Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my S4 from my mechanic, (in for 6000 mile maintenance), and I found out the hard way that the fuel warning light isn't functioning. I have the right mind to lay into my mechanic as I had to schlep her to the nearest watering hole but I realize I have to rise above this and take matters into my own hands. I owe it to myself and to Mona, (my S4), to understand all of her mechanical aspects

·
Registered
849 Posts
Mine isn't working either, and I found out the same way. I'd check the bulb first, but several people have told me that the sensor inside the tank has a history of going out.

-R.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that light's a fashion statement at best. i guage how much go-juice i've got left by using the trip meter. i go 100 miles and fill up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went out to start my bike a couple of days ago, and the fuel pump would not start up. I thought I had a dead pump, or at least a stuck and gummed up pump. I had this symptom once before awhile ago, and at the same time noticed I lost my low fuel warning light. I dismissed the fuel pump issue at the time, since the bike, and the pump mysteriously started up again, after lifting the tank and fiddling with the fuel hoses.
So trying to troubleshoot the dead pump yesterday, I followed the wires from the tank to the wireclip and noticed one wire in the clip has a yellow plastic accordion sleeve and that it was pulled out of the wire clip, thus pulling the pin connector out of the clip and eliminating any connection

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i don't know the colors of the wires on your bike, but the owner's manual has a wiring diagram in the back. lift the tank and you will find a connector that conains the wires for the fuel pump and low fuel sending unit. locate the two wires for the sending unit. first. make sure you have a good connection. if you are lucky, problem fixed. jump the two wires. if the low fuel light lights, it's the $ending unit.

do follow Strati's advice in the future. i consider the light a back up system.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I dont use the warning light found out from first hand expierence on my 750SS, so before I ride I open the fuel cap while I straddle the bike give it a little shake if I dont see any fuel splashing around I go fill her up!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts