Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case you ever had any doubts about the merits of a full-face helmet, this is a picture taken by a friend of ours after a 60 mph tumble down the interstate in a rain storm.

Other than a few bumps and bruises, and some severely destroyed gear, he's one happy camper (the bike, a Honda ST1300, was also destroyed).

Full-face, good... beanie, bad [laugh]

Ride safe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I just forwarded that picture to my sister. She rides a Harley and doesn't wear a full face cuz it doesn't fit with the look of her bike. She's a beautiful woman...and I never want to see her get hurt.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Charlief said:
I just forwarded that picture to my sister. She rides a Harley and doesn't wear a full face cuz it doesn't fit with the look of her bike. She's a beautiful woman...and I never want to see her get hurt.
i have a friend that says the same thing... i'm glad he sold his bike.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yeah, full face is the only way to go.

when my brother crashed at 60+ mph, from what we can tell, he went head first, then slid about 50yds passed out (belly side down)... His visor was totally scratched, couldn't even open it anymore.
He still had bleeding in his brain.

A good full-face helmet is priceless, much like good fitting leather jacket and pants.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Charlief said:
my buddy rode a harley with a squid lid. he had a relatively slow-speed wreck (35 mph) around town about 5 years ago when a car rolled through an intersection. he was a good lookin' fella before. now, not so much.

i wonder what a cool harley full-face helmet would look like. something that harley riders would actually wear???

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
family friend, life long rider, went down one day and died of lethal face grindage. that's enough for me. I'm too pretty to wear a tiny lid!

hoo! ha! do the monkey with me!

Attachments

G

·
Pop Quiz:

Given this chart showing the odds of an impact occurring on a section of a helmet, which part of a helmet would you consider to be the most valuable in a crash?

If this doesn't convince folks to wear a full face, I don't know what would (well, other than grotesque "after" pictures from accidents. But let's not go there, mmm'kay?)

·
Registered
31 Posts
simonster said:
i wonder what a cool harley full-face helmet would look like. something that harley riders would actually wear???
It can't be done. The whole point is that it looks cooler to ride without any safety gear at all, nothing to do with styling. I have to admit it looks cooler, but I wouldn't be caught dead without a full-face helmet. I have gotten into the bad habit of riding in a sweatshirt/t-shirt when getting groceries though. My monster is my only vehicle. Still an awful idea though.

I won't put on protective pants to go to school every day though...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Full face for me, & I personally would not even use a flip up, & I wear glasses (a flip up would be convient).

A surgeon I know has seen flip up failures, both from failing hinges & from the catch getting caught in the crash & released.

I see quite a few HD riders in LA here commuting with full face. I think the more serious HD riders are more accepting of them.

Now lets talk tennis shoes v. boots.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The chin is definitely my worry... You trip and fall, what's the first thing that hits the pavement? Your chin. I almost rashed mine when I lowsided on a bicycle, I wouldn't want it to happen on a real bike.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Full face or beanie? I urge you not to google the subject too thoroughly, pretty disgusting. I don't care what you ride "cool" looks vs. safety is not even a valid discussion. Man, there is some seriously "cool" looking safety gear out there... Dainesse is my favorite.

rich

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
"Yeah, but your visibility is soooo much better when you're not trapped inside a full-face helmet. Visibility is key to avoiding crashes." ::) I can't believe people fall for arguments like that one. BTW, I'll take a quality full face helmet over meeting somebody elses definition of "cool" anytime. I remember riding down a highway in Arizona years ago and having an 18-wheeler throw a rock up at me. It hit me square in the face shield. The impact was so hard it bent me backward quite a ways. Left a serious nick in the face shield, forcing me to replace it. If I'd been rolling along with a beanie, I'd have been blasted right off the back of the bike for sure.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I was wearing a fullface helmet a few years ago and had an accident, broke my nose, five teeth, bit through my tongue. I landed impaled with a piece of fence up inside of my helmet chocking me, it didnt Im still here and Im still pretty (relatively speaking) full face gets my vote. I used to wear helmets before the law required them,never needed a helmet except that one time, nuff said. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
A friend of mine got a Harley Road King Classic last year when he got back from Iraq, & he was planning on getting the standard Harley beenie until I told him that 40% of all impacts on the helmet are to the face area. He got a full face helmet instead, he said "I'm ugly enough as it is, I don't need to make it any worse." [cheeky] [thumbsup]

G

·
Hmmm, maybe the key is to build an open-top, but with frontal protection helmet?

Someone with some mad photoshop skillz want to mock this up?

Then again never mind, it'd probably end up looking like this:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hmm... I didn't think the beanies were to "look cool". Hell, those are the dumbest, dorkiest looking things I have ever seen. I figured those were more for the "wind in your face" sensation than anything. The ignorant mentality of some of these harley riders just floors me sometimes - I mean they try to justify the loud pipes because it "saves lives", but then don't want to wear any head gear..

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
if you think you don't need a full face helmet, with both feet together on the ground & hands at your sides, fall forward without preventing the fall with your arms/hands. now factor in any bike scenario. when i want to look bad, i have a sheet of fake scars i wear that i bought at a novelty shop.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I got a full face helmet when I got my Harley 6 years ago and a friend of my neighbour told me it was dumb and he'd never have one. "I control the machine man, not the other way around," is what he said. I asked how much control he had over animals and other idiot drivers and he just gave me the whole, "If it's gonna happen then it's my time" speach and yadda yadda yadda.

I still have never worn anything other than a full face helmet. I'm still not sure why they allow the beanie helmets to be legal head protection other than to placate the HD lobby when States do enact helmet laws. Even the open face helmets aren't all that great. I had a co-worker that hit a car broadside at 30MPH when the driver turned left in front of him. He required a lot of surgery and was laid up a long time. I'll stick with my dorky looking full helmet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts