Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Ducati, my 695 has a 3.6 Gallon tank of which 0.8 gallons is reserve. Having ridden to the point that the fuel light comes on a couple of times, when I fill the tank up, I fill it up 2 gallons and you can see the fuel at the white insert that I think might be unique to CA models, but I'm not sure. The instructions say not to fill such that you can see the fuel above the white insert (but then how the hell do you know how much to fill it up).
So, what's the deal? Does my tank only have 2.8 gallons? Or does it have 3.6, and I'm not quite filling it up properly?
This is of concern to me, because I'd like to be doing rides of around 120 miles without gassing up, but according to my calculations, I can only seem to get about 70 miles before the fuel light comes on (granted this is city riding, not in the hills), and then maybe another 20 miles on reserve.

·
Registered
298 Posts
the light comes on for me at around 2.2 to 2.4 gallon s per fill up.
thats about 120-128 miles. the remaining amount of fuel is the reserve, and will get me about another 30 miles or so.
then again, i've never run mine dry.
just real close. and that fill up took 3.4 gallons.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
OK, so I am embarrassed to admit that I ran out of gas on my bike last weekend. I have gone 120-125 miles on a tank many times, but never beyond that. This time I new I needed gas, but was with a group and we were stopping on the next exit 1.5 miles ahead and of course I sputtered out and had to push the bike(even if it is a light bike, it is heavy after a mile on the flat). When I ran out the trip meter registered 113 miles with 14.8 into my gas light. 90 miles of this was city traffic driving, the rest was highway. I was having the same problems with only getting in a couple gallons before this, but this time it was empty, bone dry. I filled it to the top and got in 3 gallons. This is on the side stand so if the bike was completely verticle it may have gotten a little more, but not that much more. I no longer believe the 3.6 gallons for a plastic tank.

On a side note, how many miles do you have on your bike? When I first got my 695 the light was coming on real early, now it comes on after 100-110 miles. I would not trust it and just try to fill up every 100 miles or so. Learn from my mistake and you won't look like an idiot like I did (but that will never happen again).

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
This might or might not be relevant:

My 1997 M900 said in the owner's manual that it held 4.36 gallons. I ran it totally dry once and ended up hauling it to the gas station in the back of a pickup truck. I was curious how much fuel it would hold, and was able to put 4.8 gallons in there. That was probably above the point where it should be filled, and I felt the need to ride it a few miles before parking it in my garage just to be sure it wouldn't leak on my floor.

Still, it may hold more (or less) than the official documentation says.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ive never filled my bike on the stand, always vertical. Also always fill it above the white thing in the tank. On my last few rides I would fill up with around 80 miles on my trip meter and I would have to put in 1.2-1.4 gallons. Ive easily gone 110-130 before the light came on a couple times.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I filled up my M695 tank for the second time a few hours ago. The low fuel light came on, rode for 6 miles to a station and put in 2.85 gallons - just up the white insert with the bike vertical.

What an awesome day for a ride. Found some new roads. I love this bike.

BK

·
Registered
277 Posts
I too was worried when the fuel light came on. I figured that there was no way I was out of gas at 120 miles. I hadn't read that part of the owner's manual yet, so I was glad that I had just passed a gas station. I filled the tank all the way to the bottom of the fuel cap and I only put in around 2.7 gallons. I was very confused until I read the part in the manual where it talks about the auto switch to reserve tanks. I should be comfy now with the mileage between tanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts