can pull your belt covers off, see if there's anything in there that's getting kicked around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speeddog said:
You can pull your belt covers off, see if there's anything in there that's getting kicked around.

What are these "belt covers" you speak of? ;D

Seriously, I took them off over a year ago. Any other ideas? Prefferably ones that don't involve expensive engine parts.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Hmm...so you've already taken the belt covers off to look around. [laugh]

Do you hear the noise when the engine is running and the bike is stationary?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I occasionally hear noises like that, and it's road gravel that gets kicked up into one of my (CF) fenders.
I fully expect you to respond that you don't have fenders either....

Could still be road gravel.

Was it doing it everywhere when the bike was rolling?
Dependent on speed at all?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speeddog said:
I occasionally hear noises like that, and it's road gravel that gets kicked up into one of my (CF) fenders.
I fully expect you to respond that you don't have fenders either....

Could still be road gravel.

Was it doing it everywhere when the bike was rolling?
Dependent on speed at all?

Fenders? Not so much. [laugh]

I mainly noticed the noise on the freeway, though I did hear a couple of PINGS in town. The noise was happening way to consistantly to be gravel (though it was still random). I mean it was happening often enough to be really annoying. The rate, sound, noise type and sound level were not affected by speed.

Also, I made sure that all of the baseball cards were removed from my spokes.

Could this be a chain issue? As in, the chain slapping against something due to looseness perhaps?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
It could be the chain hitting against the the exhaust pipe.
It would leave some visible evidence of that.

Also check for any unrestrained wires or cables or hoses that the wind is whipping around.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Could be engine 'pink' (or detonation - which is obviously bad). Pull your plugs and post pics for the experts to comment on. I would eliminate this before riding again.

·
Banned
897 Posts
It's the d-ring belt buckle from your way too cool button up and belt 3/4 length brown calfskin leather jacket, dangling in the wind and occasionally hitting your frame/exhaust/whatever.

I know, I'm no help, but it was really the first thing I though of. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chain is adjusted properly and not hitting the pipes.

Spark plugs are a dark brown and dry, so no problem there.

And I just rode her for an hour and didn't hear that plink noise once. WTF?

The weather was pretty damn cold this morning. Could that have affected anything?

I hope so because its either that or Ddan is right. :-\ Bastard.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Adjust, clean and lubricate your chain then see if it is still happening. It may not be hitting the exhaust but it could be slapping.

·
Registered
387 Posts
howley said:
Adjust, clean and lubricate your chain then see if it is still happening. It may not be hitting the exhaust but it could be slapping.
+1 Anytime my bikes start making weird noises I usually clean and lube the chain and it goes away.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
SaintDuc said:
Chain is adjusted properly and not hitting the pipes.

Spark plugs are a dark brown and dry, so no problem there.

And I just rode her for an hour and didn't hear that plink noise once. WTF?

The weather was pretty damn cold this morning. Could that have affected anything?

I hope so because its either that or Ddan is right. :-\ Bastard.

I know of a bike that was making a sound like you are talking about. It turned out in his case that the rear sprocket was almost completely worn out. The chain was jumping teeth on the sprocket. But since you didn't hear it on your last ride, I don't know if this could be your problem. How many miles you have on the chain and your rear sprocket?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jobu said:
I know of a bike that was making a sound like you are talking about. It turned out in his case that the rear sprocket was almost completely worn out. The chain was jumping teeth on the sprocket. But since you didn't hear it on your last ride, I don't know if this could be your problem. How many miles you have on the chain and your rear sprocket?
Both the chain and the sprockets have 9k on them and are great shape (because I ride like a pansy :-[ ). I haven't heard the noise since, so I'm not going to think about it anymore (until I'm flying through the air after my 80mph high side).

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
I wish you the best, and no high-sides Saint

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A.Duc.H.Duc. said:
I wish you the best, and no high-sides Saint

Tanks mang! [thumbsup]

I will be give her a thorough once over this weekend. Change the oil, check the chain and belts and bolts and all that good stuff. I'm confident the bike is mechanically sound, otherwise I wouldn't ride it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.