Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the saga continues...

05 620ie, 3k and change miles, arrows/chopped box/bmc/PCIII w/dyno-tuned map.

sept. she started running kinda rough, idle would start getting choppy, sounding like misfires, then would get rougher like it wanted to stall. couple of times I got a mad loss of power in the lower revs, like I was getting on a few gears too high.
the dealer checked:
valve alignment
cams/belts
TPS and synched TBs
fuel trim
scanned ECU and found no fault codes or the like.

the service guy suggested I try a new map, which seems unnecessary because it's a custom map (yes, done after all my mods)

tried running the bike w/a zero map, the canned map I bought it w/, and no PCIII, still had the same problem.

reloaded custom map, new NGKs and some fresh gas, and it idles better. still sounds like a slight miss, but not really jumpy. however, it's popping like a mofo when I close or have partial throttle, and holding the throttle steady the revs will surge(?). the tach will start slowly waving up and down under constant throttle, but not all the time.

pulled the plugs and the arm(?) of the contact is already white (ran about 15 minutes after warm-up) so it appears I'm running lean again? how's that possible?

anything else I can try?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
pulled the plugs and the arm(?) of the contact is already white (ran about 15 minutes after warm-up) so it appears I'm running lean again? how's that possible?

Vacuum leak is a possible cause.
spray some starting fluid at all hose connections going to the intakes. If you spray on a vacuum leak you'll hear an engine note change.

An exhaust leak can cause the popping sound.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so if vacuum leak is a possible cause, I think I may have found a likely suspect... the bolts I used to seal the intake after my emissions removal are loose.... looks like I'm off to the store to find s'more silicon

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
teddy037 said:
ok, so if vacuum leak is a possible cause, I think I may have found a likely suspect... the bolts I used to seal the intake after my emissions removal are loose.... looks like I'm off to the store to find s'more silicon
You might want to consider a gasket. That will make future TB synchs a little easier.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Teddy --

I'd recommend aluminum or copper crush washers to seal the bolts. If this keeps up we'll get the vacuum gauges on it to check the throttle sync and we'll check the fuel pressure. I don't know if you can get to the filter inside the gas tank to check for kinks or splits in the hoses but that's worth a try too.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
brad black said:
fuel filter?
I told him a week ago to try that, and at least check for leaks in the hoses. I think he's scared to take the cap holder out.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I think it's available time more than anything else. The guy works like a fiend.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Mac900 said:
I think it's available time more than anything else. The guy works like a fiend.
Just giving T-dogg a hard time. ;D.
It's only a 20 minute job though.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Im gonna have to lean toward split fuel line or filter. Ive seen so many of these lately

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, I fig a crush washer would be better than trying to smear RTV on that blasted small bolt... I ought to just make a few tomorrow at work... ::) [thumbsup]

fuel filter will be this weekend's job. or thursday, if I CIS >:D the shack's christmas party is tomorrow night (happy hour 'til 8!) so I may not feel like working the next day...
and thanks for the smartass comment, dp ;D

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
teddy037 said:
yeah, I fig a crush washer would be better than trying to smear RTV on that blasted small bolt... I ought to just make a few tomorrow at work... ::) [thumbsup]

fuel filter will be this weekend's job. or thursday, if I CIS >:D the shack's christmas party is tomorrow night (happy hour 'til 8!) so I may not feel like working the next day...
and thanks for the smartass comment, dp ;D
Doesn't need to be too fancy. A fiber or nylon washer with just a tiny bit of blue loctite would do the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what about teflon tape? I know it's not a taper thd, but would that seal it good enough? the air can't possibly be that high pressure coming through the intake, right?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
teddy037 said:
what about teflon tape? I know it's not a taper thd, but would that seal it good enough? the air can't possibly be that high pressure coming through the intake, right?
I don't think it will work because there isn't enough room for the tape in the threads. You should be able to find what you need at the local hardware store or Home Depot.

There is no pressure at all. It is vacuum.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hello... where's the slap myself in the head smiley?

for a machinist, I'm pretty stupid sometimes ;D

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
teddy037 said:

Just say after me........................DOH!. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Any Checkers or NAPA store should have the crush washers.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[thumbsup]

sounds like a plan then.

not the threadjack my own thread, but ranilo wants to ride, he's been jonesin'... I'm off of work from sat and all next week if you guys wanna do a little run or something

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
teddy037 said:

All honest smart people admit to brain fade(farts) at times , only real assholes are perfect. Thats why the world is so screwed up.

jerry

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, so no crush washers to be found.

from the hardware store, I have picked up:
nylon
mylar
and 'fiber' (I'm assuming a gasket-like mat'l) washers

any ideas on which might work best? or should I just go and make some damn crush washers at work? mind, it's a 5mm bolt, so I can't imagine getting all that much torque on it...

and thx, jerry, that's the nicest thing I've heard all day :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts