Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone will offer some advice with a problem I'm having. My 2K M900ie hasn't been able to start for almost a year. I gave up on it last July and am hoping to make some progress once again.

I rode the bike home one night last June and it never started again. The starter cranks (and cranks) and I can smell the fuel. I have verified there's spark and even replaced the plugs. Everything seems perfectly fine, but it just won't start.

The one thing I can say for sure is that I don't hear the fuel pump 'hum' when I turn on the ignition. Even though I can smell the fuel as it cranks, I have to think that the problem is probably with the pump. Any thoughts or suggestions about how to go about troubleshooting the pump? Is this a part that is known to fail? Does it even seem like this could be the issue?

I know it's difficult to offer advice on these kinds of problems on-line but I'll appreciate help of any kind. The bike only has about 3K on it and I've never had any other problems with it. Hoping to ride it again though...

Thanks for any help offered!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I don't know much about fuel injection, but you might want to squirt some starter fluid into the throttle bodies to see if it will even kick.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well, first try checking the electrical plug in the wiring going to the tank, make sure it's plugged in securely.

That's definitely not right that the pump doesn't cycle when you turn the key on.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I wouldn't try to start anything with year old gas. Drain the old fuel and put some new stuff in there first thing.

You can always get some ether-based starter fluid to see if it will fire at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies on this. Here's what I've done:

+ Drained all the fuel and added a fresh gallon.
+ Shot some starter fluid into the throttle bodies. It turned over and quickly died.
+ Checked all fuses in the fuse block and they're all fine.
+ All lights work fine.
+ Verified the kill switch is in the 'on' position. ;D (no insult taken BTW)

- The fuel pump still doesn't do a start-up cycle at all. I think it's supposed to (at least my ST2 does).
- I followed the leads from the fuel pump but it goes to a harness leading to the fuse block under the seat.

Other than a faulty fuel pump, I do have 2 area's of possible interest.....

(1) I found 2 hoses leading from the gas tank not connected to anything. They are the 2 in the middle. The one at 5 o'clock is a smaller tube and most likely the overfill. The other one, at 7 o'clock, I think is from when I removed the charcoal canister a couple of years ago. But it does look like it should be connected to something. Although it still wouldn't answer why the fuel pump doesn't go through the start-up cycle.

(2) The one thing that came to mind is an Exoluzione side stand switch I also installed a couple of years ago. I don't remember anything about how I hooked it up so I can't test it. But I'm wondering if it were to malfunction, would it prohibit the FP from doing its' initial start-up cycle? As much as I like having the switch, it would be great to discover it as the culprit.

Thanks again for all the help and ideas. Hopefully the things I did will spark a few more and help get me back on the road again.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Those hoses are what you think they are, one is a drain/overfill from the gas cap well, the other is a vent tube to allow air in/out the tank as the gas level falls/rises.

I think you're on the right track suspecting that Evoluzione sidestand bypass. If you jumper the 2 wires that go to the sidestand together, it may light off.

Still a little disturbing that you've got spark and no fuel pump.....

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yep, I would try to bypass the whole sidestand kill first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I printed a copy of the side stand bypass installation instructions off of evoluzione.net. I "back-tracked" them as a reminder of how I originally installed it. As it turns out, I just had to pull the harness out and reconnect the original 'weather-pack' connectors. I left the splice into the neutral switch as is since the neutral indicator light works as it should.

But in the end, it did nothing. The pump still isn't starting up when the ignition gets switched on. There are 4 wires leading to the pump. I don't know what they are or where they come from, but it looks like I'll need to fiddle around with those a bit. Isn't there a connector of some sort inside the tank? I seem to remember one being in there but it was quite a while ago. Anyone know if any wierd fuses go to the pump?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have a tech manual for the Monster, but I do for my ST2. In looking at the wiring diagram for the ST2, it shows a lead to what looks like a relay then to a fuse (20amp) in the injection relay block. Under the seat, I see a few different relays but no 20a fuses.

I checked the 4 wire connector coming from the battery and using the red wire as negative and the grey wire as positive, I get 11 volts with the ignition on and 0 volts with the ignition off. So if that's the correct wiring assignment, it would indicate a fault with the fuel pump. Am I correct about this assumption? (I always thought red would always mean positive, but I now have to think color doesn't matter after it leaves the battery connections and enters a wiring harness)

I'd like to try infoage1's suggestion about applying direct power to the fuel pump but without knowing what the pinouts are, I may do more harm than good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the fuel pump out (what fun that was ::)) and tested the connection. It measured a half volt going into the pump, .052 volts to be exact. Anyone know if that's in line with what we should expect? At least now I know that (some) power is getting delivered to the pump. Whether it's enough is the remaining question. Kind of strange that 11v goes in and I can only measure .05v at the other end. I know the power goes through the fuel sensor but that just doesn't seem right.

I called the dealer to price a new pump. $200. I really hope it's something else because I can't forsee anytime in the future when I'll have that kind of money again.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for testing the pump to be absolutely sure?

Thanks as always!

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Can anyone offer a suggestion for testing the pump to be absolutely sure?

Thanks as always!
With the pump out of the bike and on the bench, jump it directly to a 12v source, like an extra battery or even a charger. Almost always, black is negative with DC. On my wiring diagram, pins 2 and 4 are negative (bk), 1 is the pump positive, and 3 is fuel level. My wiring diagram shows pin 1 as blue, but the wire that actually goes into the tank is red. Also, keep in mind, the pump circuit is only energized for a second or two when the key is first turned on, which would explain the volt drop-off if you're not to quick with your multi-meter. On my bike, the voltage goes to +11 something for about a second, and then drops to .06 like yours. Could also be that you have a problem with the connector or a break in the wire.

If I sound like I've had this problem recently....Turned out, I think, to have been a poor connection at the pump. But until I figure it out for sure, I'm carrying wrenches around to get inside the tank, because I'm sure my problem is/was in that wire that threads into the tank to the pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts