Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if this is a repost but I wanted to ask who has experiance with fuel treatment aka stabil. for those who dont know stabil is a treatment that supposedly keeps fuel from gumming up during the winter storage period.

My question is this, I have heard that the new fuel with all the additives that stabil is no longer neccessary, is this true?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
All the "new" fuel I'm familiar with requires it more than ever. It turns to a grainy nasty mess especially in small quantities (float bowls). I'd use the Stabil.

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
Personal preference(and I am VERY biased towards the product) is to throw some SeaFoam in the tank before storage. But then I am biased.

Sta-Bil is a good product but has a very narrow focus on what it is actually used for. While Sea Foam has several uses and the rest of the can won't just sit on the shelf until next season.

Ryan

·
Registered
173 Posts
I worked in a bike shop that sold several Japanese brands and all of the bikes in the showroom had Sta-Bil in 'em. It works. It will harm nothing, and it helps a lot.

Best for winter storage is to put some Sta-Bil in there. Top up the tank to mix it around. Then run the bike so that it gets all up in the carbs. At this point, you can shut off the fuel and drain the fuel from the carb bowls or just leave it.

It works.

·
Registered
322 Posts
ZLTFUL said:
Personal preference(and I am VERY biased towards the product) is to throw some SeaFoam in the tank before storage. But then I am biased.

Sta-Bil is a good product but has a very narrow focus on what it is actually used for. While Sea Foam has several uses and the rest of the can won't just sit on the shelf until next season.

Ryan
you sound like my dad. 'dad, my engine is running a little rough.' SEAFOAM! 'dad, my transmission is slipping a bit.' SEAFOAM! 'dad, my stomach aches.' SEAFOAM!

;D

that is pretty good stuff. so good in fact that i am afraid to use it on anything a bit too old. when i was actually wrenching for nissan we had a 1995 maxima come in with a transmission slip going into second gear. our master tech said to put some 'seafoam trans tune' in it and see if it does anything. so i flush the transmission and add the seafoam and around the block i go. and much to my surprise it did do the trick. IT TOOK SECOND GEAR RIGHT OUT OF THE EQUATION!!! luckily for us we warned the owner this may not fix and may actually worsen his transmission condition.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Stabil is 95% gasoline type hydrocarbons and 5% t Buty Catechol.
The tbc is a free radical sink that stops polymerization type reactions between the unsaturated compenents of the fuel.
I use it in everything I store over the winter.
It works and a full gas tank won't rust.
Yes, I have a degree in chemistry ;D ;D

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Interesting that my son just called me last night with a question about using Stabil in his DR-Z400S. I told him to start adding it regularly when he fills the bike up and when he finally stops riding it, everything will already be just as it needs to be. He can still pull the bike out on any nice days, but if Northern Utah gets buried under a blizzard for a few months, no problems with not touching the bike.

I should probably send him a Battery Tender for Christmas so that he can do the one other thing necessary for storing a bike during the winter.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Can you still ride the bike for long distances if you have a full tank of Stabil?

We get erratic winters around here and I'd still like to take the bike out for a ride on those occasional warm days during the winter months.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Dynamic213 said:
Can you still ride the bike for long distances if you have a full tank of Stabil?
It shouldn't be an issue.

·
Banned
33 Posts
I encourage any winter preventative. I recently had to re-build my carburetors due to a long storage, (neglect). I had a friend help me with the carbs, lots of cleaning. The downside was the tank rusted really bad. Lots of pieces. I bought two gallons of EVAPORUST Remover. That stuff worked great. The tank looks brand new. The carbs are clean. I think it runs better now than before. Th stuff was 16.50 a gallon, but well worth it. Also, due to neglect, I bought a battery. Since we just got our winter weather, I will be storing the bike properly, and hooked up to my battery tender. The Spring can't come soon enough. Scott...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pull the plugs and spray in a bit of fogging oil when you put things in winter storage.
This, along with a full tank of stabilized gas and the battery in a warm, dry place will get you through the winter.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Any tips for storing the bike outdoors? I have no access to a garage and too cheap to rent a storage unit.

Right now the bike is just sitting out in my parking lot. She has a bike cover, sitting on pitbull rear stand, hooked to up battery tender, new oil change, and soon to be filled with Stabil.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That will be just fine.
If it has polished rims you might want to put a coat of wax on them.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Thank God for life in the deep South! We get to ride em in the winter ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.