Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, fellas (and ladies, of course)..You helped me a ton on the powdercoating real wheel question--they look fantastic all gloss black..
I've got a 900 Monster '99..The fuel tank has developed a small seepage of fuel around the rear mount bracket. It seems that the welds are rusting? on the inside and now allowing a tiny amount of fuel past. It develops a drop on the bottom edge of the tank after about an hour of sitting..Not major, but enough for this perfectionist to fix it..It will peel all the paint if left unchecked..
The question is, have any of you ever lined your tank with a commercial tank liner such as Kreem or something similar? I've used a Kreem kit before with good success and have heard of some sticklers doing this to brand new bikes to avoid rust altogether..Thoughts, please..Thanks again..CZ

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I think Norm uses POR-15 or somethingorother when he fixes a tank...you could PM him and ask.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Kreem is krap (get it?). It may work for you in the short term, but someday, someone is going to REALLY regret it. I use POR-15 with great results. Check to see if your leak is at the hinge or at one of the fittings. If it's at the hinge bracket, POR-15 will probably fix it, but that hinge will get worse & worse as it continues to flex. You should have someone weld or braze the entire area. This can be done without ruining the paint on the topside. If you can't do this, at least apply some epoxy (like JB Weld) to the area.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think there should be a link in the FAQ section, sending all tank questions directly to Norm's PM in-box! ;D

Exactly how many tanks have you repaired, Norm? Gotta be a ton!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Hi there!! I wake up this old post since my gas tank has a very small leakage too. My tank has a very small crack/hole on the lowest point of the gas tank on the right side. It gets just moist and not dripping but i want to get it fixed. My local Harley dealer sells KREEM but since you dont recommend it where can i buy that POR-15 stuff ?? I live in Norway.......if someone can buy it for me and ship it to Norway i would be VERY grateful!!! All expences and a little bonus paid of corse ;)
Kreem is krap (get it?). It may work for you in the short term, but someday, someone is going to REALLY regret it. I use POR-15 with great results. Check to see if your leak is at the hinge or at one of the fittings. If it's at the hinge bracket, POR-15 will probably fix it, but that hinge will get worse & worse as it continues to flex. You should have someone weld or braze the entire area. This can be done without ruining the paint on the topside. If you can't do this, at least apply some epoxy (like JB Weld) to the area.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Do an internet search, they ship it everywhere. If, by chance, they won't ship to your frozen north, PM me & I'll forward you a kit. Make sure you get the motorcycle specific kit, as it has everything you need to do the whole job.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Do an internet search, they ship it everywhere. If, by chance, they won't ship to your frozen north, PM me & I'll forward you a kit. Make sure you get the motorcycle specific kit, as it has everything you need to do the whole job.
What is the full name of that POR-15 ?? Is it called just POR-15 ?? Tried to search for POR-15 but came up just alot of crap on Google hehe
EDIT: i found it now......i had a typo ::)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
What Norm said. I personally don't care for putting stuff in the tank. If leaking near hinge, get welder to seal up the joint between mount and the tank itself like I did.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Epoxies are impervious to gasoline. JB Weld should work if the surface is properly prepped.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The problem is that because it is impervious to gas, if you don't get the area entirely clean the gas won't let the JB weld/epoxy stick to the metal.

Sand the area clean and flush it several times with isopropyl alcohol and you should get good adhesion. If the area is actually cracked, use an acid brush to get the alcohol down in the crack to flush out the gas.

--Fillmore

1 - 14 of 14 Posts