Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a new S2RK in a few weeks and wanted to put in a full exhaust system as soon as...
Wanted to keep it a pasta machine as much as possible so choosing between a full Termi or Arrow system.
Who's got what and which do you think is better?
Have either helped out with any of the surging problems et al. that I've been reading about?
Any input you've got would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just installed a full termi system on my s2r1k and i love it. It runs better now than it did stock, no surging. The sound is amazing, like a totally different bike now. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought an '07 S4RS with a full Arrow system. Unfortunately, I had it installed before I picked it up, so I can't provide a comparison. I can say the Arrow is killer. A bit on the loud side, but makes music in the upper RPM range. An interesting side note, the full titanium Arrow system is offered with baffles. The full carbon system is not. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have a carbon full Arrow system on my S2R1000, and a carbon full Termignoni system on my S4Rs.

I am very happy with both systems, but there are some differences.

The Arrow system appears to be built better. It fits together on the bike like Ducati built it on there in the first place. It is however, pretty loud (no baffle inserts available--though I hear people are putting them in from the Ti systems). Sounds great, but I'm a bit self-conscious when riding it--always expecting dirty looks from people around me. It isn't as obnoxious as most open-piped American twins, though. With the PC3 it picked up almost 10 full horsepower from stock.

The Termignoni (kit) on the S4Rs sounds much more acceptable to me (this is with the removable baffle inserts in place). It gives that throaty Ducati sound we all want to hear, but not to the point that I feel guilty riding it. It does not appear to have the same level of fit and finish as the Arrow system, though. I'm still working on tweaking it (hasn't been on but a couple of days) to get everything to line up properly--but I didn't have to do that with the Arrow. I do love the look of the "spaghetti" headers on the Termi's, but the welds and the fit aren't as good as the Arrow.

For your S2R1000, I'd recommend the Arrow--IF you don't mind the noise. If you are concerned with being a responsible neighbor, get the Termignoni. You won't be disappointed either way! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I have the full Arrow on my 1000, really nice pipe. I dont really think its too loud, just sounds great overall. Thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you go with DP termi system you will get a tunable ECU, and eliminate the O2 sensor. Sounds great too. While the Arrow looks great, you won't be able to adjust the CO and A/F to get optimal performance with stock ecu. If you simply disconnect the O2 you will resort to a default/limp home setting. Go with termis and get your bike dynoed and set up. Mine is making 87 hp and 67 ft*lbs of torque now, and no surging issues.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Full arrow on mine. They sound great. The build quality is superb. The only issue is they may cause a lean condition but this can be sorted out. Opening the airbox will most likely require a PCIII which is not out yet.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Arrows all the way - fit and quality is superb. Sounds awesome.
The carbons are loud, the titanium ones come with a removable baffle.

I tried the Termi's first - fitment PITA pipe also covers the oil drain plug so every time you do an oil change the pipe must come off. When you hand over $2k for an exhaust it should fit without mods.

BTW The Arrows come with a brass plug to close the O2 sensor hole.
Remove the O2 sensor & disconnect the battery for about 3mins and then re-connect, it will take care of the surging.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ive been on a couple rides behind people who have both sets you speak of. After this past weekend behind an S2R with Arrows I fell in love. Its the first exhaust on a Duc that I felt in my chest and was like an orhestra I could listen to for hours. Sure the other exhausts sound good, the Arrows pierced my soul. Too bad for me it wont sound like that on my 695, but alas, I will just follow a bit closer to those that have them.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Slash: you said: "Mine is making 87 hp and 67 ft*lbs of torque now"

Do you have the 800 or the 1000? I thought the S2R 1000 was 95 hp stock. I would think that either pipe would add 7-8 hp to that...

Or are you talking at the wheel?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
A couple of questions to all that have chimed in on this thread about replacement pipes that solve S2R 1000 "surging."

I have a deposit on a 2007 S2R 1000 and want to know if I need to go straight to a Termi or Arrow exhaust when I pick it up in order to avoid what sounds like a common problem. 

Questions:
1) Did everyone experience the surging pre-pipe replacement or just some of you?
2) Does anyone have surging post-pipe replacement?
3) Do the 2007 S2R's suffer the same problem as 2006?

Thanks for relating your experience!

BTW - I like the look and sound of the Termi's - I took an S2Rs Testastretta with a full Termi set up for a 1/2 hour spin - sounded great - wow did that bike ever have some jump!!  Too much for my tastes, hence the S2R 1000 decision.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I'm running the Arrows on my 06 S2R & I have no surging. Never did. Bike was great stock, great with Spark headers & stock cans, & great with the Spark with Arrow cans. ECU & airbox are stock & I have 4,000 miles. Guess I got one that was built on Wednesday ;)

Hope I didn't jinx myself [laugh]

·
Registered
474 Posts
The full Arrows system seems to be the weapon of choice down here in OZ for the S2R & S4R's.

look and sound absolutely amazing [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
i have an '05 S2R with spareshack II header & strati cored stock cans. i'm thinking of the arrow cf full system. is the header that comes with the arrow full system larger diameter than the stock header? the spareshack is the same dia. as stock.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I personally like the looks of the Arrow full system more, but prefer the Termignoni's sound. The Arrow system fits better straight out of the box, but if you are patient the Termignoni will go on as well. You can't really go wrong with either as they are both great systems.

I can get you either system so feel free to contact me if you need any help [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
My '06 S2R 1000 didn't surge before I mounted the full Arrow system, and doesn't surge now with the full carbon Arrow system with the PC-III.

Stock: 79 bhp and 59 ft-lbs torque (rear wheel)
After Pipe: 88 bhp and 66 ft-lbs torque (rear wheel)

The Arrow header does taper to a larger diameter than the stock header. You can see the taper about 6 inches back from the exhaust ports.

By the way, this set up is with the Lambda sensor removed. The ECU resorts to a 50% duty cycle in this state, making tuning much easier for the technician by maintaining a constant base.

The Arrow exhaust completely removes any foot obstruction on the starboard side. My Termignoni system on the S4Rs still causes some foot position restriction--not nearly as bad as the stock header, though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the full arrow system on my s2r 1000, the build quality is great and the sound is the deepest ive heard, sounds great. That being said its a bit too loud for my tastes and i've found it to be fatigueing on longer rides. Im considering selling the system, but it looks great.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have been holding back on this one because I may be a little jaded on this. But my message is pretty clear. Certainly the Termi full exhaust system I received was really bad workmanship, and once installed, I had poor, very poor, dealer assistance to resolve the problems. I essentially had to toss them in the corner and I replaced the exhaust system with a Desmoworld/Sparks set up.

The most significant problems with the Termis were
1. Poor alignment that required significant work to even get the rear can to sit somewhat close to each other.
2. The midpipe was designed to require you to disassemble the entire exhaust system every time to do an oil change.
3. The pipes were not properly formed in the jigs such that they looked bent and put too much pressure on the head.
4. The welds in more then one location were done with incompetence.

The one Pro was the DP ECU. It seems to work fine.

Here are two pictures of poor Termi quality.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts