899 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Irene, I don't know whether you are aware or not. It is well known at another Monster forum that one may simply drain the fuel tank completely, remove it from the bike, open the filler and remove the fuel pump, and allow to dry for a few months (or over the winter). The tank should return to original size & shape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Irene, I don't know whether you are aware or not. It is well known at another Monster forum that one may simply drain the fuel tank completely, remove it from the bike, open the filler and remove the fuel pump, and allow to dry for a few months (or over the winter). The tank should return to original size & shape.
wow! Thank you! Did not know that! I will give it a try!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's caused by ethanol in the fuel absorbing moisture from the air, and then somehow it has deforming effects on the tank. I always thought it was more of a US problem though. I'm not sure how much ethanol exists in Swedish fuel. You can coat the inside of the tank with a special resin called Caswell's which I have done which should prevent it from swelling again. Still, I don't think there is any ethanol in Swedish fuel but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's caused by ethanol in the fuel absorbing moisture from the air, and then somehow it has deforming effects on the tank. I always thought it was more of a US problem though. I'm not sure how much ethanol exists in Swedish fuel. You can coat the inside of the tank with a special resin called Caswell's which I have done which should prevent it from swelling again. Still, I don't think there is any ethanol in Swedish fuel but I could be wrong.
Thank you! Yes there is ethanol in our fuel😖

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you! Yes there is ethanol in our fuel😖
I had this issue on mine and contacted Ducati about it. They replaced the tank. The bike was about 8 years out of warranty by that time. I did have to be persistent, but it worked and they replaced the tank.
There was a recall in the USA, so I included that in my communication with Ducati.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had this issue on mine and contacted Ducati about it. They replaced the tank. The bike was about 8 years out of warranty by that time. I did have to be persistent, but it worked and they replaced the tank.
There was a recall in the USA, so I included that in my communication with Ducati.
Congratulations 🥳 I do not think there is any point in trying that variant for me though. Mine is 14 years old

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tank replacement may not happen in this case, owner is in Sweden. Not sure Sweden has the same 15 year emissions warranty laws that compelled Ducati to replace these tanks in the States. Ducati replaced yours 8 years out so I assume Australia may have similar legislation. It has been 14 years now since the last Monster S4RS was made in 2008. It is not realistic to assume that Ducati will replace these tanks ad infinitum for everyone everywhere forever. Irene, just try drying the tank out as I suggested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tank replacement may not happen in this case, owner is in Sweden. Not sure Sweden has the same 15 year emissions warranty mandated by US law that compelled Ducati to replace your tank 8 years out. It has been 14 years now since the last Monster S4RS was made in 2008. It is not realistic to assume that Ducati will replace these tanks ad infinitum for everyone everywhere forever. Irene, just try drying the tank out as I suggested.
Thank you! I agree, and I will try to drying it👍

·
Registered
28 Posts
Every winter I remove my S4RS Tricolore fuel tank, take out the fuel pump and rig a small computer fan, some ducting and a light bulb for heat to flow warm air through the tank for several months. Seems to work well at keeping the tank in original shape.

Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts