Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,
I have an '06 s2r 800. I was speaking to a local dealership who told me that puting a full system on a 800 would be a waste and that a full system is only beneficial on the bigger monsters. Is this true? I hope not because i planned on purchasing a full system soon (mostly for sound and looks). But if i am going to be paying all that money I want a performance increase too. Is there anyone out there who has a full system on the 800 who can speak on this?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
There's some really good info on what is possible with a full system and proper tune-up on an S2R 800 here:

http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/

Look at articles 72 to 74.

Stock is about 73 HP, and the fully tuned version with Arrow full system, DP air filter kit, revised cam timing, and U59 ECU gave about 79 HP.

It's not a cheap upgrade, but gaining 6 HP (8% increase) is impressive.

The U59 ECU isn't mandatory, but you would need a PCIII or the like to enable getting the fuel mixture correct.

Being an '06, there's an issue because AFAIK, there's no PCIII for it yet.
There's few tuners in the US that can set up the U59, but I think you could get ahold of Brad's map, and that would be very close.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
uclabiker66 said:
Okay, what is a U59?
the model number of the FIM/Ultimap ECU to replace the stocker... like a powercommander on steroids.

uclabiker66 said:
Who is Brad
the guy that mans the moto-one.com.au site you were linked to

uclabiker66 said:
and what is so special about his map???
it would potentially work on your bike. (brad REALLY knows what he's doing as far as mapping fuel systems... from scratch even.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Speeddog said:
There's some really good info on what is possible with a full system and proper tune-up on an S2R 800 here:

http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/

Look at articles 72 to 74.

Stock is about 73 HP, and the fully tuned version with Arrow full system, DP air filter kit, revised cam timing, and U59 ECU gave about 79 HP.

It's not a cheap upgrade, but gaining 6 HP (8% increase) is impressive.

The U59 ECU isn't mandatory, but you would need a PCIII or the like to enable getting the fuel mixture correct.

Being an '06, there's an issue because AFAIK, there's no PCIII for it yet.
There's few tuners in the US that can set up the U59, but I think you could get ahold of Brad's map, and that would be very close.
LOL, 6HP for about $2000+ dollars? what a shameless waste

listen to the dealer, just put slips on for looks and sounds and dont waste the money

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I think that's right. You'll only get a few extra hp. But hey, we do it for the sound and looks don't we, and that's where a full system delivers. My cat was gone within the first few days of purchase and now I have some lovely fat Zard pipes.

Plenty of great systems out there, Arrows, Termignoni.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
tomq said:
LOL, 6HP for about $2000+ dollars? what a shameless waste

listen to the dealer, just put slips on for looks and sounds and dont waste the money
How much do you spend for HP gains

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn't help myself. Just purchased the c/f Zard's from Anthony at Motoworks! I also ordered a pipercross air filter from him. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
tomq said:
4K+install for 100HPs on my turbocharged busa >:D
100 hp increase? Iono... No offense intended but that just sounds stupid to me... If we were talking about a car it wouldn't but since we're talking bikes that sounds like so much overkill. To each his own. ::)

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I would have been happy with slip-ons. I just wanted the sound but Ducati had to fit that hideous bladder/udder/ball sack/pre-muffler/catalytic converter atrocity so I had to switch the header too. I went with DP but I don't recommend others get the DP header because is blocks the oil drain plug.

Other than the drain plug issue I am just fine with my header.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Full system

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
My dealer says the opposite. I want a termi carbon system and the slipons new are almost a grand where the fulls system is a couple hundred more. They say the full system is the way to go, but I don't see throwing that much money for a look and sound as worth it (i don't really care about he hp gains i could get). Plus slipons I could probably do myself or with some help, but the full system i would have to get installed by someone, so that is extra expense also.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
To me I'd rather do the full system for a few hundred more rather than agonize over it later thinking "it was only a few hundred more for a better system".

But I admit that I hate doing something that's not the "best". I made compromises before with things and ended up a little frustrated. :-\ On the other hand, a buddy that bikes is all about the budget and reasonable compromises. Sometimes I wish I could settle like that. [shrug]

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Go with the full system (Do it right or not at all)

Also, to get the most out of it add the PCIII with a custom map & depending on what your elevation is, open up the airbox.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well yeah i actually ordered a pipercross reusable air filter w/ my Zard's and so i plan on cutting the air filter box open. But what does that have to do w/ elevation? Also will cutting open the air box actually give me an increase in power? (I was just going to do it for the sound) If so how much power?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts