Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Fuel

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Norm 
#1 ·
Hi all. Was wondering about octane recommendations in manual. It says to use 95 or above. Are the US bikes tuned to use 93 or 94 octane? I only know on gas station in the area that has over 95 octane.

Hope this isn't a repeat question...but didn't see anything in FAQs or in here.

Thanks,
Joe

#2 ·
yikes.................. ;D

#5 ·
no shite? my normal routine with my xt was to use high octane in summer....stop pinging. then go to low/mid octane in winter so bike would start (kickstart-600 cc...single not easy...lol).

never had a bike with fuel injection and a computer so was just curious. the manual really says 95 though...lol.

thanks dude!

#7 ·
This has been covered extensively on this board before, and discussed by folks more knowlegable than I. You may want to do a search.

Basically the octane unit used in the manual is not the same one shown on U.S. gas pumps. One's RON or MON or AKI or something.... whatever. Most folks seem to run 87 w/o trouble.

Jeff

#8 ·
I was told by a reliable source to run the lowest octane without pinging, any more is a waste of money, and a higher octane has been reported to foul plugs on Monsters, I was running 92 octane until I read about the plug fouling situation, and switched to 87 with no problems.

#9 ·
I've been running 87 since about May and have had no pinging or any other noticible affects. As a matter of fact my gas mileage has improved. I'm not sure this is due to the different gas or the 6K service though.

#10 ·
The stock Monster motor (i.e., never opened up) is happiest on the 87 octane regular that is also the least expensive. You only need to find higher octane if you put in high compression pistons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.